Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 30 Dec 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
The 1200 Mile West Coast Adventure - Day 13: The best sandwich we’ve ever eaten!

Day 13: The best sandwich we’ve ever eaten!
Saturday 1 September 2018

Dole whips for breakfast, Mickey beignets, Cafe Orleans, Hotel and pool time and cocktails in DCA!

Index

The plan today was to visit both parks again. We got up early and went straight to Disneyland. We were planning on snackin’ our way through the day as there were still so many wonderful things we wanted to try. We went straight to the dole whip stand and one to share for breakfast… because… why not?

In the queue two guys spotted Andy's Disney tattoos and got chatting and called their girlfriends over to see. They couldn't get over the dole whip one

We went for a stroll around New Orleans Square

We wanted to try the famous Mickey Beignets and a Mint Julep at the Mint Julep Bar

To be honest… the mint julep was vile but I drank it anyway as Andy and the girls had all said not to get it as it sounded gross but I insisted I wanted us to try it. Turns out they were right but I didn’t want to admit defeat and pretended it was OK…

The beignets on the other hand were the nuts! Pillowy soft and fresh with just the right amount of powdered sugar

After the second snack of the day we caught the train for a round trip around the whole park (although we probably should've used our legs and burned off some cals!)

I love the Dinosaur section, I wasn’t expecting to see this!

After our tour we stopped for snack numero 3!

A Pixar Fest special - Carrot cake churro with cream cheese dip

This was really nice and so clever as it really did taste like carrot cake in churro form.

We spent some time exploring the park looking for Mickey’s Toon Town, we got a bit lost and had to get a CM to help us find our way but it was lovely just wandering round and discovering new things

Quick change over of our fuel rod!

We found it!

We booked a fastpass for Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin, which otherwise would have had a 55 minute wait.

This ride was so weird…

I’m glad we got to experience it though…

Outside the ride there was a funny interactive area - it was a good way to spend ten minutes and it was funny seeing other people’s reactions to the surprises!

We walked back round to Fantasyland to try and queue for Mr Toad’s Wild Ride as it had been too busy the day before. It was only a fifteen minute wait so we decided to wait for it

We loved this ride, it was adorable and the girls loved sitting together and ‘steering’

We had a go at Sword in the Stone but weren’t lucky this time

We had a lunch reservation at Cafe Orleans, back in New Orleans Square so on the way back we explored inside Sleeping Beauty Castle

This little area was so cute!

As we came out a band was just walking through about to start. We watched them as they marched through the castle

By the time we got to the restaurant to check in, there was a crowd of people near the check in desk. A lot of people were trying to get walk up reservations and were being turned away as they were fully booked.

I was so glad we had a reservation. This restaurant had earned a cult status from all of the food blogs about the famous Monte Cristo and Pomme Frites, in particular AJ from Disney Food Blog who was always singing their praises. I KNEW we just HAD to try it. Andy took some convincing but eventually agreed to give it a go.

For those of you who haven’t heard of it, the Monte Cristo is Sliced Turkey, Ham, and Swiss fried in a light batter, dusted with Powdered Sugar, and served with a Berry Purée, it sounds odd but bear with me… (They also do a cheese only vegetarian version)

The Pommes Frites are traditional French Fried Potatoes tossed with Parmesan, Garlic, and Parsley served with Cajun Spice Rémoulade

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 09:16 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
We were seated shortly after checking in in a lovely shaded spot in the outside seating area.

We ordered the girls a 'Chef's Beef Specialty' each - Seared Steak served with Popcorn Rice, Seasonal Vegetables and Fruit, as they didn’t like the sound of the Monte Cristo. They love steak and usually have it medium rare, however they recommended medium well for this dish so we went with the recommendation and they said it was very tender and tasty.

We also ordered one Monte Cristo to share and two portions of Pomme Frittes. I was worried we would look like cheap skates only ordering one Monte Cristo to share but it turned out it was the norm as they are so big! In fact we shouldn't have got two fries as it was too much - they were huge!

The Monte Cristo was just so ridiculously tasty - it was sweet and salty with great texture and mouthfeel. Everything you could want in a sandwich. The best we've ever had! Andy even agreed!

