Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 19 Jan 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by HermioneFuzzle View Post
I've found this so good to read, it's food for thought for future trips. This year is Orlando-centred whilst the kids are still fairly young. We've done a bit of Miami and the keys on previous trips, I've never felt like we know much about the Gulf coast to go and visit.

My hit list is: AMI
Naples
Indian shores- (we stayed here donkeys years ago on a package combined with Orlando!)
Looking at AMI accommodation and it's hard to find apartments for less than 7 nights (we want to do 5). I've looked at the recommendations upthread and am going to risk a stupid question: is Holmes Beach/Bradenton within the area posters are recommending, or should i look solely at AMI?
Holmes Beach is the middle ‘section’ of AMI, to the north is Anna Maria and to the south Bradenton Beach. Bradenton itself is a town on the mainland. You drive through there to reach AMI itself

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've found this so good to read, it's food for thought for future trips. This year is Orlando-centred whilst the kids are still fairly young. We've done a bit of Miami and the keys on previous trips, I've never felt like we know much about the Gulf coast to go and visit.

My hit list is: AMI
Naples
Indian shores- (we stayed here donkeys years ago on a package combined with Orlando!)
Looking at AMI accommodation and it's hard to find apartments for less than 7 nights (we want to do 5). I've looked at the recommendations upthread and am going to risk a stupid question: is Holmes Beach/Bradenton within the area posters are recommending, or should i look solely at AMI?
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Holmes Beach is the middle ‘section’ of AMI, to the north is Anna Maria and to the south Bradenton Beach. Bradenton itself is a town on the mainland. You drive through there to reach AMI itself
If you approach Holmes Beach through Bradenton (city not beach) you'll arrive on State Road 64 at these lights.

Go straight over for plenty of free parking, a shop and toilets. There's also a stop for the free AMI trolley and you can choose to travel either direction from here or start a complete loop and just stay on board.

Mick
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
HermioneFuzzle
Excited about Disney

Thanks mick and smithlane, I get it now! I've been looking on homeaway and there are some condos that aren't crazy expensive in Anna Maria, but the most seem to be on Holmes Beach/Bradenton.
Any recommendations for anywhere to stay, general area gratefully received. Currently looking at Barefoot by the bay condos.
HermioneFuzzle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Thanks mick and smithlane, I get it now! I've been looking on homeaway and there are some condos that aren't crazy expensive in Anna Maria, but the most seem to be on Holmes Beach/Bradenton.
Any recommendations for anywhere to stay, general area gratefully received. Currently looking at Barefoot by the bay condos.
In 2017 we stayed at Tortuga Inn in Bradenton Beach. I can highly recommend! Take a look at my trip report for photos and more info.
We would have stayed there again in 2018 but as we were staying for a week we thought it would be nice to try a house with its own pool but I would have no hesitation staying at the TI again.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Sounds like you’ve got a great road trip planned, what’s your itinerary?
Garland in LA, then Grand Californian Disney Land, then Elara Las Vegas, Jung New Orleans, then this house on 30A, then Copper Creek at WDW. Flying LV to New Orleans as it’s the same distance from here to Tunisia.
Old 20 Jan 20, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Can't help on accommodation I'm afraid as we only ever go for day trips.

Mick
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
HermioneFuzzle
Excited about Disney

Have been away looking at prices for AMI. They are expensive, but that just seems to be the way it is. The kids aren’t too keen on the relatively small pools though. Does anyone have any recommendations of accommodation with a large pool, near the beach with places to eat nearby please? Looking at AMI. However, i’m wondering if Naples might be a better bet, or even Fort Myers beach. We want somewhere laid back, but with some low key things to do apart from pool/beach.
Any recommendations gratefully received!
HermioneFuzzle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Have been away looking at prices for AMI. They are expensive, but that just seems to be the way it is. The kids aren’t too keen on the relatively small pools though. Does anyone have any recommendations of accommodation with a large pool, near the beach with places to eat nearby please? Looking at AMI. However, i’m wondering if Naples might be a better bet, or even Fort Myers beach. We want somewhere laid back, but with some low key things to do apart from pool/beach.
Do you mean the pools that come with a house/villa or are you looking at a communal pool in a condo complex?

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
We've stayed at Fort Myers Beach a couple of times. It was a normal and average Holiday Inn on the beach but nothing special and as it was over 15 years ago it's probably changed its name a few times.

Lots of decent restaurants along the beach though.

If you or your children are interested in industrial or engineering history though as a change from the beach then this is worth a half day's visit.
It's in FM town rather than on FMB

edisonfordwinterestates/

Mick
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
HermioneFuzzle
Excited about Disney

I’m thinking communal pool in a complex or hotel. The kids spend forever in the pool.