Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 5 Feb 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
duckfan
Getting Excited

Queuing for scooter users

Hi all

Having never needed to give it thought before, my mum is joining us when we travel to Disney next year.

She isn't very mobile but can walk short distances so we're looking to rent an ecv while there. I understand mobility doesn't qualify for the DAS but in terms of queues which she definitely wouldn't be able to handle, from what I've read she would just need to approach a cast member to get a return time? Does it sync in with mde for the whole party and then is it a case of scanning magic bands when we return?

I'm trying to picture various rides and while she'd be able to queue for very short periods, I don't know how that would play out over a day, or even an extended holiday.

Does she need to show up at the ride still on said ecv to prove it or do they take her at word?

TIA
duckfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Asking a cast member for a return time is DAS. When we went in August we hired a scooter for my wife who was waiting for a total knee replacement.

The direction we took was to ask the first CM we encountered on each ride where the wheelchair entrance is. They will then (usually) ask if the family member can transfer to a wheelchair, once they have transferred to a wheelchair the CM will direct you how to proceed on that ride (sometimes you just go through the normal queue, sometimes you shortcut the normal queue and sometimes you just use a completely separate entrance).

You can also adopt this approach on the rides you have FP's for.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
duckfan
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thanks for your reply. I was basing my question on the following which is on the stickies and I've seen elsewhere

• Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?
No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.

So is it a case that it's exactly the same system but as the wheelchair is 'obvious' so the card isn't required?

I suppose my thought is that I can imagine say the scooter being parked up for a meal and then we could walk to an adjacent ride, but that would be about it.
duckfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 19, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
yorks_disney13
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

My mum used a scooter on our 2017 trip. Most rides she drove the scooter through the queue up to the near the loading area where the CM would then move it to the ride exit (her scooter was a compact one though, the big Disney ones might not fit most queuing systems)

Some rides required her to transfer to a wheelchair, there are specific wheelchair zones by the ride entrance to leave the scooter and take a wheelchair.

Very occasionally we were taken through a different route so missed the main queue, but I can't remember which ones!
Remember as well that some shows and parades have special viewing areas too.

The best plan is to head to guest relations in each park when you arrive and they will give you all the info you need. Also helped point out charging ≈≈≈≈ too! As Raggyavn said above, just ask the CM at the start of the queue and they'll direct you accordingly.
yorks_disney13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 19, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Just to add for some rides only a special ride vehicle is used so although you get to a shorter queue you wait quite a while for a ride, this happened to us on Toy Story Mania, as you have to wit for the vehicle to do the whole ride before coming back.
Old 9 Feb 19, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

BTMR is a quick queue, you go straight onto the loading dock from the sunshine)

Small world you go into the off entrance and special boats (if you can’t transfer).

Kali River rapids was also a special loading dock.

The Jungle cruise ride is a special boat.

Don’t leave anything on the wheelchair if you transfer onto the actual ride (even though it is very tempting and left under the noses of the CM’s). We exited one ride to find our Disney wheel had been taken by another guest and they had left behind their far more expensive wheelchair, luckily we had put our stuff in the lockers at the entrance.

Edited at 12:48 AM.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 19, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by duckfan View Post
Thanks for your reply. I was basing my question on the following which is on the stickies and I've seen elsewhere

• Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?
No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.

So is it a case that it's exactly the same system but as the wheelchair is 'obvious' so the card isn't required?

I suppose my thought is that I can imagine say the scooter being parked up for a meal and then we could walk to an adjacent ride, but that would be about it.
As far as I’m aware Disney don’t do DAS for mobility issues, they require that you join the normal queue and either retain your scooter (ECV) or transfer to a (provided) wheel chair to go through the standby (or FP line if you have them) and then either transfer onto the ride or ride in a special vehicle if you can’t transfer (and the ride has a special vehicle). However the reality is that wheelchairs cannot get through all the standby queues so where this is the case, you use a different entrance.

We had a ECV due to my wife’s knee injury (which was placed onto our magic bands) and a DAS due to her sometimes needing the rest room at short notice.

If you go down the DAS route. After you have been accepted for DAS at guest services, no CM will ever question your disability. For example on the (4) occasions we actually used DAS (as opposed to FP and disabled entrances) we sent our DGD to get our return time, when we returned to ride no one questioned why we using a DAS even though my wife was using a ECV which the CM’s know doesn’t warrant a DAS in itself.

The only stipulation is that when you actually ride the holder of the DAS must enter the ride with you.

Edited at 12:46 AM.