Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Apr 17, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

The Grand Tour...Day 27 NYC

This morning we were going to Chelsea Market, I was really looking forward to this. We had planned to visit here in Dec 2014, however we experienced an awful delay so ran out of time and had to put this on the backburner unfortunately. However today we had no delays so we arrived around 8.30am, it opened at 8am so I was expecting it to be heaving but we were pleasantly surprised.

I had planned to grab breakfast in Fat Witch as DH and DS love brownies, we stopped there first and they tried a sample of brownie but weren’t impressed so we left. I was surprised as I had only ever heard good reports, they said they were dry and crumbly which they obviously don’t like.

Instead we went to Amys Bread, it was very good! The staff were fab, so attentive and helpful, we all had a ham/cheese croissant and a coffee, it came to $40 so not the cheapest option.

We really loved the market, it was quite funky but in a unique way, kind of summarises my family! So glad we had the time to visit it. I spotted lots I wanted to buy…we may be back.

From here we walked up to the highline entrance on W16th and walked along the innovative creation, such a brilliant idea to make use of a disused rail track. What I liked best is that it gave you a different perspective of the city, above the hustle and bustle. We walked up to 34th street enjoying the views, it was busy at times but overall it was bearable.

It had started to really warm up so we went via the apartment to change into appropriate clothing. We grabbed a picnic some snacks in Whole foods and went towards Central Park, however the kids spotted Halal Guys so we grabbed two dishes from there as well for lunch! We hung about by Pinebank Arch Bridge for a while eating and people watching, it was nice to see so many people doing the same. This funny guy turned up with a bright pink pushchair which caught our eye, then four Chihuahuas jumped out all going in their own direction, he then spent half an hour chasing them around.

There was lots of softball games going on in Heckscher ball field so we sat and watched that for a while, it's so competitive and got quite heated at times but it was fun to observe.

Typically after we had put shorts on the weather started to turn and got a little cloudy so we proceeded towards Lexington Ave exit, we had a look around Bloomingdales, I don't know what it is about this shop but I really don't like it so we weren't there for long. We popped over to Sprinkles and ordered a cupcake from the ATM, it was such fun! We ordered a red velvet and coconut chocolate, $4.50 each but they were delicious!

We had a booking at Dylan's and were a little early but thought we'd chance it anyway, we first had a wander and grabbed some pressies for my nieces and nephews back home. We were in luck and managed to bring our booking forward and got seated in a cupcake! We were only there for a drink as I was desperate to try a nerd mojito which I ordered, DH had a 'best of both worlds, and the kids shared a desert of a cookie and ice cream basically and had a soda each. The mojito was good and everyone else was happy with their choices!

As we had eaten so much today we chose not to go out for dinner but instead head back to the apartment and munched on snacks whilst watching Jurassic World!

Steps today; 19,495

Floors climbed; 69

*Tip of the day *Check out new and unique things!
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 17, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Relaxing and picnicing in Central Park - what could be better?

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 17, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A nice wander around.
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
lovley day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List