Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 29 Jun 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
metopicmamma
I want to go now!

water parks with a wheelchair ... possible or not?

hiya ,

need honest answers and a lot of help here has anyone been to the water parks with someone in a wheelchair ?

ds 1 will be 13 but mental age of about 8 /9 adhd amongst other things
ds2 will be 10 hes cool hes my right hand man !

daddy is paraplygic , confined to a chair but stubborn as hell ! obviously getting the wheels /frame wet isnt an issue , getting the fabrics wet is ok it will dry and so will he but getting his PR cushion wet is my asoloute nightmare its not somthing we can get a spare to take ( think gold dust hand us the dmaged one and you can have a new one )

im guessing there will be bits where he can be sat on the floor to dabble his legs and maybe bits he can float about in a baby pool?

im just not sure if i should figure water parks into our days or not .
metopicmamma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 17, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Yes I would have a look at the water park maps but I think you will be fine, there are ramps and sloping paths to get you to the main water level of the 2 main pools at either park, and both are zero entry pools so it is like walking into a shallow sea, also at typhoon lagoon there is a very shallow paddling type pool that is no more than a few inches depp you can wheel a chair into I would imagine.
Old 29 Jun 17, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
metopicmamma
I want to go now!

thankyou x x so long as there is somewhere i can tip him in the water / on the land so he can do his merman slither im sure we will be fine , he can bob about in the shallows while we do the rides i guess .
metopicmamma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 17, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

both pools have wave machine running, I think it is every other half an hour which makes them fun, blizzard beach is far less rough than typhoon lagoon 😁, enjoy your holiday x
Old 29 Jun 17, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

bestoforlando/article...l-wheelchairs/

Try this article specifically about wheelchairs in water parks.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 17, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

I would count one in. We found Blizzard Beach easier to get space in the shade, with a wheel chair and in a none sand area.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 17, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We have done blizzard beach typhoon lagoon and aquatica with my son who use.a wheelchair all are good the lazy rivers are a favourite as with a float the current takes him round on his own. Just be careful as the pool floors are very rough. My son can crawl in the shallow bits but has to wear leggings to provide some protection otherwise his legs would be a mess.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 17, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Are you doing Aquatica? if so then I would recommend getting sun loungers by the entrance to Roa Rapids ( the back part of the park rather than by the beach) as there is plenty of water there where you can push the wheelchair in for your husband to get into...I did this with my wife and it worked well
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 17, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
our son is quadrapletic . can only speak about Disney water parks. they offer a wheelchair especially for the water. my son cant transfer so we cant use it but they are awful nice each year coming up to us and offering it to us.

there is a bit at grush n gusher its zero entry so we push our son in there until the water is over his ankles to keep him cool and there is shaded bits also

we also take him to the wave pool but keep him up at the very top (zero entry here also) as the waves can be strong even at the top so any further and he would get his cushion wet.
I wouldn't recommend him sitting at the wave pool unless he was sure when the waves were as the waves can knock an able bodied person over very easyly

as for access you can get all round the water parks, we go and watch his brother and dad go down the shutes and our grandson in the childrens bit

Edited at 10:34 AM.
Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List