Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Jan 21, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
linnite
Imagineer

Our specific rights in event of BA flight cancellation

Hi, hoping someone can help.

We are not normally business class customers. This year we happened upon some affordable flights to FL in Aug, business class out, PE return.

The business class flights were old BA, 2-4-2 formation. We were also landing from an internal flight at Heathrow and having to get round to Gatwick.

Then as a result of BA cancelling a flight we then ended up not having to shuttle between Heathrow and Gatwick and are now in a 1-2-1 formation so I think this the new Club Suite business class?

So the advice I could use is:

Am i right about the Club Suite?

In the event of further cancellations by BA can I now insist on Club Suite, or at least the right to choose my own replacement flight, like for like?

Similarly can I insist we don't go back to having to shuttle between airports?

We have been so lucky with these flights, we will probably never have this opportunity again, but it starts to look like we might have to contemplate not being alowed to go this summer.

A voucher and no rights beyond that is likely to be a terrible outcome.

Thank you.

Nov '01 - I-Drive ... May '09 - DL Paris ... Aug '11 - Pop ... Aug '13 - SSR ... Aug '15 - A/S Music + HRH ... Aug '17 - RPR,CBR,AKL ... Feb '18 - Cabana Bay ... Feb '19 - Aventura + A/S Sports ... Dec '21 Dolphin and HRH... Aug '23 Surfside and A/S Music... Feb '24 Surfside

Edited at 01:30 PM.
linnite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

If they cancel more than 14 days before the flight as they are typically doing then you get a monetary value voucher or a refund.

As far as I am aware they do not have to give you like to like flights at any monetary value. That would be purely at their discretion.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

I think you may possibly be expecting too much.

If you've booked flight only and the flight in cancelled you can either request a refund or a voucher/to be rebooked. You can be booked on to any flight with availability but you will need to pay any difference in fare.

If this in non-COVID related and we're still allowed to fly as such then you can tell them which flights you would like to move to. I got flights twice the price I paid via this route but I'm not sure they have to agree as they can just refund you instead.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jetflyer
Earning More Ears

You are correct in that 1 2 1 is club suite. Unfortunately you have no right to demand this as aircraft types could be changed at short notice.
Im pretty sure that BA cover themselves by saying product my not be available on all routes as it is still only a limited amount of aircraft that have the new cabin fitted
jetflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
linnite
Imagineer

Thanks all.

The funny thing is, BA did just give us a replacement and much better flight when they cancelled one. I assume at some cost to themselves. But it sounds like that was discretionary?

Better hope we can fly in August then. We're nearly at the point where we would fly just for the flight.

Nov '01 - I-Drive ... May '09 - DL Paris ... Aug '11 - Pop ... Aug '13 - SSR ... Aug '15 - A/S Music + HRH ... Aug '17 - RPR,CBR,AKL ... Feb '18 - Cabana Bay ... Feb '19 - Aventura + A/S Sports ... Dec '21 Dolphin and HRH... Aug '23 Surfside and A/S Music... Feb '24 Surfside

Edited at 02:04 PM.
linnite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by linnite View Post
Thanks all.

The funny thing is, BA did just give us a replacement and much better flight when they cancelled one. I assume at some cost to themselves. But it sounds like that was discretionary?

Better hope we can fly in August then. We're nearly at the point where we would fly just for the flight.

If the same booking class was available at the time of the change then there would be no difference in the fare element but the taxes, fees and charges may have been slightly different which BA would absorb. Assuming a like for like price for the fare elemnt there would not be an extra cost to travel on an aircraft with Club Suites compared to Club World - you are paying for a journey in Club not a specific type of seat in that cabin.

jetflyer was correct in saying that you cannot insist on flying on an aircraft with the Club Suites - you have paid to fly from A to B in Club. Aircraft substitutions can happen at anytime so no guarantee is given.

As you are travelling in August a lot can change before then so I would keep a careful eye on any announcements by BA (they would be discussed on the Dibb I am sure). At the moment if BA cancel a flight you would be offered a full refund or a voucher (if an alternative flight they offer is not suitable) - depending on your preference but a lot can happen in the next 6 months before you travel.

You will be able to use the LHR Galleries Club Lounge at T5 instead of the LGW one.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 01:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You only have one right in a flight only booking

The airline gets you to your destination (and back) as close to your ticketed time as possible or you can have a refund/voucher

All the rest is nice to have fluff that isn't contractually enforceable
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

We had booked with BA for a month, August 21, flying Gatwick - Tampa - Gatwick, like you Upper Class had fallen within reach as a one off. A couple of weeks later we were notified that they had cancelled our flight transferred us. They had kept Tampa as our point of entry but knocked three days off the holiday which we were not happy about. I phoned them, which was a saga on its own and resulted in me asking dibbers for help, and spoke to a very nice man who listened when I said that I was happy to use MCO, MIA or TPA as my point of entry but the twenty eight days was more important overall. Having given him something to work with he then gave me some options and we quickly arrived at an agreement that was . We got the twenty eight days back, up graded the car and we now go through Orlando. The changes also brought the price down. I would suggest talking to them first before worrying about "rights".
Old 1 Feb 21, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
We had booked with BA for a month, August 21, flying Gatwick - Tampa - Gatwick, like you Upper Class had fallen within reach as a one off. A couple of weeks later we were notified that they had cancelled our flight transferred us. They had kept Tampa as our point of entry but knocked three days off the holiday which we were not happy about. I phoned them, which was a saga on its own and resulted in me asking dibbers for help, and spoke to a very nice man who listened when I said that I was happy to use MCO, MIA or TPA as my point of entry but the twenty eight days was more important overall. Having given him something to work with he then gave me some options and we quickly arrived at an agreement that was . We got the twenty eight days back, up graded the car and we now go through Orlando. The changes also brought the price down. I would suggest talking to them first before worrying about "rights".
It is always a good idea to do your research about what other possibilities are available when any similar situation arises 7SeasSailor did exactly the right thing and it put them in a strong position when contacting BA.

Just a little note - BA call it Club World (with 2 possible seat types as they are introducing their Club Suites) not Upper Class
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jetflyer View Post
You are correct in that 1 2 1 is club suite. Unfortunately you have no right to demand this as aircraft types could be changed at short notice.
According to the seat maps on ba.com, none of their aircraft have a 1-2-1 Club World cabin. Even their newest aircraft (the 787-900) is 2-3-2.

The 777-200 (which is the aircraft normally used on the MCO route) are all 2-4-2, with a mixture of forward & rear facing seats.

The new Club Suite is indeed 1-2-1 - but I cannot see it being installed on the leisure fleet 777's in a hurry. BA will almost certainly prioritise the refits on aircraft used on business-heavy routes to attract lucrative business class trade when demand picks up.

Having said the above, the BA website is certainly a bit unreliable / out of date. At the bottom of the Club World information page is a link entitled "More about the Club World service to JFK from London City". Hmm, this flight was cancelled permanently at the start of the pandemic!

Edited at 03:58 PM.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List