Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 11 Jan 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rapunzel83
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
We’ve been every trip (4 times) and have loved it each time. We went on New Years Day last week and it was the best yet possibly as this time we eventually got a table by the window directly looking out to the Castle.
I'm soo pleased to read this, we too have been every trip and loved it! We have booked to go again in May, so fingers crossed its just as good as previous visits
Rapunzel83 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
TartanTink
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We also go every trip as I said it’s a must do for us . Been 10/12 times and always had a great time but realise it gets mixed reviews

Tartan Tink
TartanTink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Dog
Trying for More Ears

I’m planning to book dinner at Ohana this Sunday (180 days). It’s the food and setting we like the look of so hopefully doesn’t disappoint.

It was between this and Chef Mickey’s but felt we already have enough character meals on the list so just went with Ohana.
Slinky Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We’ve booked Ohana for the first time for our visit. Always wanted to try it so very excited. 😁
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ShezMcQ
Excited about Disney

ShezMcQ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 6
'Ohana was the restaurant I looked forward to the most and it was the one we were most disappointed with during our trip in November.

We too had the DDP so weren't concerned re the cost but the service was poor, food mediocre at best and the whole thing just felt rushed and entirely overrated. We would definitely not return.

On the other hand, our dinner at The Wave in the Contemporary Resort was a fairly last minute addition and one of our favourite meals onsite. There are so many better options than 'Ohana in my opinion--this is just our personal opinion as I realise plenty of folks love it.
Polynesian Resort/HRH/The Grove - Nov18
RPR/Floridays/Hollywood Beach - Oct19
ShezMcQ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ShezMcQ View Post
'Ohana was the restaurant I looked forward to the most and it was the one we were most disappointed with during our trip in November.

We too had the DDP so weren't concerned re the cost but the service was poor, food mediocre at best and the whole thing just felt rushed and entirely overrated. We would definitely not return.

On the other hand, our dinner at The Wave in the Contemporary Resort was a fairly last minute addition and one of our favourite meals onsite. There are so many better options than 'Ohana in my opinion--this is just our personal opinion as I realise plenty of folks love it.
I wondered why it was that you felt the food was mediocre? We've never eaten at Ohana before and I'm quite nervous about it as an addition to our itinerary as reviews are so mixed. But I've ALWAYS wanted to eat there.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ShezMcQ
Excited about Disney

ShezMcQ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by tracey1302 View Post
I wondered why it was that you felt the food was mediocre? We've never eaten at Ohana before and I'm quite nervous about it as an addition to our itinerary as reviews are so mixed. But I've ALWAYS wanted to eat there.
The bread was nice, we all really enjoyed that. The salad had mushrooms in it--which we both can't eat but given that I've never had mushrooms in a salad before, hadn't thought to let them know to exclude them.

I don't eat wings but my husband said they were nice, the pot stickers were ok, nothing special however the sauce for both was lovely. We do not eat shellfish so can't comment on the shrimp but the chicken was not good at all... very dry. The beef was nice, bit tough but I would have expected that due to the way it's cooked. Again, with the nice sauces that you're given for the wings/pot stickers it was ok.

The noodles were just noodles... nothing special but I did enjoy the veg.

For me, the dessert was a major let down. We were not offered anything different for the kids and they ended up just having some of the ice cream from the top of the bread pudding. DH doesn't like bananas and we would have asked for an alternative for him and the kids but our server was completely non-existent--a theme of the whole meal unfortunately.

I love bread pudding, bananas, toffee sauce etc. and had expected to love the dessert but I just didn't rate it. It was stodgy, bland and really disappointing.

Overall for us, the service was the main let down though. I could have forgiven the food as its so mass produced, its never going to be world class but the service was abysmal and given that it was the most expensive meal (even though on DDP) and so our most expensive tip of the whole trip, it really stuck in our throats to pay it. We did say on the way out that we had been really disappointed but they weren't interested.

This is just our own experience though, lots of people go and love it and I imagine with a great server, it would be better.

We were staying in the Poly so being in that location wasn't part of the experience for us and meant we were judging 'Ohana purely on the restaurant itself. It was our least favourite meal of all our onsite meals during our trip.
Polynesian Resort/HRH/The Grove - Nov18
RPR/Floridays/Hollywood Beach - Oct19
ShezMcQ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ShezMcQ View Post
... the service was poor, food mediocre at best and the whole thing just felt rushed and entirely overrated. We would definitely not return.

There are so many better options than 'Ohana in my opinion...
Exactly how I feel, we are lucky enough to visit 2 or 3 times a year and 'Ohana never gets anywhere near our ADR list after a very mediocre visit 5 years ago.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Exactly how I feel, we are lucky enough to visit 2 or 3 times a year and 'Ohana never gets anywhere near our ADR list after a very mediocre visit 5 years ago.
I agree, rubbish service 6 years ago and it never even come up in our dining discussions either.
Old 14 Jan 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
We had a early booking for dinner not long after it had opened in the evening. Service was excellent, our server brought plenty of food out for us the food was hot and good ( I hate lukewarm food ) we all left stuffed it is one for us to go back to.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List