Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants
Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.
Florida Escapes

Old 16 Feb 17, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Donna. I was just about there getting my Wife to do a 1 week break in Florida this March being the 4th trip this year. It would have been Hotel Boulevard but eating offsite and no Parks.
However Watches of Switzerland rang me today ref my late dads watch which is ready for collection and the cost has wiped me out!
DH thought of you when he saw a Patek Philippe in the paper today for 9million. It was stainless!
Old 16 Feb 17, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
DH thought of you when he saw a Patek Philippe in the paper today for 9million. It was stainless!
Wow! That would be 5 meals in disney. Ha ah.

I will post some pictures next week when i get it but it's 1550 to renovate, better be good!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."
1994 - 2003 - Hotels on I-Drive
2004 SSR, 2005 SSRx2, 2006/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16 SSRx33
2017. Three trips booked to SSR.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
20 nights at SSR. 1st trip for 2017
Mr Tom Morrow is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Listener
Old 16 Feb 17, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Ilivehereorland
VIP Dibber

Berns in Tampa
Joes Stone Crabs in Miami (not to be confused with Joes Crab Shack, which is good but not best in Florida)
Old 17 Feb 17, 04:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
Imagineer

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
My Facebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by masterchef View Post
Lots of competition in Orlando and when you consider all of Florida then there are far more imaginative chefs than those stuck in the rut which is the V&A.
OP asked for opinions - that's mine.
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Cruising...
Old 17 Feb 17, 05:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Jokeybhoy
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I'm in total agreement with Mr T on Jiko. It was our best onsite meal by a mile and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
I do like to see a changing menu though where a chef has been inspired by what's available rather than working on autopilot each day.
We had the chefs bench at Jiko and they actually suggested we ditched some of our reservations because they didn't rate them. Some they were very enthusiastic about though.
We were underwhelmed by DDP in general. It was ok but we felt we missed out a bit.
I think sometimes people assume you're eating offsite to save money but that's not necessarily the case. Some of the food offsite is far, far better.
However, if you're onsite without a car and you've got 'free dining' you're going to use it aren't you?
We absolutely loved the convenience
Do you mind sharing the ones they told you to ditch and which ones they recommended
Jokeybhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.
Old 17 Feb 17, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jokeybhoy View Post
Do you mind sharing the ones they told you to ditch and which ones they recommended
My thoughts exactly!
Old 17 Feb 17, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We are very friendly with a certain Chef at Disney and he always comes and sits with us when we dine at his establishment. Get some funny looks I can assure you as he even keeps his tall hat on.

We natter about anything and everything and he knows where we dine and updates us on the latest moves - Chef X has gone here etc etc.
However he will not comment about where not to go but if I mention somewhere I am thinking of he may say place X is better. Being professional I think by adopting that attitude.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."
1994 - 2003 - Hotels on I-Drive
2004 SSR, 2005 SSRx2, 2006/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16 SSRx33
2017. Three trips booked to SSR.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
20 nights at SSR. 1st trip for 2017
Mr Tom Morrow is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Listener
Old 17 Feb 17, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jokeybhoy View Post
I don't think think I should! It wouldn't be fair.

I must add that weren't rude about any of the places just said they didn't rate them.

We'd been chatting throughout our meal about food and where we were from etc and restaurants they wanted to try in the UK. Then they asked what else we had lined up and I asked if they were good choices or not really.
They advised accordingly.

The one we didn't take their advice on was actually our worst restaurant meal.
They didn't say it would be horrible. I really must stress that. They weren't remotely unprofessional they were just giving an honest opinion on what they thought we'd like and also which days certain chefs would be there.
They just said ditch or keep to each choice!

DS still says now
'should have gone back to Jiko!'

*Having said that, we plan to have 10 days onsite next year and if DDP is offered we're considering upgrading to deluxe DDP.
I realise that sounds bonkers because it's more food than we can eat but, it means we can have a signature meal each night or brunch one Sunday maybe, without paying for appetisers and still have credits for a counter service meal or try for a walk up table service meal as and when we're hungry.
I don't want to get involved with lunchtime bookings as they screw the day up for us a bit. But we were sometimes hungry during the day last year but couldn't always find QS that took our fancy in the parks.

OH particularly likes being onsite so it makes sense to eat onsite for that part of the holiday. DS on the other hand says he's not doing Dining plan again so I may have my work cut out convincing him!

We had standard DDP so only had 4 signatures (one of which we paid for) and Tokyo Dining.
With deluxe DDP there wouldn't be any juggling and the difference in price seems to be less than paying for and extra 5 signatures and still having flexibility throughout the day.
I might need to research a bit more!

We will then have a week offsite too.

Best of both worlds?
Sorry for the ramble but I guess I'm just agreeing that if you're onsite, your likely to eat there but that does mean you miss some great food!

Last edited by Vanillapod; 17 Feb 17 at 01:45 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Weddingmoon!
Old 18 Feb 17, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Jokeybhoy
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Fair enough if you would rather not say.Personally I don't see anything wrong with telling people that you heard a certain restaurant wasn't as good as others on site
Jokeybhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.