Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Apr 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Absolutely agree with this! DB have you though of running in the next election? 👍🏻😜
Well judging by the reaction last week I'd need bodyguards 😂😂

I find it bizarre people can claim enough money and save it to pay for luxury holidays .

Edited at 11:34 PM.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post

I find it bizarre people can claim enough money and save it to pay for luxury holidays .

There was one person who's spending not far off a 5 figure sum on a trip onsite dining , Disney cruise yet claims £100s a month in tax credits .. the mind boggles !
That's where the whole system is wrong unfortunately.
There are probably more people that agree with you than they care to admit.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post

There was one person who's spending not far off a 5 figure sum on a trip onsite dining , Disney cruise yet claims £100s a month in tax credits .. the mind boggles !
Why do people say they claim this that and the other and then say they go on fancy holidays or have a nice car, mobile phone etc etc ... is it true or are they just looking for the rise when decent hard working people get annoyed by it? I mean in general I haven't seen that thread but I wish I had it sounds like it was pretty lively 😂😂
Now don't get me wrong benefits do work and do serve a purpose years back when I was a single parent I couldn't have worked part time and supported my daughter and kept the roof over our head and food in our bellies without it... I was grateful of it but even then if didn't get us the luxuries in life that some people you usually see on those sort of programs had.
Things are different now though and I appreciate the fact my OH works damn hard so we can have a nice holiday... but like I said at start of this thread yep if we had £70,000 in wages coming in is still think we were rich 😉
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
I suspect that most people who think they " get by ok" can't afford a DVC at AKL
good point maybe not just getting by, but DVC isn't as dear as paying out of pocket every couple of years

but as another poster said i worked hard at Uni, got a professional qualification, put a lot of hours in and worked my way up. i have had to work abroad without my family to get where i am.

I'd still say that to be rich you do not need to watch what you spend and you can just go and buy what you want, when you want it. we certainly don't do that...
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

It is hard though for some people to think of those on £70K - take home roughly £4000 a month - in the top 5% of earners in this country - as NOT being rich.

The 95% of earners who earn less, for instance. The average take home wage is less than half at £1800 a month. And most people on the average wage are not poor...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
I don't think we should dictate how benefits are spent. I'd be more concerned if those in debt were taking expensive holidays.

If people aren't entitled to the benefits then that's fraud and is obviously wrong.
So you are happy subsidising other peoples holidays through your tax?

I am happy to help those that need it, but a holiday to Florida is a luxury not a right! It's like the people who expect villa owners to give them a deal as they can't afford to spend much on accommodation, why would you even think of that? Try it with Virgin or Disney see where that gets you.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Why do people say they claim this that and the other and then say they go on fancy holidays or have a nice car, mobile phone etc etc ...
Some people only seem to come in here to boast anyway, so common darling!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
It is hard though for some people to think of those on £70K - take home roughly £4000 a month - in the top 5% of earners in this country - as NOT being rich.

The 95% of earners who earn less, for instance. The average take home wage is less than half at £1800 a month. And most people on the average wage are not poor...
That £1800 wouldn't let you rent a family sized house around here. Housing prices around the country have a huge effect on how much money you need to earn to be "rich".
Old 24 Apr 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Some people only seem to come in here to boast anyway, so common darling!
Hmmmm... it's not a nice quality ... I know a few people that like to brag and me and OH always laugh when's. on our own and say they are like that Harry Enfield character who was always saying " I'm considerably richer than you "... luckily I'm not a jealous person otherwise I'd be slashing my wrists after reading some folks holiday plans on here 😂😂
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post

We live 20 miles outside of the city of London with a combined salary close to £90k and I would say we are very comfortable but only after getting on the property ladder 2 years ago in a house big enough to start a family! !I wouldn’t state anyone as rich until they have saved for their first house especially near London and then see how they are after.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List