Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Does anyone know if you can apply for a uni place and apply for an apprenticeship at the same time? If so, if she is successful with an apprenticeship, can she defer her uni place or does she have to decline it after results day?
Yes, my friend's son did exactly that and held an apprenticeship offer and a university offer. He decided to defer his university place for a year and accept the apprenticeship which meant he could try the apprenticeship with the knowledge that if he hated it, he could leave after a year and go to Uni and if he loved it, he could withdraw his application to Uni.

Best of luck

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

DS applied for accommodation at Kent this morning. They allow you to apply before accepting a place so we thought it best to do it. He had to choose 4 preferences and we didn’t realise you could only select 2 en-suite rooms. So we had to put down shared facilities for his 3rd and 4th choice which is a bit annoying as we weren’t considering anything other than en-suite. So just a heads up for anyone applying for accommodation as I expect other universities will be similar.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Edna Cloud View Post
Yes, my friend's son did exactly that and held an apprenticeship offer and a university offer. He decided to defer his university place for a year and accept the apprenticeship which meant he could try the apprenticeship with the knowledge that if he hated it, he could leave after a year and go to Uni and if he loved it, he could withdraw his application to Uni.

Best of luck

EC
Thank you - I take it he liked his apprenticeship?
1972 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Thank you - I take it he liked his apprenticeship?
Well, he definitely liked the salary rather than debt!
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

The schedule for the taster days are out now, UEA looks great. A subject talk, half hour seminar plus a half hour Q&A with students, a chance to look around accomadation and student union again and buffet lunch! It’s only 45 mins away so not a problem getting there.
Nottingham Trent looks like another open day, no subject lesson just a 45 minute talk which Dd went to before. No student union information, this was closed on the open day so was looking forward to seeing it. So now I’m wondering if it’s worth the 3 and a half drive there to see the same things as the open day. Dd knows what accommodation she wants, it would have been nice to see it again but can do online tours if she need to. I know if the UEA will make her unsure again so maybe she will need to see Trent to be sure. Or maybe just cancel both.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by roxie2001 View Post
The schedule for the taster days are out now, UEA looks great. A subject talk, half hour seminar plus a half hour Q&A with students, a chance to look around accomadation and student union again and buffet lunch! It’s only 45 mins away so not a problem getting there.
Nottingham Trent looks like another open day, no subject lesson just a 45 minute talk which Dd went to before. No student union information, this was closed on the open day so was looking forward to seeing it. So now I’m wondering if it’s worth the 3 and a half drive there to see the same things as the open day. Dd knows what accommodation she wants, it would have been nice to see it again but can do online tours if she need to. I know if the UEA will make her unsure again so maybe she will need to see Trent to be sure. Or maybe just cancel both.
So difficult to know what to do!

DS got an email from Southampton inviting him to an applicant’s day and saying they will in any event be making him an offer! He is pretty much set on where he wants to go but would like a back up plan!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post

DS got an email from Southampton inviting him to an applicant’s day and saying they will in any event be making him an offer! He is pretty much set on where he wants to go but would like a back up plan!
It is difficult. Bev kindly asked her daughter and confirmed Trent is more like an open day, so even if we do go it’s still not going to compare with UEA taster day. I just don’t know what to do for the best now!
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Great news about the Southampton offer!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Have you already been to Southampton on an open day?

If not it might be worth going. Is there anything else you can combine it with so it is less of a long journey short visit for you?

A back up plan is never a bad thing I think. There are all sorts of things that might crop up (other than exam results) which may mean his current first choice becomes less attractive or importantly less practical

Whether Southampton is the best back up plan depends on his other offers.

When we went for taster days we travelled the way the kids would going to/from during their time at uni. Rather than an easy car journey. It put a stop to one uni choice as child hated traversing London.

It may be harder to do that for you though!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by roxie2001 View Post
It is difficult. Bev kindly asked her daughter and confirmed Trent is more like an open day, so even if we do go it’s still not going to compare with UEA taster day. I just don’t know what to do for the best now!
if it helps, my DD has been invited to taster days for both her current favourites. We have already been to Greenwich (twice) on open days, and she had the opportunity on the first one to chat with the academic team, the course students, do a taster session for her degree course, and go to a welcome chat. She did all of that, so she's decided she's not going to Greenwich taster day in March. We are both going to Manchester in February, for their taster day, as we didn't manage to work in an open day visit last year. When she's doing her course taster sessions, I'll find somewhere to have a coffee.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List