Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 13 Jan 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
donnacraig1984
Getting Excited

Mobile Car hire insurance.

Has any one purchased car hire insurance through a 3rd party rather than the car hire company, we have got a few quotes which include CDW all around £100, anyone got any experience of doing this.
Cheers.
donnacraig1984 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
A couple on here have done it. 99.9% of us wont touch it sorry. My view is that in such a litigacious society I dont wish to be fighting a battle from 4000 miles away when home.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I stood next to a guy at the car hire desk who was arguing with the agent, he was saying he didn't need to buy their insurance as he had his own and was waving the documents around but the agent wasn't having any of it. There are car hire companies who include all the extra insurances in the package, I tend to use BA/Avis as I know it is all inclusive.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
gaz-r
Helping Minnie

I have used my own hire insurance each time i rent in the USA and other parts of the world.

icarhireinsurance

I have not found any Hire company in the USA that insist you take theirs, but they do make sure you sign the rental agreement to say you were offered it and declined. (they do that to ensure you cant wriggle saying you were not made aware ).

I was there 2 weeks ago , with Alamo , and no pressure or refusal .

I have used this company for years now.
gaz-r is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by gaz-r View Post
I have used my own hire insurance each time i rent in the USA and other parts of the world.

icarhireinsurance

I have not found any Hire company in the USA that insist you take theirs, but they do make sure you sign the rental agreement to say you were offered it and declined. (they do that to ensure you cant wriggle saying you were not made aware ).

I was there 2 weeks ago , with Alamo , and no pressure or refusal .

I have used this company for years now.
Correct me if I am wrong but that doesn't give you SLI for the $1.000.000 we all need.

Or am I misreading it?

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but that doesn't give you SLI for the $1.000.000 we all need.

Or am I misreading it?
Tom

The FAQs on their web site specifically EXCLUDE SLI. I wouldn't like to be involved in a prang that injured any third party person or property.

Sometimes additional liability protection called Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) - covering Third Parties; i.e. other vehicles and individuals, may be required. This is often in states or countries where the statutory levels of liability insurance that must be provided with the rental vehicle are considered insufficient to protect you in the event of a serious claim. iCarhireinsurance.com does not offer Supplemental Liability Insurance and you should check directly with your rental company if you are unsure of the level of third party liability cover that you already have as part of your rental agreement.

Not for me thanks.

Mick

Edited at 06:25 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Tom

The FAQs on their web site specifically EXCLUDE SLI. I wouldn't like to be involved in a prang that injured any third party person or property.

Sometimes additional liability protection called Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) - covering Third Parties; i.e. other vehicles and individuals, may be required. This is often in states or countries where the statutory levels of liability insurance that must be provided with the rental vehicle are considered insufficient to protect you in the event of a serious claim. iCarhireinsurance.com does not offer Supplemental Liability Insurance and you should check directly with your rental company if you are unsure of the level of third party liability cover that you already have as part of your rental agreement.

Not for me thanks.

Mick
Mick, well done. You dug deeper than I did.

I value my house, car, savings and lifestyle and have no wish to lose the lot and be declared bankrupt.

Not for me either thank you.

Old 15 Jan 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Tom

Not for me thanks.

Mick
Yep one of the problems without totally reading these policies.
As you know I rent in Europe a number of times each year and always pick the all inclusive option.
Over a number of rentals I only paid just over 20 quids across these.
Of course it's always each for own, but I'm out of these policies.
Old 15 Jan 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Yep one of the problems without totally reading these policies.
As you know I rent in Europe a number of times each year and always pick the all inclusive option.
Over a number of rentals I only paid just over 20 quids across these.
Of course it's always each for own, but I'm out of these policies.
Duncan

I also believe that if you take out independent CDW then should you have a prang the car hire company will, in the short term, deem you responsible and place a hold on your CC until blame is resolved and that hold will stay until the matter is resolved between them and the insurers.

Have a prang with CDW in place - just ring Alamo (or similar) and they'll just bring you a new car. No arguments and no excess to pay.

Donnacraig

Decision is obviously yours but are you saving a substantial amount more than £100 hiring a car without CDW and SLI?

Mick
Old 15 Jan 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Tom

Not for me thanks.

Mick
Well spotted Mick.
That could end up with you losing everything you own if you injure someone

I’ll stick to Alamos own “insurance”

Each to their own decision of course.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List