Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 May 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
lorna_99
Serious Dibber

positive thinking... let’s do 3 or 4 weeks

So we are booked for Sep this year and I’m slowly starting to accept that the chances of us going are slim!
So I have a new plan if we don’t get his year ...
Currently on furlough but obviously not going anywhere / doing anything And DH still wfh as normal so I decided to start putting the unused cash from me and DH every month into a separate holiday fund. We will also both have loads of annual leave when travel is opened back up again so my new plan is that the flights cost the same to go for a week as it does to go for 3 or 4 weeks.

For those who have done 3-4 weeks in Florida how did you split your time. We will want 2 weeks at Disney but should we do longer at Disney or do something else?

Open to ideas (not universal) so let’s me know if you have done this and what you found was the best use of time.
lorna_99 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

However long it is, it's never long enough

We usually split-stay with a gulf coast resort. Clearwater is our fave but we've also done St Pete Beach, Cape Coral, Naples, Marco Island and The Keys. All have their own individual charms.

Everglades is a nice day trip from Naples/Marco.

Anna Maria Island is very popular and has great reports. It's on our list to do
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Ben1993
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

If I had that much time, I would definitely drive down to Key West for a week or so. If you're a big Disney fan, have a look at staying at Disney's Vero Beach resort for a few days too, that's something I would love to do but just never have the time usually.
Old 13 May 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

If I had 4 weeks off I'd do 2 weeks in WDW then 2 weeks split among the 3 Asian Disney parks. The Imagineering Story has really picqued my interest in them and I'm planning on doing a visit to them in 2023.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

We always do 3-4 weeks ... Still goes way too quick. We only go every 2-3 years though. We have done part Disney then a villa. Last time we did a few nights at a hotel near universal ( walking distance, not onsite) and then moved to a villa. Going for more time gives you more flexibility to move about as you don't have to cram things in.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
lorna_99
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ben1993 View Post
If I had that much time, I would definitely drive down to Key West for a week or so. If you're a big Disney fan, have a look at staying at Disney's Vero Beach resort for a few days too, that's something I would love to do but just never have the time usually.

I never knew Disney had another property in a Florida!
Just looked online and yeah we could do a night or 2 at Vero beach.
lorna_99 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
lorna_99
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
If I had 4 weeks off I'd do 2 weeks in WDW then 2 weeks split among the 3 Asian Disney parks. The Imagineering Story has really picqued my interest in them and I'm planning on doing a visit to them in 2023.
Would like to stay in the USA so that we don’t have additional flight costs.
If we have a huge 2021 trip then maybe 2022/3 could be the Asian parks as like you we watched the imagineering story and thought they looked cool.
Old 13 May 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by lorna_99 View Post
I never knew Disney had another property in a Florida!
Just looked online and yeah we could do a night or 2 at Vero beach.
It's a DVC resort, so the cheapest option could be to rent points from a member, either directly on here or via a broker.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
The longest we have done is 26 nights.

We did 11 nights at the Rosen Plaza in I-drive with 2 nights overlapped at Portofino Bay at Universal. During our i-drive time we did Seaworld, Aquatica, Kennedy Space Center, shopping, crazy golf and the cinema.
Then 15 nights with free dining at AKL.

It was great like 2 holidays rolled into one. I'd have stayed longer but Ds and Dh felt it was a little long and are happier around the 3 week mark.
Old 13 May 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Kasalic
Excited about Disney

What a great idea!

What time of year are you thinking of moving it to?

I would second the ‘1 week on the Gulf coast‘, we really loved staying just south of Venice, in a villa near Manasota Beach in Englewood. We found it so different to Orlando, it was still Florida, but a more laid back Florida, with lots of family run restaurants and less ‘built up’ than Orlando.
June 2015 - 14 days - Silver Creek, Clermont
Sept 2016 - 14 days - Gulf Coast
January 2019 - 16 days - Kissimmee
August 2019 - 7 days - I Drive
Kasalic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List