Notices

Old 24 May 12, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
aims1982
Getting Excited

New York pre-trippie kicking off my 30th celebrations!

It has just hit me today that next Sunday we will be on our way to New York! It doesn't seem that long ago that I had booked the flights and was driving my husband, Mum and my friend and fellow dibber Cupcake crazy deciding on our hotel.

We have been to New York before, Toby once and me twice (yes going through JFK for our connecting flight back from Florida counts )

We went properly in April 2007 when my SIL had my DN, my brother and SIL lived there for a year and my Dad celebrated his 60th at the same time. This trip is going to be very different as we had our DS1 with us last time who was 18 months old and were back in the hotel earlyish. My parents are kindly going to have DS1 and DS2 and this is our first break ever without the children. Hmm, that was quite hard to write. Thank goodness for FaceTime!

So, it's just going to be me, Amy and my husband, Toby. I don't actually turn 30 until the 8th June, so I am going to eek the birthday celebrations out!

These are the plans so far and feedback is most welcome!

We are staying over at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel on Saturday 2nd June.

I have arranged parking in the short stay car park via the BAA website and paid £60.

SUNDAY 3 JUNE 2012

We fly on Sunday morning at 9:30 with Virgin, we have used our Flying Club miles and are flying in PE. We arrive at JFK at 12:20pm

Using Groupon, I bagged a voucher from GroundLink for £24 to collect us from JFK to take us to our hotel. The £24 includes tips but not the tolls.

We are staying at The London NYC My main factors in choosing the hotel, free wifi and the fact that is was an all suite hotel and so we would have a bit of room. Although we are not going to spending too much time in the room I am going to turn 30 once, lets do it in style! Plus, I used my Avios points and so no cash was spent! I exchanged £250 of Tesco vouchers and got this hotel for three nights as opposed to £1000+ if I had booked the hotel direct.

I have purchased open TOTR Tickets and am hoping to get to see the sun set over the city on our first night, based on a sunset of 20:23. Again, this is a rough plan.

I also do an ADR at 5 Napkin Burger in Hell's Kitchen based on my colleagues recommendation. Obviously this depends if we do TOTR.

MONDAY 4 JUNE 2012

We are going to have breakfast near the hotel, just see what takes our fancy. We have plans to catch the 10am boat of the Circle Line Sightseeing Cruise. I have booked the full island tour which is 3 hours in duration. I am not too good on boats... Maybe not such a good idea.

Following this we will find somewhere close to the pier to grab some lunch and then we will have a wander round Central Park, spot The Plaza (big Home Alone fan here!) FAO Schwarz to pick up some things for the boys, pay homage at THE Apple Store . Bloomingdales and Dylan's Candy Bar. Following this it will be time to go back to the hotel and get changed and relax. We have a reservation at The View at the Marriott Marquis. Again, this was on a few recommendations on friends and colleagues, based on the amazing cocktails. After this reservation depending on what time we will get out of the restaurant we may have a look around Times Square, although I doubt it as the table isn't booked until 9pm.

TUESDAY 5 JUNE 2012

We have tickets for the 9/11 Memorial at 11am and then off to Ellis Island at 2pm. I also purchased another Groupon bike hire which was £25.50 for both of us. The company is Blazing Saddles and gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. The plan is to bike across the Brooklyn Bridge get some pizza (as long as the line isn't crazy) at Grimaldi's and some ice cream at Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory and take in the views of Lower Manhattan. We will then cycle over the Manhattan Bridge to return the bikes. I should imagine we will be beat and will rest at the hotel.

WEDNESDAY 6 JUNE 2012

Our last day in New York. Our flight isn't until 22:20 and so I am going to try and get a late check out at the hotel. I would like to have a wander through the High Line and go to Grand Central Station. I am leaning towards a picnic in Central Park organised via the hotel and just enjoy our last few hours in the city. I have purchased another GroundLink Groupon voucher and will arrange for us to be collected at 6pm from the hotel. We are flying UC back (gotta love those Flying Club Miles) and so will using the Clubhouse at JFK have our dinner in the Clubhouse, have our treatment then change into our pjs ready for the flight home

THURSDAY 7 JUNE

When we land we are going to go to the Revivals Lounge and freshen up (can you tell I am making the most of the UC experience and child-free travel?!) we will then collect the car and head straight to my parents to give the boys kisses and cuddles!

Any feedback and ideas would be gratefully welcomed.

Thank you for reading my pre-trippie! x
1994, International Drive- The Summer of Wet N Wild!
Christmas 1996, Fort Myers
Christmas 1997, Fort Myers
Christmas 2006, Emerald Island
February 2009, Bella Vida Villa and Contemporary Resort
August 2010, Newport Bay Club, DLP
Christmas 2011, Bella Vida Villa, Bay Lake Tower and Royal Pacific Resort
June 2012 New York pre 30th trip

Edited at 11:05 PM.
aims1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 12, 05:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Cupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Cupcake's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Excellent pre trip report Amy. I have no idea whether the actual logistics of the plan are good but it looks good on paper. Make sure you have allowed enough time for buying my pressie in Bloomingdales, for being such an awesome friend!
Old 25 May 12, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Originally Posted by aims1982 View Post
We fly on Sunday morning at 9:30 with Virgin, we have used our Flying Club miles and are flying in PE. We arrive at JFK at 12:20pm

Using Groupon, I bagged a voucher from GroundLink for £24 to collect us from JFK to take us to our hotel. The £24 includes tips but not the tolls.
Great Savings!

