Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 30 Dec 18, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Thank you both that does help. Dh and I went to Barbados this year, we love nothing more than a beautiful beach and if it was just us we would drive further south but kids aren't as fussed as long as theres sand and sea they will be happy, we want to go mid holiday to break it up. I'm going to book the Daytona hotel, it's free cancellation so if we see something else no big deal to change plans.

Thank you everyone!
ashilda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Daytona is a good option. Think about timings etc. We tend to do beach days at Clearwater, all day on beach / dolphin spotting etc, evening sunset and then Busch Gardens on the way back. So combined 2 days away beach n Busch. So doesn't quite break up the holiday so much, esp is we also go on a mini universal break in the middle.

We use barefoot bay in Clearwater Beach. V yellow though!

Edited at 06:54 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Good idea about combining a trip to the coast with Busch Gardens, if that was on your list to do

Ashilda, just wondering if you have tried the SeaBands on your daughter for motion sickness instead of meds? I only ask because I always get seasick, motion sick on rides etc, and my hubby does too, BADLY, but wearing these wrist bands neither of us feels sick at all. The meds always made me feel groggy so I know where you are coming from with the after effects on using motion sickness medicine

We've been to Daytona twice and I can't say it had an overly nice feel to it either time, we preferred Cocoa Beach much more in that area. However, if Daytona is the easiest to get to for you, and least hassle then I'm sure you could spend a good day on the sands there, whilst it isn't a tropical paradise I'm sure a beach in itself (the sand sun and surf) is a beach at the end of the day. Have fun!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post

We have done WDW a few times now

always discussed a beach day

this last trip for Aug we were in orlando for 3 weeks, we had a night in Universal booked and after 2 days in Uni / IOA couldnt face another day of simulators so last min decision we headed to Clearwater, parked above the hulk hogan store, and really enjoyed the day

we surf down in cornwall a few times a year, so know decent beaches, clearwater ticks the box, its nice white sands, the sea is warm and it was 36 C in Aug, its got a ron jons store, a nice little bar that did nice food

we will do it again next trip
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Daytona is a good option. Think about timings etc. We tend to do beach days at Clearwater, all day on beach / dolphin spotting etc, evening sunset and then Busch Gardens on the way back. So combined 2 days away beach n Busch. So doesn't quite break up the holiday so much, esp is we also go on a mini universal break in the middle.

We use barefoot bay in Clearwater Beach. V yellow though!
We're not doing Busch, we went last time, this is purely a beach trip 😁 we've booked Florida hotel on the cheap and cheerful basis so don't mind this one being the same, I'm not vig on rides and thrills I miss the sea! Just about to book Daytona hotel, if we change our minds or hear horror stories we'll cancel and stay put.
ashilda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Good idea about combining a trip to the coast with Busch Gardens, if that was on your list to do

Ashilda, just wondering if you have tried the SeaBands on your daughter for motion sickness instead of meds? I only ask because I always get seasick, motion sick on rides etc, and my hubby does too, BADLY, but wearing these wrist bands neither of us feels sick at all. The meds always made me feel groggy so I know where you are coming from with the after effects on using motion sickness medicine

We've been to Daytona twice and I can't say it had an overly nice feel to it either time, we preferred Cocoa Beach much more in that area. However, if Daytona is the easiest to get to for you, and least hassle then I'm sure you could spend a good day on the sands there, whilst it isn't a tropical paradise I'm sure a beach in itself (the sand sun and surf) is a beach at the end of the day. Have fun!
We've tried a few different types of bands, even a band that hangs off the back of car 🤦 tried so many medicines, tablets, herbal remedies, pillows, old wives tales... I made her travel holding copper coins once! Nothing but nothing other than doctor prescribed phenergan works on her!
She's fine on planes, copes for short journeys in cars and trains, bad on buses or coach and very bad on boats! Poor thing. We went whale watching in Spain last year, she filled bag after bag on the boat and that was with medicine, she says it was the worst day of her life! I don't want another day trip like that 😂
Old 31 Dec 18, 02:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather
Imagineer

I did a cheap overnight in Clearwater last year and loved it! It only takes just over an hour to drive, the beach is amazing; the dolphin watching tour on the Little Toot boat was great and I believe the aquarium is worth a visit!
Old 15 Jan 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Batman1
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by ashilda View Post
We've tried a few different types of bands, even a band that hangs off the back of car 🤦 tried so many medicines, tablets, herbal remedies, pillows, old wives tales... I made her travel holding copper coins once! Nothing but nothing other than doctor prescribed phenergan works on her!
She's fine on planes, copes for short journeys in cars and trains, bad on buses or coach and very bad on boats! Poor thing. We went whale watching in Spain last year, she filled bag after bag on the boat and that was with medicine, she says it was the worst day of her life! I don't want another day trip like that 😂
As an extreme travel sickness sufferer in the past, I know how it feels. It gets to the stage where even the thought of travelling brings it on.
From my own experience, I can suggest a few things.
Sopoderm patches I found really good. They go behind the ear and are not too severe.
Phenergan is heavy going and is also used to treat insomniacs!

It's probably gone beyond the physical now and even the thought of travelling will bring it on. Hypnotherapy worked miracles for me and I'm rarely sick now.
Batman1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

Mobile

Stayed at Clearwater for a night. Whilst the name is somewhat misleading!, it’s a great trip. The warmth of the water is amazing.

Went to cocoa beach, albeit in January, and wouldn’t rush back.
papasmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We stayed at daytona beach shores so south of the pier for Christmas and new year 2016. Stayed at the flamingo Inn, very dated but clean and the pool was newly refurbished overlooking the beach and sea, hotel walks right onto the beach through a private gate, was lovely, and quieter as down the south end
Love Joes on tree pier!
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List