Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 22 Nov 18, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile DS wants to build his own gaming PC

DS14 has been talking for over a year about building his own gaming PC. DH and I are very comfortable using PCs but have never seen the inside of one.

DS has a list of all the component parts he wants to buy (compiled on a website that apparently helps to make sure that parts are compatible). He's fairly confident that he could build the PC with help from Youtube videos.

Have any Dibbers ever tried doing this from scratch?

Busy planning Florida holiday number 17
LoveHolidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

My husband has built many over the years. You do need to be very confident in what you're doing. It's very easy to damage different components by fitting them incorrectly or even just static can damage them. It's daunting but very doable (I've had a play about fitting RAM etc but mostly leave it to hubby now!)

To be honest though, the last time hubby and I got new PCs, we bought them from Overclockers. The cost, when allowing for having to buy Windows etc was there-or-thereabouts, and the fact you'd have it pre-built with a warranty was a definite plus.

Replacing/upgrading components is a no brainer, but a full build from scratch - unless you're talking a machine worth thousands, can work out less cost effective than a pre-built one.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
it's not difficult - key is to take your time.

YouTube videos is a really good idea. Also, magazines like Custom PC also do regular how to build a PC articles but in reality youtube will do the trick.

Have fun, it's quite enjoyable and I find the hardest part these days is getting the backplate in properly.

BTW If you want to get the part list posted up here I'll give it a once over as well.

What games is he looking to play and at what resolution?
Thanks so much for the offer. I'll get the list tonight and post it on here. I'm really grateful for any input/advice.

Busy planning Florida holiday number 17
LoveHolidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

I did this quite a few times going back a few years now.

The problem with off the shelf pc's always seemed to be that a decent well made one did cost more than the sum of the parts. Or if it was cheaper they would have scrimped.on something in there to cut costs. Say the power supply, or cooler. Plus self build let you put the money exactly where you wanted it in the PC.

I liked building them as it was good fun and you understood what you had built and could upgrade later with ease.

It is a risk - something could go wrong - no idea if you still do it now, but when i made them you had to get the metal paste between the cpu and the heat sink right, otherwise it would overheat and fry the cpu.

Personally i would 100% support our kids if they want to do this. What a great learning experience for a 14 yr old.

Just tell them to go slow and research lots. They could even just start with some old £50 job from ebay, taking it apart and putting it together again.

No idea if it is still running but i used to use a forum called micromart. Think the Dibb, but for pc and pc building. I used to ask loads on there.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

as above great project for lad to get stuck into not 100% sure would be more cost effective than buying a pre built one when you consider the makers bulk buying parts etc etc

but a good learning experience , that could trigger a career not necessarily in PCs but in IT its all the same sport

one thing often over looked make sure he gets an ESD mat / strap as all too easy to ruin expensive components with static
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

My DS wants to do the same. He's 13 and has been saving for ages. After Xmas he'll have enough to build a reasonable machine. I have been building PCs for years so obviously I will help him with it, but I haven't actually built one for years (since I switched to Macs).

So whilst I have no issues with the actual building, what I don't know is what's good and what isn't! He doesn't know what's what either and is relying on me.

I think I've settled on a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, but I don't know what graphics card to get, so if anyone has a suggestion at about £250 (or even a little more) for that I'd be grateful!

(Sorry, hijacking a bit here!)
Old 22 Nov 18, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Our boys asked for gaming laptops for Christmas, so hubby's been scouring deals recently, and the graphics cards specs came up a lot. The boys laptops we've chosen have dedicated 1060 graphics cards, but hubby's been talking a lot about the desktop 1060 and how much it outperforms our own gfx cards in our desktops. I think it's around your price bracket, so maybe somewhere to start your research?
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Its all very much " plug and play " these days, very little conflicts ( unlike the old days )

very easy to do
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
Its all very much " plug and play " these days, very little conflicts ( unlike the old days )

very easy to do
indeed no fannying about with IRQ 's
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

My 15 year old did this earlier this year. His bedroom now resembles the starship enterprise. On his Christmas wish list is a new graphics card a bigger monitor and a more expensive keyboard.