Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 26 Jun 17, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshie35
Excited about Disney

Mobile Epilepsy medication

Hi everyone.
Our DD11 has just been diagnosed with Focal Epilepsy. She also has CP and Autism.
We started medication on Friday which is called carbamazepine.
Is anyone familiar with this?
Our DD is extremely tired and sleeping 12+ hours and complaining of headaches.
Any advice appreciated as the Epilepsy nurse is off on annual leave for 2 weeks.
Thanks for reading.
Welshie35 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

I would contact your GP or the professional who prescribed the medication. The tiredness should decrease but the headaches are worth mentioning to the GP.
Old 26 Jun 17, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
sunsetlakes
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
It is a known side effect but you should contact your Doctor for advice - I hope your daughter is soon feeling better
sunsetlakes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshie35
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks.
We have been to see the GP and DD been checked over and all ok.
They said the tiredness will pass one the medication settles in.
Thanks for your replies.
Welshie35 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My mum was on a seizure medication after her brain bleed and brain surgery, she had to take it for 1 year after her surgery due to a stent and coil being fitted in her brain. She was so sleepy and groggy constantly, but she has now been slowly weaned off the medication and isn't as tired as she was.

Maybe best to speak with your GP.
Old 26 Jun 17, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

I take it for pain relief, initially it made me very sleepy but after about a week that stopped.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mummymagic
Earning More Ears

Hi, DS 11 was prescribed carbamazepine last year and we had huge problems with it - if your DD comes out in a rash please, please get her checked at a and e urgently - DS was in liver failure by the time it was picked up as we were not made aware of the increased risks associated with this particular drug. He started with headaches, loss of appetite etc. I'm not meaning to scare you in anyway but I wish someone had made us aware! X

Edited to add that the gp didn't pick it up at first despite us actually asking if it could be related - it was only when he was admitted to hospital and they ran liver function tests etc it came to light!

Edited at 12:42 PM.
Mummymagic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 17, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Mobile

DD has Tegretol (carbamazepine), it can make her tired at times but she should soon settle.x
Old 6 Jul 17, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

I also take carbamazepine for pain relief and was a zombie initially but once we adjusted the dose it settled down. Keep in touch with GP and nurse when she's back.
I do get frequent headaches but am never sure if that's due to meds or other conditions I have.
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Ali C
Excited about Disney

Ali C's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I have been on Carbamazepine for over 30 years and I can honestly say I have had no side effects,it was the only medication that settled my epilepsy down. My DD was diagnosed with sleep related epilepsy when she was 8 years old and after trying other medications it was the only one to settle her epilepsy down and she has been fit free for nearly 10 years.

Hopefully any tiredness your DD is experiencing will settle once her system gets used to the medication.