Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 2 Apr 21, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

Budget car hire

I’m looking at booking a BA package, and at the moment the Budget cars are coming out considerably cheaper than the Avis ones. Does anyone know if the Budget ones include free extra driver? Has anyone used budget? We generally use Alamo but the BA package is too tempting.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Second driver is not included with Budget on a BA fly drive
In Florida the cost is $12|50 a day to the maximum of $65 per rental
Worked out much cheaper for us than Avis

Edited at 08:15 AM.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

Thanks for that- did you add the second driver at pick up?
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I normally go out well in front of DH I pick him up at the airport then just nip into the local budget rental garage to us and add him there but you can add at the desk in the airport just check check the adding driver fee is only $65 on the paperwork
Budget are notorious at the desk for saying just tick or initial here here here read it and check it twice then read the print out as well
Oh don’t accept the upgrade offered it’s often the only car group they have left anyway
And on return don’t accept we will email your receipt nope no way a print out please
And make sure if you don’t want there toll pass you tick no and if it has a transponder
Switch it off
We use our own toll pass and I’m not sure if the tourist toll pass will be reinstated
For pick up at the airport
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

Thanks for all the advice- just need to get there now!
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Don’t we just it’s exactly a year today I flew home fully intending to return in October for 6 weeks
I’ll have the sun turned on and the rain cancelled for you arriving after me
Old 2 Apr 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

That’s just what I need! Good luck to you too!
Old 2 Apr 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

If you are married the extra driver is free

Who Can Drive My Rental Car?
If your additional drivers meet any of the following requirements, then they are pre-authorized to be an additional driver for a rental car.

They are the renter’s fellow employee or employer AND the car is being rented under a business account.

They are the renter’s spouse or domestic partner.

They are the companion driver for a renter with a disability who has filled out the non-licensed renter form.

No fee applies to additional drivers in the categories above, and they don’t have to fill out extra paperwork to drive the rental car.

If the person you’d like to add as an additional driver is not pre-authorized, you can still add them as an authorized driver.

budget/en/help/usa-f...-driver-policy

have rented many times with budget They along with avis who are the same company are my favourite easily.

you will need to go to the desk and Que which depending on flights and qty of people renting can vary. their fast break does not apply to uk renters. The cars are pre allocated. I have in the past asked for them to change if i do not like a particular car, for me that's anything with a CVT gearbox. I'm polite and have found them accommodating and polite back.

I've always had a decent car as in clean, tidy and the toys you need. They usually offer the cheaper brands compared to sister company Avis. Eg budget = dodge/ kia & Avis = Chrysler / Hyundai. both company's are owned by fiat / hyundai motor company and share an immense amount of parts just the branding is different.

Never had a hard sale, but i always pre pay at the desk for fuel which i sometimes think placates the need to upsell.

I highly recommend i am a huge fan and have made the majority of rentals with them.

but saying that i have rented with others including alamo and dollar, Alamo were fine and for some reason at the time ridiculously cheap which was only reason. Dollar never again one rental again because of price had damaged car which had to return after two days and charged for bringing back empty at end of rental when i had pre-paid for fuel on the previous car a nightmare.

my advise would be the same as any hire company.

1, have a basic understanding of the fleet so you know what you are allocated is correct.

2, Have a read of the toll policy they do vary and always best to know. It had changed lateley.

3, depending on who you book with make sure you know where you stand with insurance. If declining be polite remeber it is there job to upsell you.

4, the most important. take your time and check what you are signing before you do. i'm not advocating a full read but you should at least check the charges and future charges section. (this one goes for all companies no specifically budget).

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon

Edited at 10:44 AM.
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yes that’s correct in most cases but BA fly drives with Budget it’s not always the case
The BA web site states additional drivers with Budget can be added at cost it doesn’t specify if spouse etc is free
It’s sometimes a wait till you get to the desk with Budget believe me I’ve been there too many times
Old 2 Apr 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Yes that’s correct in most cases but BA fly drives with Budget it’s not always the case
The BA web site states additional drivers with Budget can be added at cost it doesn’t specify if spouse etc is free
It’s sometimes a wait till you get to the desk with Budget believe me I’ve been there too many times
Like you said it may be hit and miss if they try to charge. But i've never been charged or had them try, either booking via BA, Holiday Autos or easy rentacar.

I make it clear at the desk its my wife and our sir names are the same so suppose that helps.

If they tried to charge me i'd just pull up the link i attached.

but again not saying they wont try just be polite and refer back to the website.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List