Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jan 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
lovesdisney
Excited about Disney

Mobile Work anxiety

I started a new job 5 months ago...( I work as a nurse practitioner in a busy Gp surgery) but my anxiety has risen. I wake at 4/5am on the days I work, I am physically sick, I get reflux all on the says I work.
I enjoy the job on the whole when I’m there and the good days far out weigh the bad days now... I haven’t had negative feedback, my boss did my 3/12 review and is happy with my work... everyone is friendly although busy I know who to ask if I need support with clinical decisions.
I never used to have anxiety so don’t know how to cope with it. I want to increase my hour to full time but not if my anxiety won’t let me
Any advice?
Old 15 Jan 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Oh no that's not good. I've worked in primary care as a practice nurse for 18 years. The job has changed beyond recognition. I wake several times a night on work days and prob most days worrying about work amongst other things. One of the NP I work with has lost 3 stone since she started. It's a stressful job doing what your doing with a lot of responsibility. Don't underestimate your own needs tho. Can you access any mental health support work through work. We have a fantastic chap from mind who comes in and soon the physvhological therapies team are offering workshops to staff. Look after yourself and try and see if there is some support for you.x
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Definitely sounds like you need some mental health support. I’m in an entirely different profession but had severe stress and anxiety last year showing up in v physical symptoms and I have been in a treatment plan of cognitive behavioural therapy sessions which have definitely helped.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Id suggest speaking with your employers, looking to get medical help.

There will be specifics you are being anxious about, it will be worth concentrating on those looking for the root and then dealing with it.
Old 15 Jan 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lovesdisney View Post
I started a new job 5 months ago...( I work as a nurse practitioner in a busy Gp surgery) but my anxiety has risen. I wake at 4/5am on the days I work, I am physically sick, I get reflux all on the says I work.
I enjoy the job on the whole when I’m there and the good days far out weigh the bad days now... I haven’t had negative feedback, my boss did my 3/12 review and is happy with my work... everyone is friendly although busy I know who to ask if I need support with clinical decisions.
I never used to have anxiety so don’t know how to cope with it. I want to increase my hour to full time but not if my anxiety won’t let me
Any advice?
Do you keep a diary. I had this years ago when I worked as a Theatre nurse. I couldn’t understand why, I am a big note keeper , journals , bullet journals etc. When I reviewed back I realised that without knowing it, certain operating lists were causing me more anxiety than others.

I’d talk to your manager or your GP.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Are you in the RCN? If so check their website
They have advice re work place anxiety
They can also provide telephone counselling and coping techniques advice
It's free of charge and easy to access, I had quite a few sessions after DH died and we had had a lot of organisational changes at work
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It sounds like something at work is causing these feelings you just maybe haven’t worked out what yet. Being in the kind of job where you have to make clinical decisions is stressful. Many nights I lie awake thinking about patients I’ve seen. I’ve not been unwell though so I really think you need to see your GP.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

Sorry to hear this- Ive been a practice nurse for 10 years and know all about waking in the night with anxiety! It can can an incredibly stressful job, much different from when I started 10 years ago: much more pressure in primary care/ QOF/ more expectations/ responsibilities for nurses that isn't matched by pay or support. Is your PM/ GP lead the supportive type? Could you speak to them about this? Hope you can get some support soon, I totally get what you're going through- big hugs xxx
Endless Summer 2023

Edited at 05:22 PM.
jojo_3596 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

I've pm'd you
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List