Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 6 Apr 21, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Lpf View Post
What was the reason for bringing in FP in the first place? Was it crowd control? ride control? Getting people out of queues and spending? And then what is the percentage of guests offsite per day who wouldn’t get any FP?

I don’t really understand the science of it all but I presume if they did this, they would gain some how? Or would they expecting off site visitors to pay for them and that would be the bigger monetary gain? (I wouldn’t, I don’t think Florida holidays are worth it anymore as it is!)
The reasons for introducing FPs in the first place were:
  • Getting people physically out of the queues and into the shops or restaurants, thus spending more money.
  • Improving customer satisfaction, because the less time you spend physically stood in a queue for a ride the happier people were. And the happier people were, the more likely they were to spend time and money at the Disney parks rather than elsewhere.

Originally, onsite guests didn't have any real advantage over offsite guests with regards to getting fastpasses. Everyone had the chance of getting to the fastpass machines in the park, inserting their tickets, and getting a fastpass return time. Obviously, for the most popular rides you had to get to the park early otherwise you'd miss out (the system penalised those that liked to turn up late in the morning or in the afternoon) and so EMH did sometimes help out onsite guests to do this.

Everyone could get fastpasses for some of the rides - that was true 20 years ago just as it was true a couple of years ago (before 2020). But not everyone could get a fastpass for the really popular rides.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Hoping they come back but doubt they will come back the same as they were
Apparently it’s something Disney got the most complaints about
I watched a Molly All ears vlog and one of the comments was about FP coming back and most of the replies were against them, apart for one Brit saying if he spends over 10k he should get them 🤦🏼
It's surprising to hear that most replies were against fastpasses. Here on the DIBB I get the impression that most want fastpasses to return. They don't like waiting in long queues and want to be able to fastpass the queue.

They may want the fastpass system to change - some prefer the old paper fastpass system, some would like a Universal-like Express pass system, some have a different system in mind - but I think most want some form of virtual queuing system that reduces their time physically stood in a queue. Which is understandable.

May be Americans are becoming more like us and like to queue?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 04:21 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Hughseysar
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It's surprising to hear that most replies were against fastpasses. Here on the DIBB I get the impression that most want fastpasses to return. They don't like waiting in long queues and want to be able to fastpass the queue.

They may want the fastpass system to change - some prefer the old paper fastpass system, some would like a Universal-like Express pass system, some have a different system in mind - but I think most want some form of virtual queuing system that reduces their time physically stood in a queue. Which is understandable.

In 2019 we used the Max Pass system in Disneyland / DCA ( Anaheim ) . It was a charge per day but not very much atall. It meant we could book Fastpasses on the day from our phones rather then using the machines they have at the California parks... not running to machines as because you get the passes on the day it was stress free and no pre planning required.
We absolutely loved it and there were always multiple passes for every attraction available throughout the day.
It’s was very much worth the small charge for it and I would like to see this introduced at WDW..
I very much love WDW but the having to pre plan every day of your holiday so far in advance takes the joy away in some part for us... being spontaneous is relaxing and fun
Hughseysar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
They were ticket machines that you put your park ticket in, like the old WDW system, if my memory is correct that is!
Your memory is indeed correct but the people staying in the onsite hotels (there were only the three then) still got unlimited passes. I remember one very upset Dibber demanding that Universal stopped allowing people to benefit from having paid to stay in the hotels! Sympathy for his PoV was in short supply.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It's surprising to hear that most replies were against fastpasses.Here on the DIBB I get the impression that most want fastpasses to return. They don't like waiting in long queues and want to be able to fastpass the queue.

I think lots of complaints were from people who had no idea about them or found out too late and most were gone.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
I think lots of complaints were from people who had no idea about them or found out too late and most were gone.
I know that quite a few people didn't know about the old paper fastpass system - or assumed you either had to pay for it or only onsite guests could get it. I thought with all the online discussion concerning Fastpass+ over the last 5 years - plus Disney actively advertising it - then that lack of understanding had been reduced, especially with those actively online and watching vlogs.

But in aqualiv's post it sounded more like they were complaining about the FP system returning rather than complaining about the lack of information about the FP system.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:39 PM.
Old 6 Apr 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Hughseysar View Post
In 2019 we used the Max Pass system in Disneyland / DCA ( Anaheim ) . It was a charge per day but not very much atall. It meant we could book Fastpasses on the day from our phones rather then using the machines they have at the California parks... not running to machines as because you get the passes on the day it was stress free and no pre planning required.
We absolutely loved it and there were always multiple passes for every attraction available throughout the day.
It’s was very much worth the small charge for it and I would like to see this introduced at WDW..
I very much love WDW but the having to pre plan every day of your holiday so far in advance takes the joy away in some part for us... being spontaneous is relaxing and fun
I find it interesting that people would be happy for a paid fastpass system (called MaxPass) to replace the currently free fastpass system. It seems counterintuitive. I always find that having to pay extra for something - in addition to the expensive park tickets - is somewhat offputting, even if the price was reasonably cheap. But maybe that's just me?

As the for spontaneous bit, many of the attractions could be fastpassed on the day with the old system. A lot of the time it was only around 4 or 5 popular rides at WDW that you had to prebook weeks beforehand. Personally, I didn't find it that much of a chore - we were going to have to decide which park to visit on which day anyway so making that decision a month beforehand wasn't an issue (no more so than booking other things). And if we decided to change our minds the evening beforehand then there was nothing stopping us from doing that. It simply meant there might be one popular ride that we missed out on, that was all. You could still be spontaneous.

But we're all different and prefer different things.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 6 Apr 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
figment05
Very Serious Dibber

The original idea behind FP was to get people out of Q's and into stores and restaurants. Technology has moved on and I do wonder if they will go to virtual queuing as an option instead utilizing the FP lines as they have enough data for every ride to make this work. They could also supplement this with paid / complementary (for on site guests) FP's .
figment05 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

We liked the MaxPass system in California but at $15 per person per day, costs would soon mount up for a family, especially in Florida where you are likely to do more park days.
When we first started visiting WDW there were no fast passes at all and I don't remember queueing for more than about 30-40 minutes for anything. We rarely bothered with paper fast passes for anything other than Toy Story Mania when they were introduced.
Old 7 Apr 21, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’ll be really disappointed if FP doesn’t return or at least some form of virtual queue. I can’t understand why anyone would complain about it coming back. Why would you want to spend most of your theme park time queuing? And the best thing about it for me was knowing we could have a later start and still get the rides we wanted done with minimal queuing. If they don’t bring them back it’ll be park opening for us every day and probably out after lunch.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List