Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 7 Jan 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We have been busy with grandchildren up until now but I have just done the maths on the Points issue for Studios in 2020.

We hold 1000 Points and can always bank between 5 and 15 or thereabouts.

For 2020 we need 1136 for the same dates and same Resort.

Mrs Morrow doesn't agree with me but my view is we are sitting on at least $110K via resale and could do one heck of a lot of Villa stays for that. Plus not have to find $5774.92 in Annual Dues per annum

I will be watching resale like a hawk over the next 12 months.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We have been busy with grandchildren up until now but I have just done the maths on the Points issue for Studios in 2020.

Mrs Morrow doesn't agree with me but my view is we are sitting on at least $110K via resale and could do one heck of a lot of Villa stays for that. Plus not have to find $5774.92 in Annual Dues per annum

Ouch - that's a lot of dues, do you find it's better for you to go several times even with the extra costs of flights rather than do longer but fewer stays? You could always be snowbirds over the winter months and do long hire villas which would bring the costs down more I suspect.
unixgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Wow that would be lots of weeks in a villa! You are staying in one soon so may find you absolutely love it!
Would resale go up for your points as they are pushing Direct up aren’t they?
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
Ouch - that's a lot of dues, do you find it's better for you to go several times even with the extra costs of flights rather than do longer but fewer stays? You could always be snowbirds over the winter months and do long hire villas which would bring the costs down more I suspect.
We will be taking stock in the next few months as our 4 lots of flights in 2019 have cost us next to nothing by using Miles, Reward upgrades and Downgrade vouchers.
We certainly will drop back to 3 vacations as somehow we have crept up to 4
The Winter appeals but we adore the raging heat. 105+ degrees suits us

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
Wow that would be lots of weeks in a villa! You are staying in one soon so may find you absolutely love it!
Would resale go up for your points as they are pushing Direct up aren’t they?
I think for the 14 original Resorts prices will rise, however we shall see.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

We have had many happy years from our two contracts and hope to have a few years more before I’m too decrepit to enjoy disney any more. We bought direct and never expected to make money but it has already paid for itself.
I don’t mind them not having a great value in 10 years time but we put both our children on the contracts at inception and are now wondering if they will want the aggravation and cost on contracts that don’t expire until 2057 (AK & OKW).
Will they be more difficult to sell a few years down the line if resale is restricted.

Both contracts AK and OKW expire 2057
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
DVC isn't an investment and DVD even says so, so why do so many treat it as such by looking to make money by selling at a later date? DVC is and has always been a long term item to have... you save over the cash cost of staying at the resorts. Purely on a cost basis of going to Florida it would cost me less by staying in a villa all the time but that's not why we bought DVC in the first place, its because we wanted to stay at Disney in a deluxe resort cheaper..
You are right, I've always said on here do not buy as an investment. However there has always been the inescapable conclusion that it held its value. I've also always thought to make it worth it, it should be held for 10 years minimum. The fact it held its value factored heavily into any research an educated buyer did before deciding to go ahead.
Additionally guides as a fact have often stressed that whilst not an investment, it has held its value.
Frankly I don't think the older contracts will lose much if any value. They could go up as seen as more desirable.
But if you are now buying direct at Riviera- that is a game changer and most educated buyers will probably not buy it now. The boards and social media are full of owners saying they were considering an add on there, but not now.
They turned it more into a standard timeshare.
I'm still surprised they did it, but they must have thought it worth the gamble.
As I clear 8%+ in rental yield, as long as rental rates hold up, I doubt I'd sell anyway. When I likely get sick of going I'll just rent it out and still expect I'll have done nicely at the end.
But at the moment we can never be sure what DVD's next move is, and all owners have a much higher perceived risk factor now.
For example, will dues continue to shoot up. Will we see more lockoff premium points manufactured year after year? Will they decide to impose restrictions on trading / charge trading fees/ give better priority to the new DVC MK2?
I could not now recommend a new owner buy in without them considering all these substantial risks.

Edited at 02:41 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

We will be taking stock in the next few months as our 4 lots of flights in 2019 have cost us next to nothing by using Miles, Reward upgrades and Downgrade vouchers.
We certainly will drop back to 3 vacations as somehow we have crept up to 4
The Winter appeals but we adore the raging heat. 105+ degrees suits us

I think for the 14 original Resorts prices will rise, however we shall see.
I used airmiles for my next trip and even got UC for the return leg but still cost me the taxes. I don't know how you cope with those temperatures - way too hot for this northerner.
unixgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
slightly serious Dibber

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned as I'm reading quite a few threads about this at the moment, but this wording makes it even worse!

"Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at the 14 existing Disney Vacation Club Resorts or future Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort or Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts."

When it talks about exchanging in to does that mean they can still use their points to stay there but pay a small fee, or an exchange rate that doesn't make it worth while?

As was mentioned previously, I'm very aware that this isn't an investment but I was hoping that I could have got something back on it if I ever needed to!
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Just to clarify would this apply to direct resale purchases through Disney and resale contracts via other agencies?
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

This is resale through other agencies. You can only buy direct from Disney, whether at the currently advertised resorts or at the older ones.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List