Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 7 Jan 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile Never thought I'd do it

Every year I say "next year we ain't going to Orlando" and every year we go!

I've booked my first visit to Thailand for June this year. Going to Bangkok and Khao Sok National Park and then Dubai on the way home.

Need to start planning now as it's all new to me. Scared but excited to finally try somewhere new.

If anyone has been to any of these places any info would be appreciated.
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I love Thailand! You’ll have great fun! I’m not sure if it’s up your street but I can recommend an amazing street food tour. It was one of our favourite parts of Bangkok and we ate so many different foods.

Where are you staying in Bangkok?
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I spent a week in Bangkok in June and have also been to Dubai - both trip reports are in my signature Shout if you have any questions - loved both places!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I'm staying at mercure Bangkok Siam. It's next to mbk centre.

I'm a vegi but I know my husband would love to try some wacky food. I'll do anything. I really just want to do something new.

Do you need any vaccinations? I was wondering when I go to khao lak I'll be visiting the rainforest and going on boat trips and elephant sanctuary etc.
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
Oh great place to explore. The MRT and BTS are a great way to get around Bangkok and really easy to use! (Plus they are air conditioned so a good way to escape the heat). I would say if you want to take a Tuk Tuk don’t take the first price offered as its likely going to be extortionate, don’t be afraid to barter down / walk away. Taxis are a bit better as they are metered. They really aren’t expensive at all!

Jim Thompson’s house is really worth a visit.

I wouldn’t say the food is wacky it’s just really good Thai food. It would matter that you are veggie either. Make sure your guide knows (it’s a private tour) and he’ll make sure you don’t have meat. There’s so many veggie dishes in Thai cuisine you’ll be fine! If you want to have a look this is the one we did Check out this experience in ...tour-d5c9f078/ we had Big do our tour and I’d really recommend booking with him (you choose your guide via with locals).

It was great to see more of the markets and try food we wouldn’t necessarily know to try! Plus he gave us some great tips about markets etc.

Re: vaccinations we didn’t get any boosters but we were still covered from when we went travelling. Check out Fit for Travel it will tell you recommenced vaccinations and you can also look at the malaria map, although you’ll probably be ok.

Edited at 10:06 AM.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post
Oh great place to explore. The MRT and BTS are a great way to get around Bangkok and really easy to use! (Plus they are air conditioned so a good way to escape the heat). I would say if you want to take a Tuk Tuk don’t take the first price offered as its likely going to be extortionate, don’t be afraid to barter down / walk away. Taxis are a bit better as they are metered. They really aren’t expensive at all!

Jim Thompson’s house is really worth a visit.

I wouldn’t say the food is wacky it’s just really good Thai food. It would matter that you are veggie either. Make sure your guide knows (it’s a private tour) and he’ll make sure you don’t have meat. There’s so many veggie dishes in Thai cuisine you’ll be fine! If you want to have a look this is the one we did Check out this experience in ...tour-d5c9f078/ we had Big do our tour and I’d really recommend booking with him (you choose your guide via with locals).

It was great to see more of the markets and try food we wouldn’t necessarily know to try! Plus he gave us some great tips about markets etc.

Re: vaccinations we didn’t get any boosters but we were still covered from when we went travelling. Check out Fit for Travel it will tell you recommenced vaccinations and you can also look at the malaria map, although you’ll probably be ok.
Great information but would just add that the river boats are a quick and cheap way of getting around Bangkok.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Thank you so much you all the tips. I will check out the food tour. Also everyone says you should not exchange money in the UK but do it when you are over there. Is it easy enough to do? I was going to book transfers from the airport with Holiday Taxis. The total cost is £36 for return transfers in a private car. I have used this company a few times in other countries and it was fine so fingers crossed!
Old 8 Jan 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

What boat trips are you planning to do from khao lak,as they don’t operate to the islands,in the rainy season.
They stop operating in may & usually start up again in Nov,as the seas are just too rough,during these months.
We have been going to khao lak,for the past 5 years & we don’t get vaccinated,but if I was planning,on visiting the rainforest,in the rainy season,I think I would definitely look into it & get advice on it.
The taxi from Phuket,to khao lak,is on average £30.thats with a private car,so £36 is a little higher,but not a great deal.
Where are you staying in khao lak
Tracy x
Old 8 Jan 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
Mobile

You’d probably find you’d pay less than £36 getting a taxi when you arrive (you go to a kiosk tell them your hotel and they’ll give you a price and tell the taxi driver). But it wouldn’t be a huge difference so if you’d feel better pre booking then do it.

I’ve changed over a bit of money in the U.K. before and never had any issues with it and then when I’m there i’ll Either use my card or use an ATM!
Old 8 Jan 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Sorry ive just checked and its Las orquideas resort in khao sok. I think it's in the village outside the national park. I fly into Surat thani airport on 8 June and the hotel is picking me up.

No tours are booked yet. Still not looked into it that much. I'm sure my husband wants to do kayaking or raft tours in the national park and also a boat tour in the park. I came across an elephant sanctuary website where you can wash and prepare food for the elephants arc but no riding. Think it's about an hour or so drive from khao sok but they pick you up and drop you off again.

Not sure what else is available without a car. Someone mentioned a temple with monkeys. Again I have no idea how to get to these things. Anything you could recommend in the area would be appreciated.

Diane x