Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 12 Jul 17, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Disney with a blind child

Hi all. Not got another trip planned sadly mostly because we don't know how our 4.5 yr old daughter would cope. She is completely blind and obviously Disney is very visual. We wouldn't be goung until she is at least 7 and our son 5 but I was wondering if anyone had ever been with a blind child and would mind sharing their experiences. Do and don'ts, things Disney do great and maybe not so good and nust general getting about type stuff. Might help make our minds up about whether or not to book.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
wellbehaved
Getting Excited

I can't offer advice, but Disney is not just a visual place. The music and scents are all part of it, as well as all the tastes and textures. Cast members are trained to deal with all abilities and if they can 'sign', I am sure they are able to describe things too. It will be wonderful for her and you too.

Pam
wellbehaved is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

I can't help, I'm afraid, but I do agree with the pp that the theme parks utilise all the senses.

There should be Dibbers who will be able share experiences; hopefully they'll pop on very soon. There must be forums/groups/FB etc., that you could join, and I'm sure Disney itself must have someone who could advise you. How about contacting Disney's customer services/relations (or whatever it's called) and see if they can advise you of provisions that are available at each park that will support and enhance your DD's enjoyment of each park.

It would be wonderful for you all to go - I hope you do.

ETA: There's a Special Needs section on the Dibb that has loads of info - pop along there, or maybe even ask for your thread to be moved there, where more Dibbers in the know will see it.

Edited at 04:50 PM.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Disney can offer many things that will enhance a blind child's experience in a Disney park.

see here:

disneyworld.disney.go/gu...lity-services/
Old 12 Jul 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanks everyone x
Old 12 Jul 17, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Years ago I visited a theme park outside New York with friends of my aunt's. They were adults and both completely blind. They had a fantastic time and did everything. They were a complete inspiration to me as a child. I was always amazed that he could navigate New York with a cane for his job a a piano tuner! I am sure your daughter would be able to enjoy Disney once she has adjusted to her blindness.
Old 12 Jul 17, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Gjdjud has a daughter with a visual impairment. If you look on the trip reports section on here he is part way through his trip report.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Gjdjud has a daughter with a visual impairment. If you look on the trip reports section on here he is part way through his trip report.
Oh thank you I'll have a search
Old 12 Jul 17, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Going to move this over to the special needs forum where you might get more answers

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List