The pomme frites were next level good. All four of us were obsessed with them and the amazing remoulade they came with. They were the best fries we'd ever had too. You know when you just don't want a meal to end because it's THAT GOOD? Well, go here! Unfortunately we were too full to finish the fries and felt really sad our stomach's had let us down

Our total was $61.42 plus tip, which we thought was great. In hindsight we should’ve definitely got one lot of fries between the four of us though, which would have made it even more of a barg.

The park was starting to get ridiculously busy, it was like a sea of ants everywhere you looked. You could certainly notice the difference between weekend and weekday crowds.

We fancied another evening in DCA and we needed to escape the heat and the crowds so fought our way through to the front of the park and back to the safe haven of our hotel.

It was scorching hot and the perfect time to kick back and enjoy the California sun at our hotel’s waterpark. After a quick shower and change we were poolside

After some waterpark fun we went back to our room and the girls had a little lunchable snack they picked up in the hotel shop on the way, whilst we got ready to go back to the park.

The good thing about MaxPass is that because we went to the park in the morning, we could continue to make fast pass selections at the hotel, so we booked another go on Guardians.

We walked back to DCA and made our way to Guardians for the third time!

After the ride we decided to try a cocktail.

We went for a Spider Venom and an Infini-Tea, a rum based tropical cocktail and a twist on a long island iced tea, both with souvenir glow cubes.

The girls had some goofy worms while we chilled out for a while. Then they had a pic in front of Boo’s door.

We were on the lookout for a quick bite to eat and decided on Cocina Cucamonga to get some Mexican food. I’m not really sure why we ended up here as it wasn’t on our plan but perhaps it was the least busy place and that won…

We had nachos to share - the dip was sooooo spicy!

Carne tacos and chicken tacos with black beans and cilantro rice for us to share

While we ate, we managed to book Soarin’ on the app to replace the one we missed out on when the ride went down the other day.

The food here was pretty average but the pineapple margarita was good

We walked back to Soarin’

We were thrilled to finally be riding Soarin’ we waited for B1 and it was so worth it

We got a sneaky night time fast pass for Radiator Springs Racers again as we had loved riding it at night so much last time.

There was some great water art going on outside

Adorable Snowman Frosted Treats had a pretty small queue (in comparison to the other days!) so we picked up a Frosty Parfait. It was really zingy and refreshing (lemon dole whip with blue raspberry slushy) but not as good as a pineapple dole whip IMHO.

The Incredicoaster had been down most of the day again but was back open that evening. Unfortunately there were no fast passes available and there was now a 90 minute queue. We decided not to queue and instead go on the Pixar-Pal-Around

It was so pretty here at night. We decided on a non-swinging pod as they seemed to move a LOT!

We were the second from last pod of the night and had just got on before they closed. The views were stunning from up there.

Pixar ball!

Great Halloween theming!

We walked back to our hotel for a well-earned rest after another fun-filled day!

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 12:22 AM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jengibbo
Excited about Disney

Loving your report. We are headed to California in April so I’m getting some great tips. Would you recommend a Maxpass. W have 3 days in the parks.

Jennifer
jengibbo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Great day, the night time views are incredible. I remember loving the pomme frites too, and that the monte Cristo was enormous
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 18, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

The Monte Cristo looks amazing and the fries sound fab. 😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Some great sounding snacks there!
Reading this is making me hungry!
Lovely photo of you all in radiator springs
Old 9 Jan 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Another brilliant day! Thanks for sharing.
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
slow.jo
Very Serious Dibber

Your lunch looks soooooo good.

Amazing day again!

We're booked for California now for October, and Disneyland for a few days so I'm picking up lots of tips!

Jo xx

Stewboy's Trip Reports
slow.jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I'm not entirely convinced about the Monte Cristo sandwich but I'm willing to be proven wrong! Another great day

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The Monte Cristo was just so ridiculously tasty - it was sweet and salty with great texture and mouthfeel. Everything you could want in a sandwich. The best we've ever had! Andy even agreed!

That sounds amazing but mouthfeel i had to read that carefully a few times!

Another fab day, making me think about suggesting a return to DL to DH as it's been a few years!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List