Home improvements 37 12.46%
Car/bike 3 1.01%
Other 14 4.71%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Jul 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I guess it depends how much you favour each thing over the other. I don't generally think conservatorys are worth having (sorry just my opinion), so a Florida holiday would be my choice over a conservatory (or maybe two Florida holidays instead of a conservatory).

Edited at 03:45 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

I would go for: new window over UK holiday, Florida over a conservatory.
Any 'big jobs' like new windows, carpets, structural work I'd have to prioritise over holidays.

Anything that's more cosmetic like decorating, new patio, bathroom/ kitchen installation OH does himself rather than paying tradesmen. It takes (MUCH) longer so isn't as convenient but means that we still have the funds for holidays.
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Certainly when my children were young holidays won every time.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I really did not know which to vote for as it depends on what stage you are at in your life.

At this moment in time, we have a garage conversion into a dining room starting on Monday. Clearly this has cost and is at this moment is my utmost priority.

I go on vacation every year. At the time this approaches, it is my utmost priority. Clearly with my latest plans cantering on Aug 2021, it ain’t important right now.

New car? Only when I need one. I place no importance at all on cars, other than to get from a to b. I don’t like buying depreciating assets (other than vacations).

Others? I can’t think of anything as important as the first three.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:55 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
New car? Only when I need one. I place no importance at all on cars, other than to get from a to b. I don’t like buying depreciating assets (other than vacations).
DH and I are similar regarding cars, fortunately he has no more interest in cars than I do. When I was younger (early 30s) I splashed out on a convertible, I went out for milk, bought an MGF, total impulse buy, but those days are gone.

Now we have a nice car, Audi Q3, which we bought when we returned to the UK from overseas and it was I think about a year old at the time. We will keep this car until it dies, even if that takes another 20 years. We have a second car that DH takes to the station, it was about ten years old when we bought it, we will take same approach with that and replace only when it dies.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
I’d have the conservatory and a cheap break somewhere... I‘m home 50 weeks a year so I want it to be comfortable... the holiday can wait... know I’m going to be in the minority...
I agree with you completely. my home is incredibly important to me. If I needed extra room then a conservatory will give much better value for money for many years than a 2 week holiday. We have had some lovely holidays and we also spend money on our home. It is a compromise of what is more needed at the time.

I also completely disagree with the "I'm giving my children their memories" argument. Children are just as happy creating lovely memories on a cheap holiday as they are on an expensive one. All they want is to be spending time with those who love them.

Edited to say that neither myself or my husband have any interest in cars.

Edited at 04:28 PM.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Different things have taken priority at different times. We've held off improvements for holidays and vice versa. Currently our priority is making sure we are debt free and then build up a fair chunk of savings but we have a nice house that doesn't need further work for a few years. A big blow out family holiday is on the cards over the next few years as well.
Old 24 Jul 20, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

We moved in to our “forever” home in 2007 and have completed any major work that needed doing including loft conversion, new kitchen, bathroom etc. Therefore currently I am able to prioritise holidays. We could actually do with replacing one of the cars in future so might have to prioritise that over a holiday but I won’t be happy about it.😬 I love to travel.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I’ve put holiday.

If it was a genuine choice, then it’s holiday every time. But if it’s fixing something that needs fixing in the house/car (and I mean doesn’t function/is dangerous without. Not upgrading just because we feel like it) then of course that comes first. Choice every time though is holiday.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

We have always alternated between doing jobs in the home and big holidays, on a job year we would have a week all inclusive somewhere. We have an old 1920s so always something needs doing
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List