Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 5 Jun 17, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by inky1 View Post
I don't need a wheelchair and I can walk an unlimited distance but ,put it this way I might need to leave the queue before I get to the ride Do I need a letter from my GP ?
You don't need a letter from your GP but you can take one if you want to. They cannot ask to see proof, however, you would need to explain why you are unable to queue, so if you would find it easier to show them a letter rather than tell them, you can do that. It's up to you.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

As others have said, just explain the situation to the CM and they will sort it for you. I am night blind and just explain every year my issues and they sort it. Remember to take all the passes/magic bands of your party with you to guest services so they can link it to all the bands (they can put up to 5 other people and you I believe on one DAS) that way they stay with you. It only allows you to skip one line at a time but works well.
Old 6 Jun 17, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
elmspenguin
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by inky1 View Post
I don't need a wheelchair and I can walk an unlimited distance but ,put it this way I might need to leave the queue before I get to the ride Do I need a letter from my GP ?
Hello, DW has an condition which is currently invisible although she does get tired but like you doesn't need a chair but another symptom means she may need to leave a queue quickly for a minute or 2.

She went to guest services and explained about needing to leave the queue and her reason and condition why and that she just wanted to be able to get back in it to join us at the same point without any problems. The CM said that wasn't possible to do but she was able to have the DAS so it wouldn't be an issue. Me and DD had to go and get added to it, this was in 2015. Although we only used it a couple of times over our holiday as most queues were not to long, it gave her piece of mind.

She will be going to guest services again this year to see about getting it again.
Old 6 Jun 17, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Gems09
Excited about Disney

Mobile

So if someone who has Crohns wants a DAS card they have to get a wheelchair? Ridiculous if that's the case
Gems09 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
WendyBelle
Excited about Disney

Ah yes, I was at work sneaking quickly on here when I linked to the wrong bit! but my advice still stands , if you read back when I replied at no point had the OP said it WASN'T a stamina issue, just that it was invisible.
In my post I said IF it was stamina related (such as arthritis in hips or knees or feet etc) making it painful to stand or walk too far) then the CMs would say use a wheelchair, and wheelchair users no longer get DAS is what I was saying.
Of course if there are other issues such as crohns for one then that would be different, I didn't say it wouldn't be.
Button was talking about his own daughters particular case which may well be different but MOST stamina related cases as above would be advised to rent a wheelchair or scooter. To say I was 'wrong' point blank was out of order!
To Inky1 I hope you find a way to explain to a CM your issues, perhaps ask to go somewhere private to discuss it as it can get very busy in the waiting area.
Old 7 Jun 17, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for your advice everyone I had to ask as I don't usually like to ask for help but don't want to make myself ill while out there either
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 17, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gems09 View Post
So if someone who has Crohns wants a DAS card they have to get a wheelchair? Ridiculous if that's the case
No you don't, you just have to talk to a CM at guest services and they will sort it. They suggest getting a wheelchair instead of a DAS as its less hassle - you don't have to keep saying at each ride I need this put on my DAS etc. However you can go and explain your condition and the CMs should just add the DAS. I've never been questioned about having a DAS rather than a wheelchair for my visual condition they have always just asked what I need it for and sorted it.

Edited at 08:51 AM.
gismo1554 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 17, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gems09 View Post
That wasn't what was suggested.
Being in a wheelchair wouldn't even qualify you for a DAS card.
For stamina issues you are advised to get a wheelchair and you won't need a DAS card.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 17, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
baileyboo108
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

Sorry - could I please clarify?

My DD (16) has chronic pain and fatigue and is on crutches long-term - even though she in no way needs a wheelchair usually we are taking a lightweight one to minimise her walking/standing.

However she ALSO has anxiety and low mood (due to her condition) and suffers from panic attacks from time-to-time. As such, long queues in a confined space, in the heat of the summer, particularly if dark or noisy, would be very difficult for her to manage.

So she has 2 very real difficulties. I had hoped (perhaps wrongly) she would qualify for DAS due to this second issue, NOT the mobility issue. Perhaps people will assume it's the mobility issue if they see her in the chair or on crutches but it's not - I'm just trying to find a way for her to enjoy Disney as much as she can. Presumably I can explain all of this to guest services?
baileyboo108 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 17, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by baileyboo108 View Post
Sorry - could I please clarify?

My DD (16) has chronic pain and fatigue and is on crutches long-term - even though she in no way needs a wheelchair usually we are taking a lightweight one to minimise her walking/standing.

However she ALSO has anxiety and low mood (due to her condition) and suffers from panic attacks from time-to-time. As such, long queues in a confined space, in the heat of the summer, particularly if dark or noisy, would be very difficult for her to manage.

So she has 2 very real difficulties. I had hoped (perhaps wrongly) she would qualify for DAS due to this second issue, NOT the mobility issue. Perhaps people will assume it's the mobility issue if they see her in the chair or on crutches but it's not - I'm just trying to find a way for her to enjoy Disney as much as she can. Presumably I can explain all of this to guest services?

I think a DAS would be great for her. Just explain at Guest Relations about her anxiety and enclosed spaces and I'm sure there won't be a problem. Have a great holiday xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List