Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 2 Apr 21, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

Any experience in getting train to/from MAN airport?

...just this really!

Looks like it's a 4th time lucky 🤞 change which means we need to get from teesside to MAN. I believe the airport is near to the train station(?)

Our flight would arrive back at 4.45am on a cold Nov morning so wondering what would happen...

We are so limited with booking a tui flight only for May 25th. We don't want it if it does go because availability at HS is none existent for our entire stay but if the flight goes we can't get our money back so would have to jump ship and take the free amendment. Currently we are flying from NCL which is much better than MAN for us with a daughter who would 100% be sick if we drove to Manchester.

Are the trains regular? How early do they go and is it far from the airport?

Thanks x
katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

You don't need to leave the airport for the train, just a case of following the signs, no idea on times for your train though, the best thing we started to do when we got back was to book a Premier Inn and head straight there off our flight, nothing better than having breakfast then into bed to watch tv and sleep on and off till dinner time, next day we're totally refreshed for our train back to Scotland.
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
trains really frequent, avoid the metrolink though
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

I guess you'll be changing trains at Manchester Piccadilly and trains to there from the airport are very frequent and run all hours. The Metrolink can also take you there but as a previous poster mentioned I would avoid as it takes AGES! If I remember rightly from 2014 I got a train at about 5am/5:30am after our flight landed and they were every 20 mins or so.

EDIT - just found this manchesterairport/..om/by-train/

Edited at 07:50 PM.
nolypops83 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Trains really easy from Picc to the Airport as others have said. Then a short walk from airport to departures.

I’d give yourself a fair amount of wriggle room as my parents often get the train to the airport and they’ve ended up on a courtesy bus at least once and once just getting a taxi. But they do that route a fair few times a year pre covid.
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

You can get the train from Middlesbrough or Yarm direct into Manchester airport, no need to change if you do that. It’s transpennine express and they run hourly (mostly). If you book a train for about an hour after you land then that could work. If you miss that train you have a 3 hour grace period. You can’t board a train before your scheduled booked train but you can get one after.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
You can get the train from Middlesbrough or Yarm direct into Manchester airport, no need to change if you do that. It’s transpennine express and they run hourly (mostly). If you book a train for about an hour after you land then that could work. If you miss that train you have a 3 hour grace period. You can’t board a train before your scheduled booked train but you can get one after.

Kat
Only if your flight is delayed, and they do check. If you land on time and miss your booked train due to say, waiting for luggage, then your ticket is not valid
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

Thanks everyone... your making me feel better about Manchester if I'm honest. It is a chew for us, NCL would be much easier but it's just the coming back that was worrying me...landing so early and being able to get home rather than waiting. If we land 04.45 and we book for an hour afterwards... I wonder if there is a train that early?!
katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Anne K View Post
Only if your flight is delayed, and they do check. If you land on time and miss your booked train due to say, waiting for luggage, then your ticket is not valid
We’ve done it with no problems. As long as it’s a reasonable time between expected landing and booked train. You can’t get an earlier train as once we booked one for approx 2 hours after landing, got there after an hour but couldn’t get the earlier train so watched it leave and had to wait for ours! What a pain that was in the cold.

Kat
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 21, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by katy341 View Post
Thanks everyone... your making me feel better about Manchester if I'm honest. It is a chew for us, NCL would be much easier but it's just the coming back that was worrying me...landing so early and being able to get home rather than waiting. If we land 04.45 and we book for an hour afterwards... I wonder if there is a train that early?!
They do start running very early, they only seem to stop for a few hours during the night.

Maybe look to book something 1-1.5 hours after landing. Or an open ticket but they are always more money. Try to book early too as there’s often good prices.

We’ve done it a few times now, we’ve had the odd hick up with delayed and a cancelled train but we’d still book again.

Kat