Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jan 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

We got rid of stacks just before Christmas on Facebay or to charity.
We’ve kept all the Brio, Lego and the nicest Playmobil sets for some reason!
We started building Lego sets to check all the bits are there just before Christmas and it’s a job I wish I’d never started 😩
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter spent a lot of time in hospital when she was younger and the toys were even broken or a mess so I donate loads to there, plus any construction toys primary schools & nursery’s love so I send them there too.
At Christmas our primary school do a Christmas fair and they love donated toys to sell on the stands.
If anything is sentimental I keep such as my daughters very first minie mouse teddy lol
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
paulac
Imagineer

I kept a few toys from my son and daughters childhood ... duplo and ELC animals mainly and now my grandson loves to play with them when he comes to stay at Grandmas and Grandads. I have just been having another clearout with my daughter age 26 and who is 39 weeks pregnant and we found all her Scooby doo toys... all the soft toys have been through the washing machine and are now drying out on the radiator.

Sept 1998 - Sheraton Safari Hotel
Oct 2000 - Holiday Inn Family Suites (now Nickelodeon)
Aug 2002 - Villa
Aug 2005 - Cypress Pointe Resort - & Universal HRH
Aug 2007 - Disney Caribbean Beach Resort
Apr 2008 - The Fountains, Disney YC & Universal RPR
Aug 2009 - Cypress Pointe Grande Villas & Universal RPR
& Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
paulac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

We will definitely be keeping all the brio as both boys loved this, the big playmobil train set, all the metal Thomas the Tank trains and the toy cars (hundreds of them), Lego and duplo and probably all the action man paraphernalia.It’s all the rest like incredibles figures,cars from original film, power ranger toys a million pieces of McDonalds tat, Bob the builder, imaginext sets. They are now all at least 15 years old or thereabouts and not sure if kids would still play with them. It’s something we will have to do as a family I think but dh is a sentimental hoarder so I’ll have to be ruthless with him. Dh still has his toy cars from the 60’s but were well played with outside, and his original Lego train set.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

I would ebay it, or FB selling site. I sell the kids old toys each November and make around £150, which goes on buying more toys for Christmas. I also buy most of their toys from eBay - the kids love playmobil, sylvanians and now vintage polly pocket, some are 30 to 40 years old and I love that different kids over the years have played with these toys over and over. When the kids go to MILs they play with their dad’s old toys, Thomas and Thunderbirds sets
A friend of mine collects vintage sets like yours, buys for a couple of quid at car boots and sells them on for £30/£40!
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
kissimmee kate
slightly serious Dibber

All four of my children are fully fledged with the youngest now 30! I donated all of their old toys to our local hospice shop and friends with young children but I did keep one large box of sturdy wooden ELC toys, some playmobil and Fisher price cars with garage. So p!eased i did as I now have 5 grandchildren who love it when they come to stay as they have different toys to play with and they are still going strong.
1995-Poinciana Blvd..1998- Lake Davenport..2000-Country Creek..2002 -Indian Creek..2003 -Calabay Park..October 06-Lake Davenport.. 2007 -Mission Park.2008 -Highlands Reserve.2009 - Silver Creek..2010- Southern Dunes..2014 Calabay Park..2016 Oak Island Harbor.. 2017 Highlands Reserve.. 2018 Oak Island Harbor
kissimmee kate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
TartanTink
VIP Dibber

I have donated our old toys to a women’s refuge where kids may have left in a hurry and not taken much with them , I thought that was more useful than sitting in my attic

Edited at 11:41 PM.
TartanTink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 02:08 AM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I sold and donated quite a few toys before Xmas as my kids have so many and I felt like they were taking over, I used eBay and Facebook marketplace to sell and the money has gone into the kids' savings accounts
I'm planning to keep a small selection for future grandchildren (mostly books) but I don't want to go overboard. My mum kept loads of mine and my sister's toys and though some have been nice for my kids to play with (fisher price dolls house, sylvanians, duplo) other things just seem a bit naff now and would probably have been better passed on to someone else years ago rather than sat in a loft.

Edited at 02:13 AM.
LizzyBear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 02:21 AM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Please don’t give anything away without consulting your kids! My mum gave lots of my old things away when I was a teenager and I was devasted. My parents might have been the ones to pay for them but they were the first things that were really “mine” and I was very upset not to have had a say in what happened to them- even the junk! If you need the space then give your kids a time limit to decide what has to go. It’s always useful to have extra money but you/they should think carefully about what you sell...there’s a huge market for “retro” toys and I’m certain it’s for sentimal reasons!
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

If you are saving toys for grandchildren, remember that safety standards are higher nowadays, kids will not be used to playing with dolls that have great big spikes holding the eyes in (cheers mother!). Paint standards have changed, small parts standards have changed etc etc. Stuff perishes, mould thrives (tiny tears should not have red/brown tears) etc...

I know "we survived" (mostly) but take care.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List