Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Mar 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Budget from Miami

I’m looking at flying to Miami and Budget are coming in far cheaper than anyone else. I’ve only picked up a car from there once and it was Alamo so straight to the garage. I was disappointed with the choice and standard of the cars they had available but the service was great. So can anyone who has rented with Budget tell me of their experiences when picking up in Miami? Do you go directly to the garage or a desk? Is there a hard sell, what like are the cars and what like are their charges if you go through a toll? (Although I usually pay at the time). Thanks
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
No experience using Budget at Miami, but have used them in Quebec (City centre) Same desk as Avis, but cheaper. The clue was in the name. We got an older model, not washed or cleaned inside and looked as if it had just been on a 14 day family holiday. We complained but it was a small branch so take it or leave it, on the other hand we do have some Avis cars available for rental...

Probably at a larger airport branch things would be tightened up, but I would want a decent, comfortable, reliable and newer car for a journey from Miami to Orlando and back.
Old 24 Mar 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

I have rented many times with budget and a couple at Miami. They along with avis who are the same company are my favourite easily.

The rental company's are all in a new rental centre. You need to get a monorail from the terminal which is very easy.
With budget you will need to go to the desk which is in the main foyer and Que which depending on flights and qty of people renting can vary. their fast break does not apply to uk renters. The cars are pre allocated. I have in the past asked for them to change if i do not like a particular car, for me that's anything with a CVT gearbox. I'm polite and have found them accommodating and polite back.

I've always had a decent car as in clean, tidy and the toys you need. They usually offer the cheaper brands compared to sister company Avis. Eg budget = dodge/ kia & Avis = Chrysler / Hyundai. both company's are owned by fiat / hyundai motor company and share an immense amount of parts just the branding is different.

Always had what i rented or an upgrade. One time they were low on cars and tried to give me a smaller car but told them no and 5 minutes later got what i wanted (This wasnt at miami). They were fine about it the guy in front ordered a compact and was given a convertible, They were basically just handing out what was immediately available to next in the Que. I have always found the staff friendly and approachable.

Never had a hard sale at miami but i always pre pay at the desk for fuel which i sometimes think placates the need to upsell.

Also remember your spouse is also insured free with budget and does not need to attend the desk to sign. (helpfull if you have a little one who does not like queuing)

I highly recommend i am a huge fan and have made the majority of rentals with them.

but saying that i have rented with others including alamo and dollar, Alamo were fine and for some reason at the time ridiculously cheap which was only reason. Dollar never again one rental again because of price had damaged car which had to return after two days and charged for bringing back empty at end of rental when i had pre-paid for fuel on the previous car a nightmare.

my advise would be the same as any hire company.

1, have a basic understanding of the fleet so you know what you are allocated is correct.

2, Have a read of the toll policy they do vary and always best to know. It had changed lateley but i have enclosed below for florida.

3, depending on who you book with make sure you know where you stand with insurance. If declining be polite remeber it is there job to upsell you.

4, the most important. take your time and check what you are signing before you do. im advocating a full read but you should atleast check the charges and future charges section. (this one goes for all companies no specifically budget).

e-Toll fees (Standard): If you use the e-Toll service at any time during your rental, you agree to pay a convenience fee of $5.95 for each day on which you incur a toll up to a maximum amount of $29.75 per rental period (not to exceed 30 days). In addition, you will pay all tolls incurred at the maximum prevailing non-discounted or cash rates posted by the toll authority. e-Toll Unlimited: Budget also offers e-Toll Unlimited, which includes the cost of tolls and convenience fees. If you choose e-Toll Unlimited, you agree to pay a flat daily fee of $10.99 -$25.99, depending on checkout location, for each day of the rental period, regardless of whether or not you incur any tolls, up to a maximum of $54.95 - $129.95 per week. e-Toll Unlimited must be selected at the time you reserve or check out your vehicle, otherwise you agree to pay the standard e-Toll fees if you use the e-Toll service. Opting Out of e-Toll: If you do not choose e-Toll Unlimited, you may avoid the standard e-Toll fees on any day during the term of the rental if you ensure the transponder shield box is in the “closed” position and you (i) pay cash for all tolls, (ii) use your own adequately funded, properly mounted and compatible electronic toll device to pay for all tolls, (iii) pay the toll authority directly through any available online or other service according to the toll authority’s rules and requirements; or (iv) avoid electronic toll roads or passages.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
glenandem
Apprentice Imagineer

Good reading as we’re renting with budget for October miami flight as they was so much cheaper with ba flydrive.
Gone with a full size suv so not sure exactly what car we’ll get but if its big enough for 5 I’ll be happy!
glenandem is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List