Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 16 Jul 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracyjj0
Imagineer

Mobile Beware when you cancel a villa. Travel Insurance claim

I booked a villa for 25th July, from a private renter. BA cancelled my flights on 5th June. I believe government advice was in place against non-essential travel to USA. I let the villa owner know we’d have to cancel and she provided a letter for my insurance claim with Nationwide Flex Plus Insurance through my bank account, for my deposit. The insurance company just rang to say that, as I’d cancelled more than 28 days before travel, they won’t be paying out on the claim! I’m annoyed as had I known I would have asked the owner to hold off the cancellation paperwork until 28 days before (She’d already said I could wait until 3 weeks before going to pay the balance due to the current situation). Just wanted to warn others in a similar situation
Old 16 Jul 20, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Is there anything in your policy that refers to that 28 day rule?
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I work in Insurance. Your refund should come from the Villa owner where possible. Why have they not paid out? They cannot provide the goods they have sold to you so legally they should refund you.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracyjj0
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
Is there anything in your policy that refers to that 28 day rule?
I’m going to go through the huge policy booklet this evening- I’m sure it will be there, but I just didn’t even think to check, as we weren’t allowed to travel to Florida as per government advice. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and obviously in future I’d check - just want to make others aware, so that they’re not caught out too
Old 16 Jul 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracyjj0
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
I work in Insurance. Your refund should come from the Villa owner where possible. Why have they not paid out? They cannot provide the goods they have sold to you so legally they should refund you.
The problem there is that there wasn’t any rules in place to say they couldn’t rent out their villa. Had I been in Florida already I could still have stayed there I guess. I’ve heard that some villa owners are claiming on their own insurance policies and refunding customers deposits. In fairness to the owner she has offered me a credit note for a future stay, in the event of my insurance not paying out, but as we we’re not planning on going back until 2022 I’m not sure she’ll extend it that far. I’ll contact her again and see what she says.
Old 16 Jul 20, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tracyjj0 View Post
The problem there is that there wasn’t any rules in place to say they couldn’t rent out their villa. Had I been in Florida already I could still have stayed there I guess. I’ve heard that some villa owners are claiming on their own insurance policies and refunding customers deposits. In fairness to the owner she has offered me a credit note for a future stay, in the event of my insurance not paying out, but as we we’re not planning on going back until 2022 I’m not sure she’ll extend it that far. I’ll contact her again and see what she says.
I think you need to investigate this claim as there was mandate for stopping villa rentals. Perhaps villa owners can comment.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Villa Rentals have been allowed for some time now
They began to open back up in May

Edited at 05:47 PM.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

We weren’t able to stay at a private rental villa and Nationwide paid out for the deposit no problem.
But I didn’t claim until after we should of stayed and it was during that time when villa owners weren’t allowed to rent out.
Definitely worth reading through everything and challenging it.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tracyjj0 View Post
Villa owners are not covered by any insurance, this is why they encourage renters to claim on theirs.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracyjj0
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post