Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Apr 18, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Well, I'm back from my cruise, and my stay before it in Singapore!

Singapore. Where to start.
We both loved it, from the neat clean appearance to the polite friendly people.
It was the little things like listening to the birds in the gardens - it sounded sooo sooo different! Felt like we could close our eyes and imagine we were in the jungle!
We also performed an experiment (Coriolis effect) being 1 degree and just 80 miles from the equator, letting a basin full of water go down the plug hole, and saw that there wasn't much swirling at all!

We were delayed by 14 hours going out so missed some time but we still did quite a bit of the touristy things!
We did -
Gardens by The Bay, both in daylight then back at night to see the trees light up. Wonderful! (Shameful concealed sobbing on my part when the bits of Disney music came on! )
Cloud Forest , impressive but very very busy!
Botanic Gardens - beautiful!
National Orchid Garden - BEYOND beautiful!
Merlion
Buddist Tooth Relic Temple
We used the MRT a little and then taxis, which were cheap.
Orchard Road area
The laser show from the Marina Bay Sands
Chinatown - including hawker markets
Hop On Hop Off bus tours - red yellow and brown
Marina Bay Sands hotel - our friends were staying there so they took us up to their room to see their view out over the bay at dusk. That is a view from a room that I think would be hard to beat! All the boats out in the bay looked so pretty. They then took us up to see the view from the top and to look at the infinity pool. Just wow!

Didn't have time to do Sentosa or the cable car ride sadly.

However - one thing is for sure - we would both love to go back, and I'm sure we will AND we will stay at Marina Bay Sands hotel - I've just GOT to have more time with that view!

I hope anyone going will love it as much as we did Be prepared for the humidity, it made Florida in the summer seem dry-aired! Thanks again Sky for your help on this thread!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow cloverlady... sounds amazing, making me so excited. Marina sands hotel does look amazing, have to admit I've not even looked at the prices.
How was your cruise?
Thanks for updating us.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Oh you have made it sound great. I can't wait now to fly out next Saturday. We plan to go everywhere that you have mentioned (except Marina Bay Sands hotel as we have no friends there!).

Thanks for the update.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Oh you have made it sound great. I can't wait now to fly out next Saturday. We plan to go everywhere that you have mentioned (except Marina Bay Sands hotel as we have no friends there!).

Thanks for the update.
Pumpkin pie I hope you have a fabulous time too, can you give us a brief trip report after?
I have 5 more weeks to go but I am soooooooooo excited.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nursetina View Post
Pumpkin pie I hope you have a fabulous time too, can you give us a brief trip report after?
I have 5 more weeks to go but I am soooooooooo excited.
Yes I'll post back here. We are also going to Hong Kong but will be back before you leave.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nursetina View Post
Wow cloverlady... sounds amazing, making me so excited. Marina sands hotel does look amazing, have to admit I've not even looked at the prices.
How was your cruise?
Thanks for updating us.
Cruise was amazing thanks!
Singapore, Thailand, Kerala India, Goa India, Oman and lastly Dubai.
So many different peoples, cultures, and levels of poverty/affluence - it was such an eyeopener!

The two polar opposites were so much poverty in India (but the happiest smiliest most friendly place we visited!) and so much wealth in Dubai.

Really do feel much richer for the experience (not financially though! )

But Singapore we really loved, as I said - we WILL be going back, that's a definite!

Enjoy ! You are all in for a treat!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 05:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Well we got back from our trip a couple of days ago. Six nights in Singapore and 7 nights in Hong Kong.

I cannot remember when I last enjoyed a holiday so much! Singapore - what a place.

We visited Gardens by the Bay - both domes are well worth a visit. We went two nights in a row to watch the Supertree light show. It only lasts 15 minutes but it's very atmospheric and made me sad to be leaving Singapore.

We also did Chinatown, Little India, the Arab district - lots of temples and mosques to visit. I like sewing and bought lots of fabric there.

Universal Studios - small park compared to Florida but that suited us as it was so hot and humid. The queues were not bad at all.

Botanic Gardens and the Orchid Gardens. Beautiful there - the noise of the insects and birds was facinating and felt it was like being in a jungle.

There is so much to see and do in Singapore and the MRT system is brilliant for getting around. I would love to go back.

Hong Kong - I was not sure if I would like HK but I am so glad we went. There is no language problem and it is so easy to travel around and cheap.

Highlights for me - Big Buddha, the view from the Peak at night, Tai O, Stanley and funnily enough our most relaxing day of our trip was at HK Disney. We hardly queued for anything at Disney - nearly all walk ons.

We did not have a drop of rain on holiday and struggled a bit with the heat and humidity at times but loved every minute of it.
Old 22 May 18, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Great review!
Sounds like you fell under the spell in Singapore too Pumpkin!

Funny that I said the exact same thing about the birds there making it sound like you were in the jungle!

Interesting to read about your experiences in the theme parks over that way

So glad you enjoyed it too though! When you going back? Hahaha

Nursetina - not long until you go now either! I'm more than a bit jealous!
Old 22 May 18, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I just loved it there and our hotel was perfect also. We had a view over the bay to Marina Bay Sands hotel, Gardens by the Bay etc.

I had a bit trouble persuading my husband there is more to the world than holidays in America (he loves road trips there) but he has enjoyed it as much as me.
Old 23 May 18, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Great review!
Sounds like you fell under the spell in Singapore too Pumpkin!

Funny that I said the exact same thing about the birds there making it sound like you were in the jungle!

Interesting to read about your experiences in the theme parks over that way

So glad you enjoyed it too though! When you going back? Hahaha

Nursetina - not long until you go now either! I'm more than a bit jealous!
Sounds amazing pumpkin, making me even more excited as you did everything we plan to do!

Cloverlady... eeeeekkkk no it's not long at all. I am fit to burst with excitement and I've still got over a week to go.