Day Two - Magic Kingdom
Day Three - Rest & MK
Day Four - Epcot & DTD
Day Five - Celebration & DHS
Day Six - Golf and Epcot with Dibbers
Day Seven - Typhoon Lagoon
Day Eight - Animal Kingdom

Day Nine - Monday 27th August

One the days following a holiday such as this, I often find myself stood on the bathroom scales wondering how it has been possible to gain that much weight in a short space of time. I had salads and everything, so surely these scales have been damaged whilst I have been away?

Then, when consulting my trip report notes as I just have done, I give a “fair enough” shrug of acknowledgement and make no more of it. All will become clear shortly.

Today was rain day. We knew it was coming, more or less to the minute thanks to Channel 13, so we were not fazed. Our plans for the day reflected the poor weather, and to start the day we were going to do something that you simply cannot do should you be heading for any flavour of theme park. A Denny’s breakfast!

We took our time getting ready this morning, and at around 10.30 we boarded the fun bus and set off for the 192. It was proper pouring down, and having spent a chunk of time preparing “the do” Louise resorted to any means available to preserve it on that long walk (about six strides) to the car.

I did not feel the need for any such precautions.

We soon came upon Dennys and parked up. Apparently half of Orlando had the same idea and we joined a long queue of folks waiting for a table. It was around twenty minutes before we were seated.

It very quickly became apparent that the family at the table behind us were going to be trouble. One of their spawn was clearly straight out of the devil’s womb, and he was making theirs and in turn, our lives (well, meals) a misery.

We tried to ignore him and ordered some drinks from a very busy and stressed server.

Emily had a chocolate milkshake.

The rest of us had a smoothie, which is what happens when you eat all this rich food apparently. We also had a fruit based drink.

The wait to order was too long, as we are all starving at this point. This may have been the longest gap between food since we left the UK, and it was showing.

Damien behind us was going the right way for a fork to be launched at his annoying head. The noise, nuisance and aggravation was growing, and when all else failed, they decided to strap him into his seat with his Dad’s belt!

Fearing that we may die from starvation we order big when the time comes.

Emily and Rebecca – Double Cheeseburger

Louise – Ultimate Omelette

Me – I just ordered a small breakfast….see…..

Oh, and then the second plate arrived.

So yes Mr Scales. Fair enough, let no more be said!

As is usually the case in a Dennys, the place is full of Brits. Usually we are pretty easy to spot, and across the way we saw a pretty typical group but then one of their party stood up to stretch his polyester, and we were aghast at the Gangsta-ness of him.

I think he was from the renowned mean streets of the Hood, in Huddersfield. Seriously mate, have a word with yourself.

The bill was a very palatable $51 plus tip. It was after 12 when we finally left, feeling better for it and once again swearing never to eat again.

The Florida Mall was the destination today, along with the entire Western world. We parked in Alabama, and battled our way towards the food court. Don’t worry, even I can’t get hungry again that quickly. The food court is right next to –

On the way we bumped into a Dibber, Nikki, who recognised me, Ryan, the girls, Louise…any and/or all of the above. We managed a brief chat whilst simultaneously trying to avoid being crushed under foot by the hordes desperate to search out a big neb. What else do you go to the Florida Mall for?

The food court was like a battle scene from Game of Thrones. There were small tribes everywhere, sat on the floor scooping food off plates into their mouths, occasionally snarling at anyone daring to try to pinch an inch of their claimed space. We picked our way carefully between, around and over them to reach our Holy Grail of Hot Topic.

The girls picked out the usual array of obtuse band T shirts, and browsed for a while. One T shirt that Emily had to have was not available in her size. Apparently though, as Sean explained to me, we could order it in and pick it up in a few days.

Who is Sean? Well, he was the pierced, tattooed yoof, who walked me through the ordering process via their web site like I was his Granddad. He simply could not comprehend that someone of my advanced years even had an email address, never mind the ability to find and order a T shirt from an electronic device without the aid of someone under 25.

