Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 17 Jul 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Amazing-Grace
Imagineer

Amazing-Grace's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by Island mamma View Post
My DH has just been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. We know the principles of controlling blood sugar but can any Dibbers share their diabetes friendly meal options and recipes. He's a big meat lover but eats most veg and salads too. Has a sweet tooth that we are working on, but trying to focus on the things he likes that are low or very low sugar.
Hi did you find a sweet & sour recipe?
If not weight watchers do a fab Fanta chicken recipe that tastes exactly like s&s, sugar free Fanta of course x
Old 17 Jul 20, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thank you for sharing your husband's positive story. Mine is feeling quite overwhelmed at the moment and it's good to hear of someone doing well
Mine was too and we felt we had to do a lot of research ourselves. He had to learn what he could tolerate by monitoring his bloods. Have you being doing that?
Old 17 Jul 20, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ciano View Post
Mine was too and we felt we had to do a lot of research ourselves. He had to learn what he could tolerate by monitoring his bloods. Have you being doing that?
Not yet cos he doesn't have his kit yet. Has practice nurse on Tuesday for BP etc, ultrasound of his pancreas Wednesday then video appointment with the diabetes nurse the following week. Still to hear from podiatry for his foot check and optometrist for retinopathy check. GP talking about diet control but using medication ( I presume Metformin) initially till his sugars are under control.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 20, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Amazing-Grace View Post
Hi did you find a sweet & sour recipe?
If not weight watchers do a fab Fanta chicken recipe that tastes exactly like s&s, sugar free Fanta of course x
Yes I found one online that I'm going to try. May try the weight watchers one too, thank you.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Not yet cos he doesn't have his kit yet. Has practice nurse on Tuesday for BP etc, ultrasound of his pancreas Wednesday then video appointment with the diabetes nurse the following week. Still to hear from podiatry for his foot check and optometrist for retinopathy check. GP talking about diet control but using medication ( I presume Metformin) initially till his sugars are under control.
Sounds like he is in good hands. Nurse will help greatly. Tablets will be a big help too. Just tell him to have patience it takes time to get it right. He can still have a treat when he gets on top of it. Best of luck.
Old 27 Jul 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

My Dad got diagnosed with this, borderline, and rather than medication changed his diet, he cut carbs and sugar, and lost three stone, and has no medication now, and his blood sugar levels are balanced - the diabetic nurse said she wished everyone would be like him! Its basically Keto diet, lots of chicken, fish, meat, cheese, nuts, veg, (no potatoes) no sweetie or cakes or biccies!

Easy swaps - burger bun - use big flat mushrooms instead
Boiled egg - soldiers - use steamed asparagus instead of toast
Dessert - cubes of cheese with few blueberries, pecan nuts etc.

Not easy for fussy eaters, but can be done. The good thing, no measuring, weighing, point counting, syns etc.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List