Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 29 Aug 18, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshie35
Excited about Disney

Mobile Recent trip - Special Needs feedback

Just got back from a 17 night stay in Cabana Bay and as week as doing a Highs and not so Highs I thought I would knock up a few paragraphs on the special needs part of the trip.

My DD12 has CP, Autism and epilepsy.

Manchester airport - we applied for the special needs lanyard before going and got the information and lanyard sent to the house. This worked great for us in getting through security the guards were aware why DD was wearing ear defenders. We had the lounge included as we were flying PE with virgin. This was great as there was a good space for DD to be in her wheelchair and was quieter and less congested than the main hall.

Flights - Viging PE was great. We got on the plane first and last off. We had rows 17 A and C and 18 A both ways. Great service and the attendants were aware of DD needs as we had contacted virgin before hand. No issues both ways.

MCO - We had contacted MCO beforehand and we had someone meet us off the gate with DD wheelchair. They guided us through to the immigration hall and ushered us to a row for crew on the left as you enter the hall. We were through in no time and the luggage waiting for us. We used the lift and managed with the cases on the monorail. We had the car picked up and in the hotel 2 hours after landing.

Cabana Bay - great hotel, we opted for a poolside family suite and were very pleased. Very spacious and ideal location in room 3214. We could also park the car really close to the room so this was very handy. Quick note on the car though, we are so glad we got the temporary red badge for parking and not the blue badge from the uk as some of the attendants were checking in the hotel and the parks.

Universal Assistance - great! No issues getting help and no issues using the card. Didn’t wait more than 30 minutes for any ride. If the wait was under 30 minutes we mostly went through the express line. On our first day out DD who is a huge potter fan got a call back into olivanders for a private wand selection. Amazing.

Disney - same as universal really. Great help, no issues getting or using the Assistance. It is now linked to one of you park passes so much easier to use.

Other stuff - great holiday made easier by planning and getting stuff in place. Few crashes with the wheelchair due to so many people walking looking at their phones or go pro and a bit of a issue in the queues at Disney with people reserving places in lines for big family groups.

Thanks for reading and if you need any help or have any questions please ask.
Welshie35 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
dkra2007
Apprentice Imagineer

Can I ask who you contacted for the lanyard at MAN and MCO ? We go next month and may still have time to contact them and have this sent home . VH/VA have marked booking as special assistance required but may help to flag this up now as well
Old 29 Aug 18, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dkra2007 View Post
Can I ask who you contacted for the lanyard at MAN and MCO ? We go next month and may still have time to contact them and have this sent home . VH/VA have marked booking as special assistance required but may help to flag this up now as well
I got mine from gatwick and emailed then via
HiddenDisability@gatwickairport.com so I'd assume manchester have similar. It is really handy to have in advance as its one less thing to stress about getting on the day. Ds has autism so they also sent me the autism guide to gatwick to help him prepare for what happens on the day.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

sounds like you had a great trip and things went pretty smoothly
Bet dd was over the moon with being selected at olivanders
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshie35
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We contacted MCO through messenger on Facebook and Manchester airport the same.
If you google Manchester airport hidden disability then they give you information regarding the Lanyard and it states that you can pick one up from the special Assistance Team st the terminal even if you have not pre arranged.
I hope this helps.
Welshie35 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 18, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Sounds like you had a great time and accessing available assistance for your daughter really helped, my daughter has the lanyard too which we got from assistance desk at Manchester Airport last year, it really is a great help.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 18, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Pocock
Proud to wear my Ears

Hi, sounds like a great trip. Can I ask how the DAS worked at both Disney and universal. We are planning next August with my daughter who has ASD. What did you have to supply to get the DAS and how did it work to queuing for rides? I know about fast-paced at disney,is it similar?
Pocock is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshie35
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Hi Pocock
You need no effects or evidence to get the DAS from Disney or universal. Just go to guest services on your first day and tell the CM what you need the DAS for and your daughters needs and they will sort it.
They linked the DAS to the ticket/magic band in Disney and a card for universal.
When you get this it is similar to virtual queuing. You get s return time for 10 minutes less themsn the advertised wait time and return thorough the fast pass or express line.
You can only queue for one ride at a time though.
If you manage your fast pssses and rides it really does help.
I hope the above makes sense?
The pass does not really save you time as you are still in a virtual queue but will help you with your daughter as you can keep her busy until the next attraction,
Old 18 Sep 18, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Pocock
Proud to wear my Ears

Thank you, that's really helpful.
Pocock is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List