Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Apr 21, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
kerrie1781
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Connecting flight question...

Hi all,
I’ve had some really helpful advice on here already so thanks.
I now have a new question as I’ve never flown indirect before. For context, I have booked a package with Ocean Florida.
Flying with BA from MAN-LHR-LAX

My flight to LHR lands at 13.50 and my flight from LHR to LAX departs at 15.30. I am panicking that this is enough time. Is it?
My worry is if I’m delayed slightly from MAN then this could result in me missing my flight from LHR.
I understand that they usually place you on next available flight but I’m worried that I would have to wait until the next day and spend the night at Heathrow! I can’t work out how many flights BA operate to LAX per day from LHR and I’m now stressing.
Bearing in mind that this is a long time away, it’s November 2022! 😂
kerrie1781 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 21, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

So for now I wouldn’t worry as I would imagine the timings of these flights may well change over the next 18 months

To answer your question though it meets the ‘minimum’ time dictated but if your first flight is delayed it will be tight (depending on how delayed).

Would it be possible (and would you even want to) fly down on the first leg the night before and stay in a hotel and then get on the transatlantic flight the following day?
Old 14 Apr 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
kerrie1781
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you for this!
Well, I enquired about changing my first leg and they wanted an extra 55 each which I’m not really wanting to pay as someone else has said that flight times can change nearer the time. I need to chill out and stop stressing as much! X
kerrie1781 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 21, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kerrie1781 View Post
Thank you for this!
Well, I enquired about changing my first leg and they wanted an extra 55 each which I’m not really wanting to pay as someone else has said that flight times can change nearer the time. I need to chill out and stop stressing as much! X
I would bet you a tenner one of those flights will change between now and next November
Old 14 Apr 21, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

If you are on a through ticket you will be fine - regardless it it will be VERY tight indeed and depends on terminal changes and security as sweaty rush

Edited at 08:44 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 21, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
kerrie1781
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I think I am going to leave it until it hits the 12 month mark and then think about it again. I would like to change my MAN-LHR flight to an earlier time but don’t want to pay if they may change times anyway.
I have been told that my ticket is “a married up sector” which I hope means the same as a through ticket 😂
Old 18 Apr 21, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post

We are hoping to do LA and the West Coast September/October 2022, we are going to fly down the night before probably. Its more time and expensive but I plan to use it as a pampering start to the trip - Nice food, face masks (the beauty kind), long shower, TV etc. We did this before flying to Orlando (direct, but we live close ish to the airport and could have gone on the day as we had an afternoon flight). It really set us up for the holiday and reduced our worry.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kerrie1781 View Post
I think I am going to leave it until it hits the 12 month mark and then think about it again. I would like to change my MAN-LHR flight to an earlier time but don’t want to pay if they may change times anyway.
I have been told that my ticket is “a married up sector” which I hope means the same as a through ticket 😂
A married sector is a through ticket, albeit unusual to use that terminology to the public.

In any event, and please don’t be alarmed by this, I would doubt that either the flight timings, or your ticket, exist yet. At this point, not even BA knows exactly what the schedule will be in Nov 2022, and a booking could not be ticketed by the travel agent until 355 days before your return date (later still if any of the flights are not operated by BA). I’m guessing Ocean Florida has estimated prices and schedules based on the 2021 timetable, in order to give you a price. It’s quite common practice for this type of independent agent/operator, they will make the actual booking when flights are released for sale.

So, no point worrying until the actual schedule comes out, which may or may not be the same as you’ve been told (and could change again even after that).

That said, if both flights MAN-LHR and LHR-LAX are operated by BA, the connection will all be within T5 and 1h40 is plenty of time. The domestic could be up to an hour late and you’d possibly still make the long haul, with a bit of running (the long haul will probably depart from one of the satellite terminals T5B/C, the domestic will arrive in main T5A). You will not have to reclear security at LHR on a same-terminal domestic to international connection.

If the LHR-LAX flight were a codeshare operated by AA, it may require a terminal transfer if AA moves back to T3. A 1h40 connection is still legitimate to sell, but it’s a fair bit tighter, due to the terminal transfer and the need to reclear security.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List