Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jan 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

We did a week back in September 2017 to take in the final day of Dragons Challenge at IoA. The parks were quiet & the weather was very good... we flew home 2 days earlier than planned to escape a certain Hurricane Irma.

Whilst September is a slow(er) month, the hurricane risk should not be underestimated. Going back 15yrs or so, we had a 2 week holiday in early November booked & had our accommodation changed about 10days before departure as a very late-season hurricane had damaged the roof of where we had planned to stay.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
We have done February and September and they are both so different,the warmest it got to for us in Feb was 75oC and Actually got as low as 37oC.
September however never went below 76oC and reached 95oC on more than one
Occasion with 90% humidity ,you will notice a real difference!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
We did a week back in September 2017 to take in the final day of Dragons Challenge at IoA. The parks were quiet & the weather was very good... we flew home 2 days earlier than planned to escape a certain Hurricane Irma.

Whilst September is a slow(er) month, the hurricane risk should not be underestimated. Going back 15yrs or so, we had a 2 week holiday in early November booked & had our accommodation changed about 10days before departure as a very late-season hurricane had damaged the roof of where we had planned to stay.
Be careful not to over estimate hurricane season either 😀 we have been in September 7 times and only had one near miss with Erica,hurricane season is from the 1st June to the 30th November!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Quensabob View Post
Be careful not to over estimate hurricane season either 😀 we have been in September 7 times and only had one near miss with Erica,hurricane season is from the 1st June to the 30th November!
Agreed. We were caught in Irma but in that’s the only time in 20 years and most of our trips in September.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Agreed. We were caught in Irma but in that’s the only time in 20 years and most of our trips in September.
Thanks for the replies - I am happy to be stand corrected. By all counts Irma was a fairly direct hit on Florida though.

FWIW, I was there with some friends when Irma hit & they had to stay on in Orlando. The parks all closed for 2 days & their hotel did lose power at one point. Other than that they were fine & both Universal & Disney gave them 2 days worth of complimentary tickets (they had 14 day passes for both) to cover the days they were closed. The Disney tickets had an expiry date on (something like 12mths) but the Universal ones were open-dated.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Thanks for the replies - I am happy to be stand corrected. By all counts Irma was a fairly direct hit on Florida though.

FWIW, I was there with some friends when Irma hit & they had to stay on in Orlando. The parks all closed for 2 days & their hotel did lose power at one point. Other than that they were fine & both Universal & Disney gave them 2 days worth of complimentary tickets (they had 14 day passes for both) to cover the days they were closed. The Disney tickets had an expiry date on (something like 12mths) but the Universal ones were open-dated.
We were also there for the actual hurricane. We were curfewed for around 24 hours and as you say the parks closed for 2 days. We stayed at Disney and the hotel didn’t lose power at all. The food court was open most of the time too. I have to say it didn’t occur to me to ask for tickets to replace the list days. It was hardly Disney’s fault.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

We were there for irma too,staying at old key west,the curfew was not long at all,and power stayed on.We had characters at the hotel the days the parks were shut and free arcade etc,they did what they could. We have been at that time of year before and since- just have to be aware.
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I got heat/sun stroke last year in Sept 18'on my first day and was in bed sick all the following. So make sure you cover up your shoulders and wear a hat until you're used to the heat. Oh and carry lots of bottles of water with you and stick to the shade.

Last year the temp was in the 30s every day but I wasn't as sticky as I was in 2016.

Sept '18 - POFQ, March '18- AKL, DLP Feb '18- Cheyenne, Sept '16- POR, Feb '15- CBR
Kpzorse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

I think you're not really going to know until you get there. We went last November with a lot of jumpers and jeans fully expecting us to need them most days. I think I wore a jumper twice in the 2 weeks, as it was hitting about 33c and the humidity was high 90s.
Old 17 Jan 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kpzorse View Post
I got heat/sun stroke last year in Sept 18'on my first day and was in bed sick all the following. So make sure you cover up your shoulders and wear a hat until you're used to the heat. Oh and carry lots of bottles of water with you and stick to the shade.

Last year the temp was in the 30s every day but I wasn't as sticky as I was in 2016.
Can I ask the times of your travel... I have a theory that early holiday illness, often attributed to airplane air, is actually down to tiredness.

Did you have an early start or a late night on travel day ?