Go Back   theDIBB > Disney Vacation Club > General DVC Discussion
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.
Orlando Package Depot
Unread 14 Mar 19, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
VIP Dibber

'Swapping' DVC points

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced swapping DVC points? It's something I read on 'the other' forum.

Apparently some DVC owners find another member who owns at the resort they want to book and vice versa. They book for each other using the same amount of points (in most cases) the resort that they want at 11 months, and simply put it in the other person's name.

I'm surprised I've not heard of this before?
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Disneyland California
Unread 14 Mar 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Sure, Ive heard of that but have never managed to make it work (number of points required never matched well). I think I first tried to do it ten years or so ago?
Unread 14 Mar 19, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Sure, Ive heard of that but have never managed to make it work (number of points required never matched well). I think I first tried to do it ten years or so ago?
Maybe that's why i've never heard of it if it's difficult to do!
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Disneyland California
Unread 14 Mar 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
Maybe that's why i've never heard of it if it's difficult to do!
I think I wouldn't like not being able to access my own booking. There is nothing stopping the other member cancelling their booking and getting the points back if they took their trip on your points first. I remember on here a couple of years ago there was a member who took lots of bookings and then cancelled at the last minute and left people chasing around trying to find out what had happened.

I think I have worked with the public so long that I have learnt that not everyone is as they seem and unless it was someone I actually knew I wouldn't be tempted.
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Only 3 nights but it's still WDW!
Unread 14 Mar 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bella1 View Post
I think I wouldn't like not being able to access my own booking. There is nothing stopping the other member cancelling their booking and getting the points back if they took their trip on your points first. I remember on here a couple of years ago there was a member who took lots of bookings and then cancelled at the last minute and left people chasing around trying to find out what had happened.

I think I have worked with the public so long that I have learnt that not everyone is as they seem and unless it was someone I actually knew I wouldn't be tempted.
I hadn't really thought of that because you would have the members details (via MDE) and could report them to member services? Every booking ref is linked to the bookers DVC account.
Disneyland California
Unread 14 Mar 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
I hadn't really thought of that because you would have the members details (via MDE) and could report them to member services? Every booking ref is linked to the bookers DVC account.
Yes but the booking belongs to the member who makes it no matter who might be staying. Member Services wouldn't get involved.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First ever xmas trip
Unread 14 Mar 19, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Hollie04
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bella1 View Post
He defaulted on payments and Disney took his points back. I dont know if thats better or worse than deliberately cancelling the reservation. I guess its the same risk as privately renting though because you would be paying cash so theres no buyer protection.
Hollie04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by Hollie04 View Post
He defaulted on payments and Disney took his points back. I dont know if thats better or worse than deliberately cancelling the reservation. I guess its the same risk as privately renting though because you would be paying cash so theres no buyer protection.
That was it, I couldn't remember exactly what happened but he did know ths reservations had been cancelled but he didn't let people know. The riskd are exactly like private rental which is why I wouldn't want to "swap". I own where I want to stay so if I can't swap at 7 months I am still happy,
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Only 3 nights but it's still WDW!
Attraction Tickets Direct