Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jan 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I think Kier Starmer would be an excellent part of the “way forward” team. Hopefully Jeremy Corbyn will amend his stance and send Kier Starmer to assist.
Old 17 Jan 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
It works if there is some form of mutually assured destruction, but not if one side is affected a great deal more than the rest, as we would be in a no deal scenario. The only EU economy hit anywhere near as badly as us is Ireland.
My question is if this is true why are the E.U. so desperately trying to get us to stop (and believe me their tactics are just that - to make it so erroneous to leave that we just don’t) - I believe that he E.U. will be affected far far more than is being let on if we walk away, especially without a deal
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_daddy
Excited about Disney

It works if there is some form of mutually assured destruction, but not if one side is affected a great deal more than the rest, as we would be in a no deal scenario. The only EU economy hit anywhere near as badly as us is Ireland.
And from what I have seen its Ireland thats digging in over any flexibility in the backstop and shouldn't the rest of the EU worry about bailing them out when they already losing a 9 billion contribution from the uk , Germany economy is very shaky at the moment too.
Old 17 Jan 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
I think Kier Starmer would be an excellent part of the “way forward” team. Hopefully Jeremy Corbyn will amend his stance and send Kier Starmer to assist.
I like Kier Starmer - I think he may be the way forward for the Labour Party as I genuinely can’t see Corbyn fighting the next election (and I actually quite like him tbh)
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I'm not arguing that in an ideal world the EU doesn't want us to stay, I'm also not arguing that they're won't be economic damage to the EU under a no deal or harder Brexit.
But the EU's negotiating position throughout has been to mitigate the damage to the Union and protect the indivisibility of the four freedoms. It's been consistent and successful, although some still characterise it as an attempt to punish the UK.
Every single forecast (I know, experts!) and virtually every major business accepts that we are damaged by far the most by a no deal Brexit. You have this ridiculous "they sell to us more than we sell to them" argument which looks only at the money value of exports and imports and ignores the fact that as a percentage of GDP our exports to the EU are far larger than their exports to us.

Edited at 11:42 AM.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lisa12000___ View Post
I like Kier Starmer - I think he may be the way forward for the Labour Party as I genuinely can’t see Corbyn fighting the next election (and I actually quite like him tbh)
I swing between liking and loathing. I just don’t seem to be able to find a balance. I don’t really know much about Kier Starmer.

I don’t like the constant IRA connection stuff the press keep bringing up. Sometimes we have to talk to people we don’t like or agree with.

I can vote in a general elections, however I choose not too from a moral standpoint, I do not live in the U.K. so who am I to say how policies should be enacted upon. However, if there is a GE based around Brexit I will use my right to vote as that directly , and very much so, impacts my life from Day one.

I’m also annoyed with the E.U. once the U.K. leave I have no voting rights anywhere. So no voice. I think it’s incubent on both sides to create a spokesperson for us and E.U. citizens to voice our concerns over any policy in any country
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Plan B vote 29th January
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Plan B vote 29th January
I can’t help but chuckle at the fact that we know when the vote is before we know what the actual plan is. We are living in crazy times.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_daddy
Excited about Disney

I'm not arguing that in an ideal world the EU doesn't want us to stay, I'm also not arguing that they're won't be economic damage to the EU under a no deal or harder Brexit.
But the EU's negotiating position throughout has been to mitigate the damage to the Union and protect the indivisibility of the four freedoms. It's been consistent and successful, although some still characterise it as an attempt to punish the UK.
Every single forecast (I know, experts!) and virtually every major business accepts that we are damaged by far the most by a no deal Brexit. You have this ridiculous "they sell to us more than we sell to them" argument which looks only at the money value of exports and imports and ignores the fact that as a percentage of GDP our exports to the EU are far larger than their exports to us.
Not sure if that was aimed at me and if not i apologise in advance, but I do not think like that at all.

I just dont think its wise to take one of our strong negotiating cards off the table, corbyn know this he also knows if he backed a 2nd referendum he would loose vast swaths of the labour stronghold in the north who backed Leave do not confuse labour members with labour voters they have very different beliefs espc on Brexit. So his only option is to not play ball with t.may and bang the general election drum.
Old 17 Jan 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by disney_daddy View Post
Not sure if that was aimed at me and if not i apologise in advance, but I do not think like that at all.

I just dont think its wise to take one of our strong negotiating cards off the table, corbyn know this he also knows if he backed a 2nd referendum he would loose vast swaths of the labour stronghold in the north who backed Leave do not confuse labour members with labour voters they have very different beliefs espc on Brexit. So his only option is to not play ball with t.may and bang the general election drum.
Problem is Corbyn is after a GE so that the moderate MPs in his party can be then deselected and replaced with hard liners. There has been a few on TV this morning basically saying he should go and speak to the PM. At the end of the day what has he to lose and what on earth is he afraid of!