We are staying at The London NYC My main factors in choosing the hotel, free wifi and the fact that is was an all suite hotel and so we would have a bit of room. Although we are not going to spending too much time in the room I am going to turn 30 once, lets do it in style! Plus, I used my Avios points and so no cash was spent! I exchanged £250 of Tesco vouchers and got this hotel for three nights as opposed to £1000+ if I had booked the hotel direct.
Awww we wanted to stay here, it looks amazing, you're right though it is expensive, glad you didn't pay a penny!

I have purchased open TOTR Tickets and am hoping to get to see the sun set over the city on our first night, based on a sunset of 20:23. Again, this is a rough plan.
We aimed for sunset too and it was an amazing experience

We are going to have breakfast near the hotel, just see what takes our fancy.
you aren't far from columbus circle, perhaps try some of the bakeries around there.

We have plans to catch the 10am boat of the Circle Line Sightseeing Cruise. I have booked the full island tour which is 3 hours in duration. I am not too good on boats... Maybe not such a good idea.
That does seem like a long time to spend on a boat considering the length of your stay. However I've heard good things about the company so I'm sure it will be FAB!

Following this we will find somewhere close to the pier to grab some lunch
Barbarini on front street is yum, check out my trippie for pics. If italian isn't your thing there's some other fab bars and restaurants in the area

and then we will have a wander round Central Park, spot The Plaza (big Home Alone fan here!) FAO Schwarz to pick up some things for the boys, pay homage at THE Apple Store . Bloomingdales and Dylan's Candy Bar.
great plan!

After this reservation depending on what time we will get out of the restaurant we may have a look around Times Square, although I doubt it as the table isn't booked until 9pm.
That's not a bad pan though, times square is PACKED so the later you leave it the better as it may be marginally quiet

We have tickets for the 9/11 Memorial at 11am and then off to Ellis Island at 2pm. I also purchased another Groupon bike hire which was £25.50 for both of us. The company is Blazing Saddles and gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. The plan is to bike across the Brooklyn Bridge get some pizza (as long as the line isn't crazy) at Grimaldi's and some ice cream at Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory and take in the views of Lower Manhattan. We will then cycle over the Manhattan Bridge to return the bikes. I should imagine we will be beat and will rest at the hotel.
The bridge took us 30mins to walk so I don't think you'll have issues by bike. Lots of people had placed padlocks on the bridge (not convince this is in anyway legal) with love notes and birthday messages. Maybe get one to take with you!

There were lines at Grimaldi's even at 3pm on our trip so plan for a short wait at least

Our last day in New York. Our flight isn't until 22:20 and so I am going to try and get a late check out at the hotel.
If they don't let you most still have baggage drops, We had the same flight time too.

I would like to have a wander through the High Line and go to Grand Central Station.
The highline was stunning, it's very near to chelsea markets to grab some yummy food too

I am leaning towards a picnic in Central Park organised via the hotel and just enjoy our last few hours in the city.
We planned out own but only managed to do half of it. We planned to get sanwiches from boulud and cakes from bouchon. They are across the road from each other. Zabars also it's far from the park, you could get supplies from there easily too.

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 12, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
aims1982
Getting Excited

We aimed for sunset too and it was an amazing experience

- I saw this in your trippie and it does look amazing. I think it this will be a lovely way to end our first day.

you aren't far from columbus circle, perhaps try some of the bakeries around there.

That does seem like a long time to spend on a boat considering the length of your stay. However I've heard good things about the company so I'm sure it will be FAB!

-Well the logic behind this was we will go back again with the boys and we wouldn't expect them to sit on a boat for three hours, and the Children's Cruises look good so we would do the long one just us and the shorter one with the boys. It will be nice to go right round as you don't always see the East Side.

Barbarini on front street is yum, check out my trippie for pics. If italian isn't your thing there's some other fab bars and restaurants in the area

-Thanks, I will add this to my Google map

great plan!

That's not a bad pan though, times square is PACKED so the later you leave it the better as it may be marginally quiet

-I think you're right. It will be great to see it all lit up and not as busy.

The bridge took us 30mins to walk so I don't think you'll have issues by bike. Lots of people had placed padlocks on the bridge (not convince this is in anyway legal) with love notes and birthday messages. Maybe get one to take with you!

There were lines at Grimaldi's even at 3pm on our trip so plan for a short wait at least

The highline was stunning, it's very near to chelsea markets to grab some yummy food too

-Thanks for the information.

We planned out own but only managed to do half of it. We planned to get sanwiches from boulud and cakes from bouchon. They are across the road from each other. Zabars also it's far from the park, you could get supplies from there easily too.[/QUOTE]

-Again, I will bear this in mind.

Thanks for commenting Hannikins. I was hoping you would be one to comment as you've just returned. Enjoying your trippie btw!
1994, International Drive- The Summer of Wet N Wild!
Christmas 1996, Fort Myers
Christmas 1997, Fort Myers
Christmas 2006, Emerald Island
February 2009, Bella Vida Villa and Contemporary Resort
August 2010, Newport Bay Club, DLP
Christmas 2011, Bella Vida Villa, Bay Lake Tower and Royal Pacific Resort
June 2012 New York pre 30th trip
aims1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 12, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List