When we were done, he shook my hand as some form of respect and recognition for my abilities to use the internets.

The rest of the afternoon was just a blur of shops, card swiping and tired legs. I did make note that Louise spent an hour choosing a new bra, which involved being measured by a “professional” and then “helped into” said bra. Thankfully I was sat outside playing games on my phone, as my mind would have been boggled beyond belief.

The girls shared my delight whilst waiting.

Oh yes, and the bra cost $60. That’s $30 each!

In the end, the girls left with various numbers of jeans, T shirts and shoes. Louise had THAT bra and a new handbag…cos she needed one, as none of the 23 others in her collection matched the exact needs for which this one had been purchased.

I had bought three shirts….for work.

By 4.30 I convinced everyone that we’d had enough and we left. With the rain still pouring, we headed for Downtown Disney, which is almost the same as Downton Abbey but with a few more adverts, fewer stiff upper lips and more variety in storyline.

The plan was to watch a film, but the one we wanted did not start until 7pm, so we killed some time with a drink at the House of Blues.

We watched this bloke do some singing. Yes, him in the backwards cap and sweaty blue T shirt. That’s showbiz.

I just noticed Louise sneaking into that shot!

The bra episode had clearly taken it out of Rebecca.

Next, with still about an hour to kill we went into Disney Quest.

We headed for Rebecca’s favourite, Space Mountain, and left Emily and Louise to wait for us whilst we “popped on”.

An hour later we finally boarded our pod, quickly rode then went to collect a slightly grumpy Louise and Emily, and run off to the cinema as the film was about to start.

I ran up to the AMC to get the tickets and then waited for the others to catch up.

Ted was our choice, and I felt that I could just sneak in some popcorn as it was now many, many hours since I last ate anything. Rebecca had some “sour things”, and Louise and Emily said they didn’t want anything and then ate half of my popcorn. I was delighted.

We loved Ted. It dallied very close to the knuckle, but we laughed a lot.

We left the AMC at 9, and now absolutely needed food, and Louise’s “suggestion” was that we went to the Outback. So we did.

Continued...

Edited at 01:23 PM.
mkingdon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 12, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
We ordered –

Louise – Steak and mushroom thing

Rebecca – A blurred Chicken sandwich (she was hungry)

That’s better.

Emily – BBQ Chicken

Me – Californian Chicken Salad

Louise had a couple of wines and it all came to $80 + tip.
We’d avoided the rain all day, and the shopping had tired us out so we headed home at 10.30ish and were all in bed by 11.

Tomorrow – Hollywood Studios
Old 10 Oct 12, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post

laughing at your denny photos - can imagine you trying to sneakily take them!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 12, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Great day, I think form now on DTD will be know as Downton in our house. Brilliant
We were at Epcot on this day and it was wet!
Old 10 Oct 12, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Fab day.

Love the Gangsta pic - wonder if he's a dibber ?

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 12, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
wizzo
Childish Halfwit

wizzo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by mkingdon View Post

I just noticed Louise sneaking into that shot!
She's gonna love you for that one!

You'll never learn! Add a smiley photo to compensate afterwards

Great Day... Ta!

2023 Trip Report - COMPLETE HERE

My old trip reports are all HERE

wizzo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 12, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Ariel's Mum View Post
Fab day.

Love the Gangsta pic - wonder if he's a dibber ?
I was slightly concerned about that
Old 10 Oct 12, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney
Imagineer

Brilliant day. thought you were joking about the boy being strapped in by the belt until I had another look at the picture
lovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 12, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by lovedisney View Post
Brilliant day. thought you were joking about the boy being strapped in by the belt until I had another look at the picture
Yep. Personally I'd have applied round his neck.
Old 10 Oct 12, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm sure we sat next to your "Denny's gangster" on the flight back to Manchester a day or two later!

I think he said they had been at a family wedding though it wasn't clear if the tracksuit was part of the dress code.
Closed Thread