Notices

Old 24 Apr 15, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Clarey
Imagineer

My Spur of the Moment New York Trip

Leave Devon early on Sunday for a long drive up the M5/6 – meet my sister for a late lunch then check in to the Crowne Plaza near the Airport:
Just me on this Spur of the moment trip. I have been to New York before but never without children. I am flying Thomas Cook Economy out and Premium home. Only cost me £398 return (I am watching the upgrade prices for the flight over and they are coming down). Staying at the Herald Square Hotel on 31 St. Could only manage 3 nights due to work / family commitments.
* Monday 09:45 flight from Manchester to JFK - hopefully arriving on time @12:25. Really not sure yet how I'm going to get to the Hotel yet as it will really depend on whether my flight is on time. But I think I will use the airtrain then the subway to Penn Station – it says on google maps that it is only a 7 min walk to my hotel from the station? I'm really not sure what time I will arrive at the hotel. I can't remember how long it takes to clear customs/collect case. But I'm going to go to 230 fifth for a cocktail first. Then a walk up Broadway and spend an hour or so walking around Times Square, I might pop into Macy's on the way back to the Hotel. I'm hoping I will be able to stay up till at least 9pm!
* Tuesday- walk to 5th Ave to catch the M5 bus down to Trinity Church then have a look around that area – maybe pay respects at 9/11 Memorials. Look for somewhere to have breakfast before my tour of Brooklyn Bridge and Dumbo – meeting at the Fountain at 09:45. Really not sure about lunch? I'm hoping to then catch the Staten Island Ferry and back (do they allow you to stay on or have I got to get off?). Depending on how tired I am I might have another look around this area or I might just catch the M5 Bus back up to my hotel. Really not sure whether to get a ticket for TOTR - I'm not over good with heights and I have been up the ESB a couple of times. If I've had Pizza for lunch then I will go to Ellen's diner or shake shack
* Wednesday – walk along 34 St to Skydiner then walk the Highline to Chelsea Market. Over to 8 Ave to catch a bus M20 upto Madison Square Gardens. Then back to Hotel. I need to be at the Irving Plaza for 7 pm for a concert. Need to find somewhere to eat before the concert. Then walk back to hotel
* Thursday – walk up to Grand Central and have breakfast. Walk up-to Central Park and have a good look around. I always visit Strawberry Fields as I am a huge Beatle/John Lennon fan. Walk over to Alice's for lunch/cream tea on 64 St. Walk back down to 5 Ave and do some last min shopping. My flight is at 10pm so not sure what time I need to leave for the airport.
Please let me know if I need to change anything. I would really love to go to a Jazz bar around my Hotel area on the Tuesday if there is one. Only two things are set in stone and they are : The Dumbo tour and the Concert. Many thanks x
Decisions dicisions
Clarey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 15, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Lucky you, we loved NY and would love to go back, great price you got too. Have you looked at the MTA website? It confirms the 7 min walk although you can get that down to 3 mins but means cghanging trains, so maybe not much better. If you put in JFK-Herald Green hotel on the journey planner it will give you the options, click on map and it even tells you the best exit to use from the subway.

I believe you have to get off the SI ferry and get back on but you should make the same boat back. My one regret is not doing the ferry trip, we went down to see SOL at night and were right there but for some stupid reason we went back to our hotel... oh well next time.

Hope you have a great time.
Have fun
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Clarey
Imagineer

Thanks Pompeyboy - I will look at the MTA site. Yes I've never got on the ferry before. But it's on my must do list this time.
Clarey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Sounds like some great plans you have there.

Yes you do have to get off the Staten Island ferry when you arrive, but you can get straight back on the same one 2 you just have to walk round to where the other passengers are waiting to board.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarey
Imagineer

Thanks Jocat
Old 26 Apr 15, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow I would love to go on a break by myself
Hope you have an amazing time xx
Old 27 Apr 15, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarey
Imagineer

I've done a few these past couple of years - when I've had to take holiday or lose it - but this is my first to NYC 😊
Old 27 Apr 15, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
gerryc
Imagineer

gerryc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We have booked a trip for August it will be our first time, really looking forward to it.

1995 Kissimmee, 1997 & 2000 international drive
2008 Calabay Park,2011,2014,2016,2017 Lake Buena vista. 2018 DLP, Las Vegas
gerryc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 15, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I went on my own in March for a week (I usually do a solo trip a year ) and thoroughly enjoyed it. You will gave a ball I am sure!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 15, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Clarey
Imagineer

Thanks Melbatb 😀