Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jan 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Passport turnaround times?

I have a UK passport but live in France.

My passport expires in September this year but was originally issued in April 2009 (so 10 years 5 months on the passport!). I understand that if there is no Brexit deal, my passport will effectively be of no use after April 2019!

My difficulty is that I am off to Argentina in just over 6 weeks and potentially to Canada at the end of April (after the 10 year anniversary of the issue of the passport). I need to have my passport on 22nd March for ID proof for an exam!

Still with me!?

Does anyone have any recent experience of the current turnaround times? My DS’s took less than 10 days last year but obviously the context is different now!

Thanks

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Daughters took a week from start to finish using online application , she is however UK based
Not sure how much longer extra postage time you would need to allow for posting abroad
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ours took less than a week, and over the Christmas period too! We are also UK based too though.
Old 8 Jan 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

I posted a couple of weeks ago over Christmas about exactly this. My dh did his online on the Sunday evening. He had his new passport back in the Thursday or the Friday. This was the week before Christmas so it’s all a bit blurry now but definitely less than a week!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I have a UK passport but live in France.

My passport expires in September this year but was originally issued in April 2009 (so 10 years 5 months on the passport!). I understand that if there is no Brexit deal, my passport will effectively be of no use after April 2019!

My difficulty is that I am off to Argentina in just over 6 weeks and potentially to Canada at the end of April (after the 10 year anniversary of the issue of the passport). I need to have my passport on 22nd March for ID proof for an exam!

Still with me!?

Does anyone have any recent experience of the current turnaround times? My DS’s took less than 10 days last year but obviously the context is different now!

Thanks
Isn't it just the EU saying it had to be issued in last 10 years for travel? I think it's still valid elsewhere. Might be worth checking.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Ours were 6 days after posting at end of Oct 2018. DS has one same dates as you OP, 10 and a half years exp Sept, so he posted his off yesterday after applying on line. I'll update when his arrives back. They are very good about sending email and text updates.
Old 9 Jan 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
heidi987
Apprentice Imagineer

heidi987's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My passport runs out in 2022 will I need to renew mine before I go which will be in 2021
Old 9 Jan 19, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Thanks everyone. The government site says that if there is no Brexit deal, I would need to change it for Canada (which isn’t yet booked but I am limited as to when I can go!)

I think I will bite the bullet and get it done this week. DS’s only took a week to come back last January even being in France and it will stop me worrying

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

I would get it done now and then you aren’t worrying.
Do it online, take the photo on your phone and it tells you straight away if it’s acceptable.
I’m just doing mine and my sons. Except I had to print his out as can’t do it all online.
LLamb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

We did one online and it was returned in under a week BUT remember that they don't start proper processing until the current one has been retu4ned