Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

New York, New York - May/June 2016 - Day 5 - Coney Island

New York, New York
Wednesday 1st June 2016
Day 5 - Coney Island

Previous: One World Observatory & Brooklyn

The storm overnight certainly did its job as we woke up again to beautiful weather.

We decided on Izzy’s favourite deli again for breakfast before heading to the seaside. I’d been looking forward to this day for so long. I was so excited to get out see the famous Coney Island.

We took the Subway and it was just an hour from Times Square. It’s amazing that within the hour you can be in a totally different World. We had breakfast in the hustle and bustle of Manhattan and before we knew it we were by the sea! It was about 11:30am by the time we arrived.

I foolishly had left the girls swimming costumes in the apartment as whilst I knew it was sunny and quite hot I didn’t think that a) the beach would be that great or b) that it would be quite hot enough to go paddling in the Atlantic Ocean! I was totally wrong on both counts.

The beach was gorgeous. Soft sand and absolutely spotless. The girls were soon paddling as deep as their shorts would allow them and were very grateful for coolness of the water.

After about an hour we decided it was time for lunch. The entire seafront at Coney Island has been completely rebuilt after being destroyed by Hurricane Sandy in 2012. It does mean that it is all totally spotless, brand new and so well cared for. Yes, it has a element of tackiness to it too but isn’t that part of the fun of the seaside?

There was no doubt where we’d be going for lunch it had to Nathan’s for hotdogs and fries. It was just perfect sat on the sea front, in the sunshine enjoying great food with my little family. I’d love to be back there now!

To help the hotdogs and fries go down we finished off with enormous ice creams from Coney’s Cones. They were absolutely amazing even if Abi did get more of hers down her legs than she did in her mouth! I think it was just an excuse to get back in the sea to wash it off personally.

Continued below...

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 17, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

We hadn’t intended on spending the entire day at Coney Island. We thought it would be a case of going there having a look, grabbing a hot dog and heading back.

However, after lunch the girls wanted to continue playing in the sea. So, we purchased buckets and spades and flip flops (the sand was hot enough to take the skin of the soles of your feet by now) and settled down on the beach for the afternoon.

The girls had such a great time playing in the sand and the sea and Jeff and I enjoyed just relaxing and watching them.

By 4pm we decided that everyone had had enough sun for one day and that given it would take an hour bag on the subway we’d better make a move.

On our way back to the apartment we grabbed a giant pizza from the pizza place next door. Izzy was most impressed by the size of it!

After showering all of the sand and seawater off we decided that we’d try to do the Top of The Rock as it was such a clear beautiful evening and we were rapidly running out of days! We’d bought the tickets online before we went but they weren’t for a specific day or time.

When we got there clearly everyone else had had the same thought and tickets for the rest of the evening had all gone. So whilst we were there we booked tickets for the following evening and had a slow wander back to the apartment taking a few photos as we went.

Tomorrow: Central Park Zoo & TOTR

Thanks for reading.
Claire
x

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk

Edited at 11:11 AM.
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 17, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadMummy
Apprentice Imagineer

Just reads all your reports in one. Sounds like you've had a, tiring, blast! We go next month, and this is making me very excited. Looking forward to the next part xx
DisneyMadMummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 17, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a fabulous day! I would love to go to Coney Island but have only ever visited in winter!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 17, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
what a lovely day at the beach
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 17, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

The day looked superb, kicking myself now as would love to visit Coney Island, 1st saw it in the Warriors Movie as a teenager and thought one day! Anyway when me and DW were in New York she convinced me it was too far to go! Next time maybe!

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 17, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

How Lovely! Coney Island looks so much fun & if it were open when we go I would definitely visit!
Old 17 Apr 17, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney4Three
Very Serious Dibber

Great report. Coney Island looks lovely. We sadly won't have enough time to visit in August with only 4 night
Disney4Three is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Ah! Thank you so much for posting this one - the last time I went out to Coney Island I felt like I needed a shower afterwards - but it looks so much nicer now! So yay for hurricanes?

I think DS would love a few hours out there - I hope the weather cooperates (we'll be there at the end of September)! But even if it doesn't...there should be taffy.

Looking forward to the next post (no pressure, lol).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We go on June 1st so I was looking to see how warm it was for you to give me an idea! Looks lovely.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List