Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

New York, New York - May/June 2016 - Day 3 - Statue of Liberty

New York, New York
Monday 30th May
Day 3 - Statue of Liberty

Previous: Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour

This morning our plan had been to do the Empire State Building. Unfortunately, however, when we woke up the weather was a bit drizzly and damp and not the gorgeous clear blue skies we’d had yesterday. We decided we’d still catch the open top bus down to the ESB though and see what we thought.

Cool staircase down from our apartment (we caught the lift though)!

We were a bit more successful with breakfast this morning. On the way back to our apartment last night we noticed that the pizza place next door actually served breakfast in a morning and so that’s where we went. We had great breakfast bagels and coffee. Izzy wasn’t keen on the bagels though so ended up with a chocolate muffin which wasn’t the healthiest of options but she was quite happy!

By 8:30am we were back in Times Square on the first Downtown Loop bus of the day.

Unfortunately, when we go to the Empire State Building you couldn’t even see the top of it. Not a lot of point going up there today then! So after a quick re-evaluation of our plans we decided to ditch the Empire State Building for today and stayed on the bus and carried on back down to Battery Park where we were going to the Statue of Liberty instead. We figured it wasn’t as tall as a skyscraper and so there was less chance of it being hidden in cloud!

It was a lot quieter in this area than it had been yesterday but I guess we were now mid-week and not a weekend. That and it was still quite early.

We bought the tickets then decided to have a toilet break before getting in the queue. This was the only time I felt uneasy the entire time we were in New York. The sign on toilet door didn’t bode well for starters.

Anyway without too much detail when I go to the toilet with my daughters we all use a separate cubicle (generally in a line) and whoever is first out then puts their foot under the door of another one of our cubicles so that we know they’re still there. Well the girls finished before me and were stood with their foot under the door when a very out of it lady came in. She was clearly totally off her face on something and was shouting a rambling and I really didn’t want her to approach the girls. I told them to go outside and wait for Daddy. Normally I would never tell them to leave the toilets without me but on this occasion I felt it was the safest option. It was the only time I felt nervous whilst we were in New York but I guess it could happen anywhere. From then on we used disabled toilets whenever we could so that we could all fit in together.

Anyway, by 10am we were on the boat. It was still a bit drizzly but was already starting to warm up so we sat up on the top to get the views of the Statue of Liberty as we approached. We could also get a better view of the clouds lingering over Manhattan.

By the time the boat docked on Liberty Island the sun was out and it was getting quite warm so we decided to stop and get a drink and some snacks before we walked around the island.

Crisps as big as Izzy's head!

Izzy had spotted people wearing green foam Statue of Liberty hats yesterday and so getting her one of them was the first order of the day along with using some of her spending money to buy a Liberty bear. Izzy must have hundreds of cuddly toys and despite us constantly trying to get her to look at different souvenirs she always ends up with a cuddly toy.

Continued below...

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 17, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

Buy now the sun was shining and had burnt away the clouds over Manhattan meaning we got a much better view of the skyline. We spent a lovely morning wandering around the island, soaking up the sun and taking photos.

The only problem we had was that we foolishly hadn’t brought sun cream with us with it being so grey and damp that morning. Jeff burnt his head and Abi and I burnt our shoulders. Only Izzy remained untouched. Thankfully she had her shoulders covered and has such thick hair that her head was reasonably protected (that and her foam hat)!

Rule number 2: Take your sun cream with you regardless of what the weather is like in the morning!

We also took the opportunity to take another comparison photo to prove how much Abi had grown since our last visit.

We decided to head back to the mainland around lunch time. It was back in Battery Park that we got totally ripped off by one of the street artists. The girls were desperate to have their photo drawn for “$5”. They both had their pictures drawn which looked exactly the same and not much like the girls. He then wanted to charge us an extra $15 per picture for the mount. We were totally gullible and paid it as we didn’t want the pictures to smudge if we rolled them! So $40 lighter for a couple of crappy pictures that are still in the same carrier bag at home that we bought them in! I doubt they’ll ever see the light of day! Lol!

Next up was lunch as we were getting quite hungry. We knew exactly where we were heading. My good friend Sarah (SarahJayne on here) had recommended we try a little pizza place called Adrienne’s Pizzabar in the financial district. They’d been there before and hugely recommended it. We had to use Google maps to find it as it really was tucked away.

It was in a cute little street full of restaurants that was clearly used more by locals than tourists. I didn’t take a photo of the street so have borrowed this one from Pinterest to show you what it was like.

It was a fabulous recommendation as the pizza was amazing! The whole place had a very European feel to it and you would never have guess you were in the middle of New York.

From here we made the mistake of getting back on the hop on hop off bus! Our tickets were valid for 3 days which is really too long and next time we’d for 24 hours and use the Subway the rest of the time. The bus is great for sightseeing but incredibly slow as a means of transport. Given that we’d done this route yesterday we really should have just caught the Subway back to our apartment rather than losing almost 2 hours seeing the exact same things we saw yesterday. The Subway would have been a much cooler option too as we all felt a little frazzled by the time we got back to the apartment.

We had a couple of hours chilling with the air con before decided that we needed to do a bit of shopping. We hadn’t done any yet today! Both the girls and I are big fans of Bath & Body Works and so this was where we really wanted to go. This time we decided to travel by Subway though and it was so much quicker and easier. The subway (N, R & W lines) was just a 3 minute walk from our apartment and so simple to use.

It was a straight line down to Madison Square Park and a short walk to Bath & Body Works. As you would expect, copious amounts of smellies were purchased and all 3 of us came out happy girls (Jeff was indifferent)!

We weren’t hungry enough to have a big dinner and we felt too tired to sit in a restaurant anyway so instead we hit Walgreens that was opposite Bath & Body Works and bought a selection of snacks and sandwiches and took them back to our apartment for the evening.

Normally we don’t like sleeping with air con on because of the noise but it was so hot and stuffy that we were grateful to have it and so exhausted that we all fell asleep with it on despite the noise.

Tomorrow: One World Observatory

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk

Edited at 09:07 PM.
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 17, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinkletoes47
VIP Dibber

Loving your trippy, thanks for posting

DRP 7 times to date!
Anaheim 1984, 1995, 2005
Miami and Kissimmee 1992, Highland Reserve 2011
Universal Cabana Bay, Disney Caribbean Beach, Miami, Key West 2015
New York New York Las Vegas 2016
NYC and Los Angeles 2017
Chicago to Vegas Route 66 Road Trip 2019
Twinkletoes47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Yay for Adrianne's pizza place! I loved that restaurant and that street. It's proper New York to me (and proper NY pizza!)
I'm so glad you went for it and enjoyed it and I think you sat at the same table we did!

Scary toilet lady though! You're right though - could have happened anywhere. Glad you were all ok

Looking forward to the next installment
Old 11 Apr 17, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney4Three
Very Serious Dibber

Another great day. Pizza looks amazing definitely on my list for August
Disney4Three is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 17, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

Another lovely day! Pizza looked good - I do love pizza!
Old 16 Apr 17, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

love your report

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 17, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
so good that the weather improved for you
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post

So much for my plan to wait to read this until I finished my Florida trippie...

Fab day - though I am evil and had a little giggle at the woman in the restroom. It isn't New York without a couple of encounters like that one!

My son (10) is very keen to go out to the Statue of Liberty - but when I last went (1998, I think) it was all very different. What did you find for your kids to do out on the island other than go into the statue/see the little museum?

Thanks for taking the time to do this - I loved the "then and now" photos.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Stone Street is back on our agenda for next week - we enjoyed the biergarten there.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List