Notices
Social Groups Social Chatty type threads

Old 7 Dec 18, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
I’m still on the fence about e-bikes...

I fully understand that for some people it is the only way that they can get out and enjoy cycling, but for me, at this time, I like to know that all I’ve ridden I’ve done under my own steam. This isn’t to say that I will never have one, just not yet.

One thing I do find a little off though is people on e-bikes recording rides on Strava and not logging it correctly, all the sudden, people start getting KOM’s when you know that they are nowhere near as fit as the people they have beaten... ok, rant over.
Yes I had to change Strava every time it uploads, to the ebike setting, others should do the same.

Generally my much higher Strava figures come from up hills. Being nearly 15 stone I’m not fast up hills. I’m not fat, but have built up very big legs through cycling, that’s where a lot of my weight is. However on flats or downhills I’m faster on my road bike generally than the ebike. I’ve had 55 on my road bike before.

A study I just read showed eBikers generally use 75% of the energy of non eBikers. Having got one now, I can believe that is about right.

I think there’s definitely room for one in the fleet as such, I wouldn’t get rid of my non ebikes. It is though a brilliant machine.

Just got to try and get my tubeless set up working, may need some tubeless specific tyres as these ones I struggled to get on the rims even with the compressor. Very disappointed Trek didn’t put tubeless ready tires and rims on this bike. Shop I bought it from advised me to go Gorilla tape method. I’ve always had all my bikes tubeless.

Edited at 08:02 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 18, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

Going tubeless is the best thing I ever did. I resisted for a while, but the ability to run such low pressures gives so much more traction without running the risk of a puncture such as pinching a tube. Sure, it's a pain when you want to change tyres, but then tyre tech has come along way since I started racing MTB's 30 years ago and you can now use a tyre that covers most bases.

I'll probably give an e-bike a shot just to see what it's all about, but then go back to my trusty non electrical bikes. I'm thinking of going back down the aggressive hardtail route again, year round fun and less to go wrong.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

did my first proper ride into work this morning, took me 18 minutes (takes me 12 on a perfect day with no traffic in the car)... although i forgot the code to the gate and bike lockers at work, so spent 15 mins trying to get that before i could actually start work.

not particularly knackered or sweaty, although i am sat at my desk with the fan on full blast, although it doesn't help that the office is 23 degrees already!

not sure if i'm riding it home (uphill) tonight or tomorrow yet. going out for a few drinks after work, so will probably be tomorrow...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
Going tubeless is the best thing I ever did. I resisted for a while, but the ability to run such low pressures gives so much more traction without running the risk of a puncture such as pinching a tube. Sure, it's a pain when you want to change tyres, but then tyre tech has come along way since I started racing MTB's 30 years ago and you can now use a tyre that covers most bases.

I'll probably give an e-bike a shot just to see what it's all about, but then go back to my trusty non electrical bikes. I'm thinking of going back down the aggressive hardtail route again, year round fun and less to go wrong.
Yes tubeless is the only way to go, even my road bike is tubeless. This one is odd, neither rims nor tyres tubeless ready but I got them seated OK using the Gorilla tape method. However, whenever I ride it, I’m getting Stans bubbling up via the rim bead, but the tyres stayed inflated all night.

I’m going to keep riding and hopefully will all seal up. If not I’ll have to get some tubeless ready tyres and see if it’s better with a tighter bead.

Know what you mean re hard tail. I wanted simplicity for this bike and so got a hard tail, and it’s less to go wrong. My Whyte T130s rear suspension pivots have creaked and made noises since new, gets on my nerves and needs constant greasing between rides.
Old 15 Dec 18, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post

I used to MB as a semi pro many many years ago

surely the whole point of a ride is to feel the burn, with a ebike you get none of that, not for me i am afraid

i fully get it for a commute to work, thats fine
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List