Notices

Old 11 Dec 18, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
sallybunny
Excited about Disney

Boston History Tour October 2018: Day 4

Today was the road trip section to Plymouth. Today was also the day tiredness hit and anxiety went through the roof. I'm not going to lie, there was a point today when I looked at flights home for the next day! It was purely down to tiredness and sometimes doing ALL the adulting takes it's toll.

But back to the trippie! Out of the house and on our way to Enterprise in Forest Hills. The walk was a lot further than we thought! We picked up a Ford Fiesta for the trip down the coast. There may have been a few swears on the way out of Boston as it was the first time I've driven in the US for 18 years. Once on the road all was well and we even stopped at a Wendy's for coffee and loo break! And a lovely chat with the waitress.

And we arrived at Plimouth Plantation at 9.45. I've wanted to visit here for a long time so was very excited and it definitely didn't let me down!

We bought the Heritage Pass tickets for the plantation, grist mill and waterfront exhibition. After the film we headed to the Wampanoag village. There are people of the tribe to talk to who are all very keen to share their history and skills.

Boat building.

Summer house.

Winter house.

I think we brought a picnic for lunch today and ended up eating near the craft centre with about 100 school kids! But it meant the boys found some playmates. We did try some of the ‘authentic' foods (bar the squirt cream!). We all loved the cheesecake, not so much the pudding which was sweet cinnamon grits 🤢.

The craft centre was great and had some locally made pottery that came home with me. I'm a bit of a crafter so enjoyed having a chat with the people there, especially the potter who came from not very far from my home town! The best one was finding out about Native American headdresses and what the different sizes, colours and designs mean among the tribes.

On into the fort. Of course we had to try and protect the village. The boys weren't really clear who from though as they said that the Indians were all too friendly to attack.

And into the settlement. It was a well built and quite large recreation. If you've ever been to St Fagans near Cardiff, it was quite like that.

We had a wander into most of the houses chatting to people as we went.

A run around the back gardens.

And learnt that American wood fires smell different because of sassafras!

We were at the plantation for a good 5 hours so definitely got our money's worth. We headed into Plymouth to find the hotel and have s rest. I'm a bit short on photos for the rest of the day so we're onto stock photos. We stayed at the John Carver Inn and Spa and would definitely recommend it. Nice rooms, clean and central plus a great pool with slide.

We went and had a rest in the room and I got to sleep for a bit which did me the world of good. We headed to the pool to make the most of the slide. I'd love to say we swam but I spent all my time at the bottom of the slide!

Only the one photo of food! We took it easy and went to the hotel restaurant. It was decent food at a decent price and a nice waitress. I had a cobb salad, Pete a burger and Doug chicken tenders and fries. And we collapsed into bed!

Old 11 Dec 18, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I love that part of the east coast, so full of history.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by sallybunny - 11 Dec 18 6:17 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
sallybunny
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I love that part of the east coast, so full of history.
We can’t wait to go back! Next time we’re planning a stay on the Cape then a bit more Boston and maybe some Washington but that might be a whole other holiday again!