Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 6 Jan 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
SeasideMM
Earning More Ears

Mobile Disability pass Disney

Am in a bit of a state at the moment. I have ulcerative colitis and currently in the middle of a bad flare. We are going to Animal Kingdom in March and I am a bit worried about the queuing. I am hoping that I am better then than I am now, but even at my best I often need the toilet very suddenly with no warning- particularly if I am anxious or have just eaten/drunk anything.
I am feeling increasingly anxious that my whole 2 week holiday (and that of my husband and kids) will be spent running in and out of the queues and not managing to go on many rides.
Does anyone have any experience of using the pass and would it be something which would be helpful to ask about when we get there?
I was so excited about the holiday and now am feeling more and more depressed that I may not be able to cope. Thanks all!
SeasideMM is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachie76
Proud to wear my Ears

We used the pass last August as both Nephews have Autism along with a number of non-visible disabilities.

Just pop along to guest services in one of the parks on your 1st day and explain what your needs are.

The cast member we spoke to was great and very understanding. It helps if you can clearly explain why you need assistance (symptom) rather than just saying what condition you have.

There’s a great overview of the pass here wdpromedia.disney.go/med...2015-04-30.pdf
Rachie76 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SeasideMM View Post
Am in a bit of a state at the moment. I have ulcerative colitis and currently in the middle of a bad flare. We are going to Animal Kingdom in March and I am a bit worried about the queuing. I am hoping that I am better then than I am now, but even at my best I often need the toilet very suddenly with no warning- particularly if I am anxious or have just eaten/drunk anything.
I am feeling increasingly anxious that my whole 2 week holiday (and that of my husband and kids) will be spent running in and out of the queues and not managing to go on many rides.
Does anyone have any experience of using the pass and would it be something which would be helpful to ask about when we get there?
I was so excited about the holiday and now am feeling more and more depressed that I may not be able to cope. Thanks all!

Sympathise, I have Crohn’s disease, but fear not you can obtain a DAS pass

disneyparks.disney.go/bl...rd-fact-sheet/

I haven’t used this one but the old version and it’s essy, no fears enjoy
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I don't use the pass myself, but have seen a few threads on UC on forums. You should qualify for DAS, but you will need to go to guest services once at your first park and ask for one. They will ask you to explain why waiting in lines would be difficult, as this is the main requirement for DAS, rather than specific disabilities.

Although keep in mind some ride experiences are quite long, even with DAS or a FP, with no easy/quick way to exit once you enter. So you will need to be prepared for that. FOP is one example because of the pre shows and loading times, it can take up to 45 minutes to get through even without a queue.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I don't use the pass myself, but have seen a few threads on UC on forums. You should qualify for DAS, but you will need to go to guest services once at your first park and ask for one. They will ask you to explain why waiting in lines would be difficult, as this is the main requirement for DAS, rather than specific disabilities.

Although keep in mind some ride experiences are quite long, even with DAS or a FP, with no easy/quick way to exit once you enter. So you will need to be prepared for that. FOP is one example because of the pre shows and loading times, it can take up to 45 minutes to get through even without a queue.
Totally agree, however if an emergency arises you can at least leave and start the process again from another set time, which I’ve had to do many a time.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I used the DAS pass in August and I’m so glad I had it. I have a heart condition which means I have terrible circulation and I can’t use a wheelchair because I need to be moving or my legs/ankles swell which means I struggle to walk & also it makes me exhausted. I went to city hall at MK one morning & spoke to the CM’s there who were very understanding and added it to our tickets with no problems.

You will get given return times for the rides, but you can’t use it more than once at a time. So if you have a return time for 12 for Splash Mountain you can’t then go and get another return time for Big Thunder, you can only get another one once you have used the original, if that makes sense. You can go off and ride other rides/use normal fast passes etc. In AK we used it for FOP and we’re given a return time for 1.30ish, so we went off to use our fast passes and have some lunch, then came back to ride it. I think we were in the queue for about 20 mins. So you don’t just walk onto rides, especially the likes of FOP which has massive wait times so bare that in mind when getting in the queue. However the benefit of this is that if you needed to leave the queue, you can and you can get another return time so all is not lost.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
wildwood
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I am very nervous about this I have to ask for one when we fo in March for the first time and worries they will say no or look at me like I am lying . I have battled cancer and have been left when fibromyalgia and some times I can't walk ten feet which obviously causes me great problems standing for even short periods so I am going to have to try and be brave and asked at guest services .
wildwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
I am very nervous about this I have to ask for one when we fo in March for the first time and worries they will say no or look at me like I am lying . I have battled cancer and have been left when fibromyalgia and some times I can't walk ten feet which obviously causes me great problems standing for even short periods so I am going to have to try and be brave and asked at guest services .
Honestly, don’t be worried. They are very nice in there & there is no judgement from them. They are all too aware of people with invisible disabilities. No one would know I have any problems, I look fine, I walk fine, I sound fine. But inside my heart beats at only 37% functionality and I’m exhausted 99% of the time. You’re still entitled to enjoy your holiday to the max so please don’t worry about asking xxx

Edited at 02:41 PM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
SeasideMM
Earning More Ears

Mobile

I have the same worried about asking, mainly as I don’t want to be seen by others as “cheating the system”- how does it work in practice once you have the pass on the magic band? Do you have to let every cast member on the queue know what is wrong with you?
SeasideMM is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
champagnegirl26
Imagineer

champagnegirl26's Reviews
Originally Posted by SeasideMM View Post
I have the same worried about asking, mainly as I don’t want to be seen by others as “cheating the system”- how does it work in practice once you have the pass on the magic band? Do you have to let every cast member on the queue know what is wrong with you?
l

No once you the pass attached to your ticket or band you will not be questioned about it by any other cast members.

June 2007 Masters Inn hotel Kissimmee
June 2008 Disney resort tour
May2009 Oak plantation villas
May 2010 Pop century
May 2014 Dibb villa
Aug 2016 Dibb villa
May 2018 Dibb villa
May 2019 Cumbrian lakes villa.
champagnegirl26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List