Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 24 Apr 17, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

For those that bought their DVC direct with Disney

What prompted you to spend the extra money and go direct rather than doing the re-sale route?

It's something we are very much considering for the future but I want to do as much research on it as possible now.
Old 24 Apr 17, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We wanted BLT and it hadn't opened at the time. There was also a hefty discount due to being one of the first to buy in and we got an additional years worth of points. We may have been able to get a contract resale cheaper, but not for our hotel and not for the full 50 years which suited us. It's probably cost us £12000 for 50 years worth of top accommodation and we have used it in 2010, 2011, 2012 (went with dB and dsil so only used dvc for part of the trip) 2014, 2016 and are going in 2017 x
Niki T is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I think the question should really be what prompted you to go resale. Essentially the huge savings (half price). Most UK visitors would not earn anything like the premium it costs to buy direct in perks. BLT above is now a good example, about 110 on the resale market think it's now 180+ direct. A lot of people on here bought direct when it was a lot cheaper and the resale market was not so advanced.

Edited at 12:45 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We bought BCV direct in 2003. resale market was not so well established plus there was a $10 incentive pp for over 150.

In 2012 we bought a VGC contract direct as small contracts on the resale market were rarer than hen's teeth

Our latest purchase of BLT points earlier this year was resale. A no brainer due to price difference and that we already qualify for any perks

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Thank you all. It certainly is something that's going to keep me busy with research for a while to come. I may do the tour when I'm there next year to get more information also.
Old 24 Apr 17, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post

To be honest, it was because we joined up while we were out there and didn't know the resale market was there, or how much cheaper it can be. We've only got 100pts at Poly so it's not *too* bad, but when (not if!) we add on eventually it'll definitely be via resale.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

When we bought in 2003 and in 2008 the difference between resale and direct was really small, and it removed a small element of legal and cash conversion costs we would have had to pay via resale. I can't remember now but I think it was only a few hundred dollars' difference.

Now, the difference is so big I would not even contemplate a direct purchase.
Old 24 Apr 17, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by Niki T View Post
We wanted BLT and it hadn't opened at the time. There was also a hefty discount due to being one of the first to buy in and we got an additional years worth of points. We may have been able to get a contract resale cheaper, but not for our hotel and not for the full 50 years which suited us...x
Same with us although we'd already bought resale at OKW.
Old 24 Apr 17, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loola30 View Post
Thank you all. It certainly is something that's going to keep me busy with research for a while to come. I may do the tour when I'm there next year to get more information also.
Great approach. I spent 8 months researching before buying. I eventually bought a fully loaded SSR contract at 75 a point with all last years points banked. Think about when you go and what type of room you will have. If you go off DVC season (2nd week Jan to end Sept save for public holidays and times like Spring break) you can get a 1 bed anywhere generally bang on 7 months. This is why I bought SSR- don't mind (love) staying there anyway but I can generally book anywhere when I go. I could have stayed in Poly, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom etc this August. SSR is consistently the cheapest place to own with the sweet spot in terms of buy in cost, dues and contract length. But if you'll be wanting Christmas in Beach Club every year, you'd better buy there. Really think about your intended usage pattern. DVCINFO is a good site for well researched articles.

Edited at 02:16 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Loola we didn't buy direct but very nearly did & had we signed up whilst on holiday that would have been the case. at the time it was AKV that was onsale $98/point & minimum buy in was 160. We done the tour etc but decided to think about it, by the time we returned home we heard about Resale & looked into that, we ended up deciding on a 175 SSR contract at $67.50/point so basically more points for less money. We are now looking at adding on & again looking at Direct but on a 100 point contract, at SSR for example, Direct is £13500 & resale is £6500 - no brainer!
Niki T I'm sure that you are getting your money's worth but don't forget to add in 50 years worth of dues as well
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List