Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 10 Mar 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Uber or Lyft - the differences?

So I am completely new to uber and lyft and was just wondering what are the differences (if any) and which you prefer to use when at Disney and why? All feedback welcome and apologies if this is a silly question.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 19, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

they are very similar, they are both ride-share services, and quite often the drivers work for both Uber and Lyft.

I downloaded the apps for both Uber and Lyft before our trip to Orlando last year, I used Uber (but checked the price against Lyft for the same journeys) because for me, Uber was slightly cheaper (and I'd used Uber in Orlando in 2015 too).
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Used both last year and didn’t see any difference. Having spoken to the drivers, it seems the only real difference is that Uber have more checks and forms to fill in to become a driver. I decided that meant we leaned towards Uber as more checks can only be a good thing if you ask me!

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

We use both.
Plus download any discounts for both.
Always check both before ordering then go with who ever is the cheapest!
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
LOUISEACAT
Proud to wear my Ears

Lyft is the app used for the Minnie Vans - so the app must be trusted by Disney.
LOUISEACAT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by LOUISEACAT View Post
Lyft is the app used for the Minnie Vans - so the app must be trusted by Disney.
good point about the minnie vans, I hand't even thought about those!
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I'd used Uber in other parts of the US before and found them great. I downloaded the Lyft app last trip and found it slightly more user friendly and slightly cheaper so continued to use them. Uber was getting bad press at the time in Orlando for drivers falsely claiming cleaning charges.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Our DD is out there at the moment and using Uber, she said they have been excellent
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I tried to use Lyft once. I ordered the car, the app said it had arrived but I couldn't see it. The app then said to ring the driver - I did so and got voicemail so I left a message saying who I was and where I was. He didn't appear or ring me back. I then got charged for a no show. I contacted them, told them what had happened and they refunded me the no show charge. I didn't bother with them again. I used Uber without any problems.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LOUISEACAT View Post
Minnie Vans are horrendously expensive. And my one experience of Lyft has put me off it - Uber all the way for me.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List