Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jan 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Whale Watching Recommendations Please

Hi

We've added whale watching in Monterey to our itinerary.
We'll be leaving San Francisco early and at the moment I'm thinking of the Princess Monterey at 10am.
That way we have the whole afternoon to enjoy the drive down the PCH to our hotel in Cambia.

I just wondered if anyone else here has done this one or if you'd particularly recommend another company to go with?
I didn't really want to do longer than the 3hrs which is what this one is.

I also wondered about clothing to wear.
It will be the end of August but I know it gets cold out there.
I was wondering how cold though?
I was thinking of taking our zip up berghaus fleeces to layer under a hoodie and layer up. I'm trying to avoid taking coats just for this.

Any advice would be appreciated please.
Thanks

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi we went on 2 occasions with sanctuary cruises and would highly recommend . Slightly smaller boat with marine biologist on board, educational without going over the top. This would also fit with you journey as they go from moss landing which is 20 mins north of Monterey . It also makes the journey out the the main spotting area quicker. If anyone in your party is liable to motion sickness you can also hire wrist bands to negate this.
Clothing for us was shorts and a hoody.
I see you don't plan to stay over in Monterey we would suggest as others will that this is a mistake, 17 mile drive,Carmel ,aquarium is fantastic. If possible we would say spend the afternoon and evening there and head of the next morning.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
scush
Proud to wear my Ears

We went out on the Princess Monterey last August, it was fabulous, was chilly on the ride home tho. I had shorts and a hoody on.
scush is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi we went on 2 occasions with sanctuary cruises and would highly recommend . Slightly smaller boat with marine biologist on board, educational without going over the top. This would also fit with you journey as they go from moss landing which is 20 mins north of Monterey . It also makes the journey out the the main spotting area quicker. If anyone in your party is liable to motion sickness you can also hire wrist bands to negate this.
Clothing for us was shorts and a hoody.
I see you don't plan to stay over in Monterey we would suggest as others will that this is a mistake, 17 mile drive,Carmel ,aquarium is fantastic. If possible we would say spend the afternoon and evening there and head of the next morning.
Thanks so much.
This is really helpful.
I have been to the area before, so I'm not so fussed with staying over as we have a lot of stuff to fit in that hasn't been done before.

Good to know that you think shorts and hoodies should be fine.
There was me thinking jeans and layers and layers

Thank you

@adeandlisadodisney

miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scush View Post
We went out on the Princess Monterey last August, it was fabulous, was chilly on the ride home tho. I had shorts and a hoody on.
Thank you.
Did you do the regular deck or the upper?

Thanks

@adeandlisadodisney

Old 16 Jan 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
scush
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by miss_mouse View Post
Thank you.
Did you do the regular deck or the upper?

Thanks
We did the regular deck, really was a fabulous! 3hrs felt about right. Once we got going we stood up and didn't sit again till the ride home.
scush is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scush View Post
We did the regular deck, really was a fabulous! 3hrs felt about right. Once we got going we stood up and didn't sit again till the ride home.
Thank you.
The kids are really excited about this

@adeandlisadodisney

Old 17 Jan 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We went with Sanctuary Cruises and had a great time.
I'd always not gone on any sort of boat trip due to seasickness but I hired one of their bands and it was like actual magic! I felt 100% fine for the whole 4 hours, and there was about an 8 foot swell.
Got great photo opportunities of humpbacks feeding too.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
We went with Sanctuary Cruises and had a great time.
I'd always not gone on any sort of boat trip due to seasickness but I hired one of their bands and it was like actual magic! I felt 100% fine for the whole 4 hours, and there was about an 8 foot swell.
Got great photo opportunities of humpbacks feeding too.
Thanks, that's really good to know.
Neither of my two have ever been out to sea like this so I don't want to chance it

@adeandlisadodisney

Old 17 Jan 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We went with Monterey Bay Whale watch last Easter. A very professional outfit with a very friendly, knowledgable Oceanographer on board.

We saw around a dozen Humpbacks, 2 x Greys, 200 plus Rizzos Dolphins, 2x Albatross , Sea lions and Sea Otters.

I spoke a fair bit with the helmsman/skipper and he informed me that all of the main boats were in radio contact with each other and that they pooled information re sightings. As he reasoned, it was in all of their benefits to ensure that all boats were as successful as possible. Whilst he might have eight sightings on a day and another boat 2, it might be the other way round on the following day. It is to everyone's benefit that both boats would have 10 sightings to choose from on each day.

I would reccomend this boat without hesitation and for a reason. We were on our way back and with 15 minutes left of our 4 hours when he sighted 2 greys. He warned us that there would be a 30 minute overrun if we wanted to see them up close. This we did and as we eventually moved on, he had called the sighting to another, rival boat in order that they also benefited. I believe that he had a one hour turnaround before his next departure.

An excellent day out. I have a few photos on my trip report, California N to South at Easter.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:54 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List