Old 17 Jul 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
The villa owner was able to provide the stay - it’s not their fault if the customer can’t get there.
Villa owners are still not allowed to rent to international visitors so they should provide full refunds.

I and many others have received full refunds from Dibb villa owners.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Try AirBNB/HomeAway. They have better cancellation policies
Do they now? Are you sure about that?

Are you a villa owner who uses either of these platforms?

I find the insistence of someone who works insurance telling people not to claim on their insurance very strange and rather suspicious.

Edited at 09:02 AM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 20, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Villa owners are still not allowed to rent to international visitors so they should provide full refunds.
This is categorically incorrect, please stop posting such misinformation. There are very few restrictions now on who we can rent to and the restrictions which are around insist on quarantine for visitors from various places, not a blanket ban on rentals.

Whether villa owners are prepared to rent is an entirely different question and is an individual decision.

Debra
Old 17 Jul 20, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I find the insistence of someone who works insurance telling people not to claim on their insurance very strange and rather suspicious.
The first thing the insurer will tell you is to ask for the refund from the supplier ( I.e villa owner in this case). This is not just my company but also Nationwide, direct line etc.

People have been trying to claim for virgin flights when it should be the supplier paying out. This is consumer law and not the insurers trying to get out of paying
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 20, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The first thing the insurer will tell you is to ask for the refund from the supplier ( I.e villa owner in this case). This is not just my company but also Nationwide, direct line etc.

People have been trying to claim for virgin flights when it should be the supplier paying out. This is consumer law and not the insurers trying to get out of paying
We have been asked by guests to provide proof for the insurers and they have subsequently been paid out.

Of course insurance companies never try to get out of paying do they?
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

Of course they will tell you this as insurance Is there to pay out when nobody else is obliged to.
However, the villa owner shouldn’t be paying out if they are able to provide their side of the contract. The T&C’s are there at the time of booking.
I’m not a villa owner but I think it’s out of order that they are regularly getting criticised for doing absolutely nothing wrong! Most I see on here are really helpful and have bent over backwards to help people but they can’t be expected to bear the cost and lose money when they have done nothing wrong.
I worked for an insurance company many years ago and have worked against them for over 20 years. I’m well aware of their policies and practices
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
So, to repeat my earlier question, is the 28 day thing to do with Foreign Office advice not to travel?

If that is the case then it's pretty outrageous if insurance companies won't pay if someone cancelled too early if the advice remains in place within 28 days of travelling. I can't believe the Financial Ombudsman Service would deem that acceptable, especially if you'd cancelled early to minimise your losses.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

So, to repeat my earlier question, is the 28 day thing to do with Foreign Office advice not to travel?

If that is the case then it's pretty outrageous if insurance companies won't pay if someone cancelled too early if the advice remains in place within 28 days of travelling. I can't believe the Financial Ombudsman Service would deem that acceptable, especially if you'd cancelled early to minimise your losses.
Just to play "devils advocate" here I would assume that the insurance would/ view the "current FO advice" as being just that - and could have changed in the period between you cancelling and the expected travel date.
Old 17 Jul 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
Mobile

The Flex policy states

9. FCO travel advice ‘All but essential travel’: in the 28 days before your trip start date the Foreign & Commonwealth Office advise against ‘All but essential travel’ to your destination. The advice must have come into force after you opened your Nationwide FlexPlus current account, or booked your trip whichever is later.
Old 17 Jul 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
Just to play "devils advocate" here I would assume that the insurance would/ view the "current FO advice" as being just that - and could have changed in the period between you cancelling and the expected travel date.
...and that's absolutely fair enough - IF the advice did change.

But the fact is it hasn't. For the claim to be denied seems unfair to me.

Of course this is just my opinion but the Financial Ombudsman Service usually sides with common sense so I would be minded to make a complaint.

Especially as early cancellation could have saved the insurance company money. I supppose perversely it did - they used 'small print' to deny the claim completely!
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List