Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 25 Sep 18, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Animal's_lover
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I use the bash about method but I noticed Nadiya added bicarb to hers on her TV show.
Anyone tried that?
She uses baking powder and I tried it for the first time and they were lovely. She also uses ghee for fat

Anne
Animal's_lover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 18, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Animal's_lover View Post
She uses baking powder and I tried it for the first time and they were lovely. She also uses ghee for fat
Ha ha! Glad I didn’t try bicarb then!
Will give them a go on Sunday 😋

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 18, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Par boil then drain and cover in semolina flour, then into hot tray with a little goose fat then roast... Gordon Ramsay taught me that method

Edited at 12:01 AM.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 18, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Two things are key: right potatoes and right fat. Potato has to be a floury variety (Maris Piper is good, but others are OK too). I like goose fat mostly for roasties.

Par boil is really important and 220 degree oven is better than 200, but not always possible depending on what else you are cooking.

Really want a roast now...

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 18, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Haha I want roasties too now, do you think they can be made just as nice with a none animal based fat?
Old 6 Oct 18, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
Haha I want roasties too now, do you think they can be made just as nice with a none animal based fat?
I make both on a weekend because DD17 is vegetarian. The answer is hmmmmmmm... almost...

but just using a vegetable based oil makes them taste more "fried potatoes" than roast. They look like roasties, but don't taste the same.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 18, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I make both on a weekend because DD17 is vegetarian. The answer is hmmmmmmm... almost...

but just using a vegetable based oil makes them taste more "fried potatoes" than roast. They look like roasties, but don't taste the same.
Interesting, as I use oil only most of the year, oil and butter for special roast and goose fat for Christmas. They taste so much better!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 18, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caj View Post
Interesting, as I use oil only most of the year, oil and butter for special roast and goose fat for Christmas. They taste so much better!
I generally use oil and goose fat - half and half. Mainly because I don't actually like the smell of goose fat through the house if I only use that.

But DD being a recent veggie means we are experimenting with different oils, didn't like them with butter in the oil though, as that also smelled through the house.

Trex was ok, but DD has also "educated" us about the production of palm oil.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 18, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
littletink
Very Serious Dibber

Before I roast mine I sprinkle the potatoes with celery salt - absolutely gorgeous (if I do say so myself! )

Lindfields 2001 & 2005, West Stonebridge Christmas 2008
Disney Yacht Club, Marco Island, Duck Key & HRH August 2011, Lindfields & Rotonda Aug 2012 - HRH & Rotonda 2013 - HRH & Rotonda 2014 - NYC 2015 - AMI 2016 - Sunset Lakes/Rotonda 2017 - NYC/Bongo's!/AMI 2018 - Boardwalk-Rotonda-HRH 2019 - Rotonda 2023
littletink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 18, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

I get great roasters no matter the potatoe. Also only use goose fat at Christmas.

Have par cooked and tumbled and have cooked from raw. Yum yum in my tum.
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List