Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 18 Jul 17, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Airport/plane assistance- help please

Hi we are flying Stanstead to MCO in 18 days. First time flying with daughter in a wheelchair and unable to walk/stand. We are flying with Thomas Cook and I have submitter their assistance request online form asking to take her manual chair right up to the plane.

Do I also need to contact Stanstead and MCO airports? What does airport assistance actually mean? Do we do the normal check in security etc on our own and then get help at the gate - never needed to know before and suddenly wondering how it all works and never flown from either of these airports before- any help gratefully received.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 17, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
No need to contact anybody else. Our son has CP and a wheelchair user. If you need help through the airport you can ask (usually for people without a career). We as parents just say to meet the assistance at the gate. Don't worry it's easy and you'll be fine. Usually you are taken on first before other flyers, then you get off last at the other end. Sometimes your own chair will meet you at the plane other times you need to transfer into an airport wheelchair and yours will be waiting at the carousel with the buggies/pushchairs.
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 17, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
If you have any other questions just ask, we travelled loads of places with Evan and the assistance is pretty standard in all countries
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you so much for replying- and putting my mind at rest. Its a bit daunting first time. Looks like we might be out there at about the same time- so excited...
Old 19 Jul 17, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post

You've done the right thing in booking 'special assistance' with the airline. That's all you need to do. When you check in at Stanstead, or even before, you'll be directed to the airport's own special assistance team. They'll take you through security all the way to the departure gate. If your wheelchair is too big to wheel on to the aircraft, they'll transfer your daughter to a smaller version for the final part and take your wheelchair off for loading into the hold.

On arrival at MCO, don't worry about people rushing off the plane quckly, the regulars do it all the time. You'll be left until the rush subsides and then offloaded and taken through a special queue in immigration which is much shorter than the rest. The assistant knows where your luggage will appear and will usually collect it for you. They will then push you through to the monorail and the exit - and expect a tip! They're worth it though.

Please insist on special assistance on your return from MCO. I failed to do so and got stuck in the 'normal' security queue for over an hour.
Old 19 Jul 17, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Originally Posted by Hopey View Post
Thank you so much for replying- and putting my mind at rest. Its a bit daunting first time. Looks like we might be out there at about the same time- so excited...
No problem, and yes we'll be over there at the same time 🤗
Old 19 Jul 17, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

I'd also check to see if you need to check in a bit earlier than you would do normally- I know I've had to when flying indirect from Newcastle.
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List