Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jan 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I disagree. You cannot second guess the outcome. If it asks about a pending prosecution then yes. If not you wait for the Points to land then inform them.
He can in all honesty say that today he has a clean licence. that will change in the weeks to come.
They usually ask if there are any pending prosecutions.

Problem is if you wait until points are on his licence then your insurance company may really sting you, and it might be cheaper shopping around for insurance with other companies.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I disagree. You cannot second guess the outcome. If it asks about a pending prosecution then yes. If not you wait for the Points to land then inform them.
He can in all honesty say that today he has a clean licence. that will change in the weeks to come.
I dot think this is a risk worth taking. Imagine having an accident and them claiming you are not insured as you didn't tell them.
Yes, this may be a technicality, but would you want this on top of already not renewing.
Not worth taking a risk like this. The hit is coming anyway.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
They usually ask if there are any pending prosecutions.

Problem is if you wait until points are on his licence then your insurance company may really sting you, and it might be cheaper shopping around for insurance with other companies.
Either way the £300 fine that goes with the six points on the licence is going to be the cheap part of this concentration lapse.

All insurers penalise people who have points for driving without insurance, most won't even insure you for the time the points are on your licence
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

It is easy to overlook these things, particularly when there are other things going on in life (as there always is). Thankfully there was no accident and now you are aware, you can at least get insurance and won’t be likely to forget again.

My DH is another who leaves it all to me. I know he can do it himself but he works full time and I don’t so it makes sense for me to see to household admin. I have found I am finding it harder to remember all the relevant dates lately, so I think I should find time to sit down and mark everything on the calendar
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

I normally put it in my calendar for a month before the renewal date as this gives me plenty of time to visit all the comparison sites to get the best deal.
Sorry for your predicament OP and I hope you get a fair hearing and a lenient magistrate. There are some around!
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m sure each year I have renewed mine the notice has said it will auto renew to the car it was originally paid for with, so I’m surprised they didn’t auto renew it. (I pay mine yearly normally too)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
I normally put it in my calendar for a month before the renewal date as this gives me plenty of time to visit all the comparison sites to get the best deal.
Sorry for your predicament OP and I hope you get a fair hearing and a lenient magistrate. There are some around!
If I was the OP id be hoping for a straight polive prosecution.

The tariff for this crime if handled by the police is 6 points and a £300 fine

If handled by the magistrates it's an unlimited fine, 6 points minimum (they can opt to add more but without extenuating circumstances like loss of livelihood cannot impose less) and they also have the option of a custodial sentence.

Avoid a court hearing if you can, if you can't make sure you have a lawyer who knows these types of cases
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I have a spreadsheet for these types of things. Also if I’m changing company I pay up front about 2 weeks before so that there is never an excuse of them not renewing it etc.
I did this with the home insurance once. It used to be up in mid sept and now it renews beginning of dec cos I had manage to forget about it for 2.5months. Luckily no one noticed and this was a while ago. I remember the only reason we remember was cos we had a leak in the bathroom and I was gonna call out the 24hours help for the home insurance to fix. Hubby ended up fixing it thankfully.
Old 14 Jan 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
If I was the OP id be hoping for a straight polive prosecution.

The tariff for this crime if handled by the police is 6 points and a £300 fine

If handled by the magistrates it's an unlimited fine, 6 points minimum (they can opt to add more but without extenuating circumstances like loss of livelihood cannot impose less) and they also have the option of a custodial sentence.

Avoid a court hearing if you can, if you can't make sure you have a lawyer who knows these types of cases
The likelyhood of a magistrates court making this a custodial sentence is as good as zero, unless the person caught has done this many times before (which isn't the case here).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thank you for all your replies and comments. We have taken it on the chin and have learnt our lesson. The police said its a fixed penalty £300 and the 6 points. The notification they left him said to wait for the proper notification. I think if we contested it, it might go to magistrates court, we are not contesting it as we did make the mistake but if there is a possible chance of asking for lenience then we will but won't hold our breath.
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List